Gym addicts?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Gym addicts?

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:17 pm

About 18 months ago , I joined the local leisure centre , mainly for the swimming . I started using the gym there and sauna , and then moved onto the circuit sessions (all free with my annual membership)

I have found since then that I have become addicted to doing these circuit sessions , several times a week , quite often doing a 'spiining' class for 45 minutes , then immeadiately afterwards a circuit course lasting 45-60 mins.

The thing is that it can really become quite addictive. I don't like missing even 1 session , and have found myself going there 4 or 5 times a week. I guess it's good for me , but there are times when I really do find it amazing that I really can't do without it

Are there any fellow gym addicts out there?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:48 pm

I find it boring going to the gym, as for me its difficult to motivate myself on a sport that I'm on my own. I started playing football again because not only do I need the exercise but find it more motivational with everyone being competitive.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:51 pm

sleeper77 wrote:I find it boring going to the gym, as for me its difficult to motivate myself on a sport that I'm on my own. I started playing football again because not only do I need the exercise but find it more motivational with everyone being competitive.
This is one of the reasons I do circuit classes - when there are 15-20 of you in a room together , you tend not to stop
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:58 pm

Even if I did that I would still miss playing football which is what happened. I took up other sports, then got bored so stopped altogether until I played football again. I understand why you enjoy it but for me I would probably give up after 2 weeks because its not my type of thing.

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:13 pm

sleeper77 wrote:I find it boring going to the gym, as for me its difficult to motivate myself on a sport that I'm on my own. I started playing football again because not only do I need the exercise but find it more motivational with everyone being competitive.
same here ,i stopped going to gym and now just cant get my self to go .kid i work with wants to start squash but he is 19 and i am 32 and dont want to listen to him takin censored all day :oops: :oops: :lol:

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:30 am

Yes , go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week for cross training or treadmill running , hopefully it will keep me fit enough to carry on playing football at an age when i should retire.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:22 am

I weight train most days but use my loose weights at home... Gym prices are a joke considering most people hardly go as often as they should.

Works well for me at home.

RIK

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:28 am

RetroRik wrote:I weight train most days but use my loose weights at home... Gym prices are a joke considering most people hardly go as often as they should.

Works well for me at home.

RIK
If you're able to self motivate , then fine - but I reckon that working in a group in the gym , either with friends , or on a group circuit , would see an improvement in most peoples' workouts

My gym costs £350 a year - that's for all the courses , (spinning , circuit , aerobics etc etc) limitless use of the gym , sauna , swimming pool
Plus I get it half prce as I'm a part time student!

Once you've purchased annual membership , that also makes you visit the gym more often to get your money's worth. For exampl , tonight I'm doing a spinning course (45 mins) then a circuit (45 mins) then half an hour's steam and sauna - would cost £10 plus but as a member it's already paid for
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Used to go to the gym a fair bit, granted i was seeing 'changes' as in my arms getting bigger, feeling fitter and yeah once you are into it you get annoyed if you miss one session. But i just cant stand the posers who go, way too many vain people.

Instead i got a dog (!) last year, cancelled the gym, lost 1.5 stone by simply walking him a lot.

Much prefer doing that than going jogging. The people i see jogging are in some tiny 70's style shorts and are skinny as anything and if anything need a good meal inside them !

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:41 pm

I prefer to just jump on my pedal bike, either on the road, or on a static turbo trainer when short for time.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:12 pm

I don't go to a gym. Mainly because I find them too expensive. Besides, when I do cycling, hill walking and climbing you tend to get a good work out anyway. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:10 am

I absolutely, passionately, loathe going to the gym.

I stopped smoking 2 years ago and put on over 2 stone.

Over the last year or so, we've been trying to go to the gym regularly but I'll accept any excuse not to go.

I just can't understand how people enjoy it?
Its not a nice place to visit (well, its okay, I've seen worse, but its still a gym).
The exercise is incredbly dull and tedious.
I don't enjoy it and I sweat buckets (I'll literally be soaked when done).
Afterwards I feel worse than when I started (none of this 'I'm so refreshed' nonsense).
I end up tired the next day as I'm still wide awake past my bedtime.

What am I doing wrong?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I absolutely, passionately, loathe going to the gym.

I stopped smoking 2 years ago and put on over 2 stone.

Over the last year or so, we've been trying to go to the gym regularly but I'll accept any excuse not to go.

I just can't understand how people enjoy it?
Its not a nice place to visit (well, its okay, I've seen worse, but its still a gym).
The exercise is incredbly dull and tedious.
I don't enjoy it and I sweat buckets (I'll literally be soaked when done).
Afterwards I feel worse than when I started (none of this 'I'm so refreshed' nonsense).
I end up tired the next day as I'm still wide awake past my bedtime.

What am I doing wrong?
Used to have similar problems myself, I played racket ball on a weekly basis for about 4 or 5 years, used to feel awfull when I'd done, it never got any easier, body never got used to it and about 1 or 2 in the morning I'd be buzzing so the next day I'd be shattered, I feel a lot better now I've given it up.
Splink!

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:25 pm

I go for about an hour and a half a day. The gym is on the way home from work so I don't have to go out of my way to get to it (which is a bonus). I find it a great stress reliever after a hard day shouting at people at work! :D