Concerts

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

chewy

Concerts

Post by chewy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:58 am

Went to see the Beastie Boys last night, t'was amazing! They played pretty much everything I wanted to hear.
Up there as my favourite gig so far, apart from the damn tube strike.
Anyone like to share gig stories?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:12 am

Seen Oasis 7 times, had a great time at all of them, some of the support acts have been good.

Must admit i get fed up with large concerts now, its not the act its all the people with 1) their crappy mobile phones trying to get some 'great' footage (Have you seen these on youtube ? Theyre dire) in the air and 2) everyone singing along to the songs.

I'm the type to 'sing under my breath' kind of thing and at first i thought perhaps the speakers just werent loud enough but its like turning up to a huge karaoke event ! I want to hear the band not thousands of drunks singing so loud !

Got near the front a few times and its unbelievable how cramped it is, one time i was soooo squashed i couldnt even breath out, couldnt expand my lungs as i was so tightly squashed. Was pretty bad that, had to finally get out of there as i felt like i was going to faint !

Saw Super Furry Animals before they were big in Reading, that was excellent, small venue and right up at the front. Right friendly blokes they were as well.

Might be my age a bit but now i'm quite happy just sitting in a stadium watching a band play, getting covered with p*ss throughout a concert doesnt quite have the same ring to it as it used to !

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:24 am

I just wish I'd gone to see Queen at Wembley - they really knew how to put on a show
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

moshboy

Post by moshboy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:37 am

Haven't been to any concerts for a good while now (maybe my taste in social events is changing)... last ones I went to were Tool and Queens of the Stone Age and Live, which were all good respectively, although Tool was on a much bigger scale than the others.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:09 am

Best concert I went to was The Offspring at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in 1999, cost $40 (bloody bargain - find an arena concert for that price now!) and it was fantastic.

I didn't make it to the Foo Fighters at the Opera House last year, they're my fave band and I'm kicking myself now. Next time they tour, I'll be first in line for tickets. 8)
真・豪鬼

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:12 am

Had a mate who went over to Germany to see Guns n Roses
He said it was frikkin brilliant
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

forestville

Post by forestville » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:29 pm

seen Rammstein 2 times

lacuna coil

black sabbath (with ozzy)

slayer/slipknot

8) 8) :D :D
Press play on tape

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:02 pm

Just got tickets to see Ian Brown next month

MC1

Post by MC1 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:08 pm

In the last couple of years seen;

Slayer
Slipknot
Mastadon
Hatebreed
Disturbed
Trivium (3 times)
Iron Maiden
In Flames
God Forbid
Gojirra
Mendeed
Annihilator
Children of Bodom
Lamb of God
Thine Eyes Bleed
Atreyu
My Chemical Romance
Billy Talent
Plus quite a few more I cant remember.

Off to see Gallows and others next week at Middlesbrough Town Hall. Then in November I am off to the Black Crusade Concert featuring;

Machinehead
Trivium
Dragonforce
Shadows Fall
Arch Enemy.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Haven't been to any concerts for a few years. Last was probably the best so far (and will be hard to beat). Was privileged to see Brian Wilson perform SMiLE at Manchester Apollo. I cannot begin to describe just how moving, emotional, energetic and thoroughly engrossing that show was. Pure magic.

Thoroughly enjoyed It Bites back in the day and their Manx Apollo show ranks as a goody.

Frank Dunnery (ex-It Bites front man) also put on some great early shows - saw him at The Duchess in Leeds - just Frank and an acoustic guitar. Fantastic 'personal' show. And the finale of Still Too Young To Remember (my fave all-time piece of work) was just incredible - he stopped singing at one point to listen to all us fans do his job! Fan-tastic!

Joe Satriani also kicks serious butt. Sure, there is no moshing (as with some It Bites tracks (especially CATHeroes)) but his command of the audience is marvellous. And Stu Hamm on bass is just incredible! His recorded works involve lots of emotion and on stage his works seem to come alive.

Missed a good few goodies over the last few years, most notably Journey (twice! :cry: ) but I hope to catch them soon enough. And Joe again. And Brian. And would love to experiene Zappa Plays Zappa.

And, yes, I have seen SSSputnik numerous times. Love them. :D

Rock-On everybody!

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:29 pm

I'm not big on going to concerts but I have been to see Turin Brakes twice now and am hoping to see them again this year.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:36 pm

MOTLEY CRUE!!!!!!! You gotta see the Crue!!!! they were awesome in july!!!!!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

bosher

Post by bosher » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:39 pm

been to quite a few concerts, oasis, the go! team, the young knives, libertians, babyshambles (i was dragged to the last two).

the best gig ive been to was oasis at manchester, a red hot summers night covered in sweat, beers and censored. mint. but i have to say i would give my life to see the la's. thank god someone gave lee mavers a guitar, pure leg-end
davey bosher says relax!

chewy

Post by chewy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:18 am

MC1 wrote:In the last couple of years seen;

Slayer
Slipknot
Mastadon
Hatebreed
Disturbed
Trivium (3 times)
Iron Maiden
In Flames
God Forbid
Gojirra
Mendeed
Annihilator
Children of Bodom
Lamb of God
Thine Eyes Bleed
Atreyu
My Chemical Romance
Billy Talent
Plus quite a few more I cant remember.

Off to see Gallows and others next week at Middlesbrough Town Hall. Then in November I am off to the Black Crusade Concert featuring;

Machinehead
Trivium
Dragonforce
Shadows Fall
Arch Enemy.
Someone went to Download last couple of years I'll bet! :)
I went to the 06 Download, was the best weekend I've ever had.
Saw Ozzy and Sabbath at Aylesbury Civic Centre a few years ago. Tiny venue+massive band=7,000,000 types of awesome.

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:48 am

I used to live just round the corner from a major concert venue in Switzerland for some five years, so I was usually there at least once a week during the season. Mostly black, death and gothic metal stuff. Good times.