Things that go Bump in the Night

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

forestville

Things that go Bump in the Night

Post by forestville » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:22 pm

Does anyone here have any ghost stories to tell, If you have lived or stayed in a haunted house or hotel, do even live in a place that is haunted

8)
Press play on tape

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:55 pm

Okay here's two from me.

A few years ago, I stayed with a few friends at their home in Pembrokeshire. The house is essentially an old converted barn. It's been done very well though and is now very lush accommodation.

One night I was sleeping and I woke up (so am unsure if what I experienced was a dream or not) to the sound of murmuring at the base of my bed. I also found I was lying face down, but even though I could move my head, I couldn't turn over as it felt like something was pressing down on my legs. I called out to whoever/whatever was at the bottom of my bed and the murmuring started to get louder and louder. I then realised it was getting louder because it was moving... towards me.

I felt it got as close as maybe about a few inches from my right ear when it stopped. And I could move. I got up, turned the lights on and there was nothing amiss. Bizarrely I was able to get back into bed and back to sleep. I still can't figure out how I managed to sleep soundly after that incident.

Another incident (this time retro gaming related) saw me in my home, in my bedroom and at the time we had a white cat. I was playing a game on the Commodore Amiga (possibly Superfrog) and out of the corner of my eye, I could see my cat reach the top of the stairs, come into my bedroom, crawl under my bedspread and settle behind my legs. I finished the level, and reached down to stroke her. Suddenly there was nothing there apart from the bed sheets and the hard wooden base of my bed. Going downstairs, I found that she wasn't even in the house. I'd let her out earlier on in the day. What was the white thing that came up the stairs and settled behind my legs?
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:14 pm

I find these kind of stories interesting but that Most Haunted rubbish you get on TV specially that Derek bloke. Just embarassing, i do know one person though who totally loves it and seems to believe it all, i find that rather strange.

If Most Haunted did have an episode where they showed a real ghost instead of some old bloke jumping because he thought he heard a noise it would be on every national paper in the world.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Well , I was watching darts on tv out of the corner of my eye whilst surfing on PC. I saw a 180 scored , so turned to watch the screen to see if a 9 darter was on. What I saw next was the same player scoring the same 180 I had just seen! First 2 darts were already in board , and I knew exactly where in the treble-20 bed the next dart was going to land - and it did! I assumed it was a replay , but didnt seem to be - luckily I was watching on Sky+ , so rewound and found out it was actual live footage!

Now I 've heard of people seeing news reports of major incidents on tv the day before they happen , but never something like that!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:56 pm

psj3809 wrote:I find these kind of stories interesting but that Most Haunted rubbish you get on TV specially that Derek bloke. Just embarassing, i do know one person though who totally loves it and seems to believe it all, i find that rather strange.

If Most Haunted did have an episode where they showed a real ghost instead of some old bloke jumping because he thought he heard a noise it would be on every national paper in the world.
You know two people now. I don't see why you find it strange or embarrassing that someone likes a TV programme about the paranormal. I enjoy watching it. I watch it with a sceptical eye but if I can't rationally explain something seen or heard, I'm generally impressed. You're not going to capture footage of a ghost on camera. Many have tried and many have failed. The problem is they're in a no win situation for the complete cynics (possibly like you psj) because if they ever DID capture that footage, the disbelievers would simply say it was created by CGI.

To the believer no proof is necessary. To the sceptic no proof is enough.

(Although I do hate Derek Acorah too. The new guy David Wells is more believable.)
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:08 am

I have seen a few episodes (the wife likes it) but nothing really much happens. Just another show to pull in some gullable people. I dont want to be a total cynic but the shows i've seen i cant get super excited because there was a bit of a noise and someone jumps a ton.

Derek Acorah really doesnt help matters, i think hes one of the major reasons why many people (including myself) think its a load of tosh.

I saw a prog on ITV about some old dear who interviews celebs and seems to know a lot about them, that was entertainng and 'how did she know that' type of thing.

But a couple of squeaky floorboards in a 4 hour show about 'Most Haunted' just is pretty poor. I would love for a real ghost to appear on the camera or something but even when i've seen the 'highlights' of past shows not much really happens

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:09 am

I'll believe it when I see it.

In my life I've known far too many people with stories but no proof.
真・豪鬼

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:22 am

Such things are often difficult/impossible to prove though.

I'm sure I've told this story before (didn't we have a thread like this once already?), but my ex-wife and I spent just over a quarter of a year living in a "haunted castle" - essentially a 15th century manor house, but with some sections dating back to early medieval times. Many people have reported strange sensations or experiences there over the years, and there's definitely a "bit of a funny vibe" (it's also bloody cold).

Anyway, one night, as we - er... "lay in bed", the light suddenly came on by itself. Not dodgy wiring, as it was accompanied by an audible "click", exactly as if the wall switch had been pressed. It stayed on until I got up out of bed to switch it off again.

At the time we felt decidedly un-spooked, putting it down to a spring in the switch being jammed and then snapping free or somesuch, and just laughed it off. It was only the next day when I examined and fiddled with the switch, trying to replicate the event, that I discovered it was absolutely impossible for it to have been "stuck" like that - the only way the light could have come on, would have been if the switch had been physically pressed - and not lightly either.

So, we now both reckon a ghost switched the light on (perhaps to cop a better letch?)

But how does one prove that? How can we even prove this happened, apart from both telling the same tale? WE MIGHT BE LYING.... although quite why, I've no idea...

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:22 pm

Because you are a nutter.

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:47 pm

Well there is that.... :D

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:09 pm

In the "Blast From The Past" forum I told a story about the poltergeist in my town that a neighbour of mine came into contact with, and I don't have an explanation for that. I wasn't there, but even if that story if half true it's still pretty incredible.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:14 pm

Does it count that I go bump in the night when I trip over furniture in a dark room? :lol:

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:37 am

The Master wrote: So, we now both reckon a ghost switched the light on (perhaps to cop a better letch?)
LMFAO.. :lol: :lol:

Anyway i have a photo at home that i will add to my post later.
It was taken whilst i was walking up an old street in York..

It contains a loop of what looks like energy on the right hand side...

Looks amazing....

RIK

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:01 am

Nothing I've ever seen has been as scary as...

...THE USBORNE BOOK OF GHOSTS.

There were some ghost pictures in there. The one of a tall, cowled monk standing in front of an altar still makes me wet myself.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:08 am