Samsung E900 Bluetoothing into others peoples mobile phones

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rtrgrl78

Samsung E900 Bluetoothing into others peoples mobile phones

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:19 am

My Sister-in-Law, got a Samsung E900 for her Birthday, and I was sending her some ring tones from my Nokia 6310i (I think that’s the model) via Bluetooth and my Brother who was sat there, said he could access all my files, i.e. pictures, videos, ring tones, read text messages etc. He did this and showed me a picture off my phone.

I asked how it was possible and apparently this is only something available on the newer models of the Samsung E900, he has an older model by around a year and it can be done from that one. Does anyone know further information; this fascinated me, and how a manufacturer has made it possible. Various websites, have given it their own name, some claim it’s a myth and you need software, my Sister-in-Law, and didn’t have a clue, so I think that’s not the case. Like I say any further information or a thread about peoples experience of this would be good. Also am aware this is illegal before I got flogged, though could make a working day more interesting though :wink:

chewy

Post by chewy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:44 am

That'll teach people not to leave there Bluetooth on in public places! I believe you can "lock" certain folders, so they are only viewable by authorised people. When I had my D500 I could do this as well, although they needed to authorise me first...

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:49 am

chewy wrote:That'll teach people not to leave there Bluetooth on in public places! I believe you can "lock" certain folders, so they are only viewable by authorised people. When I had my D500 I could do this as well, although they needed to authorise me first...
Yeah I was quite shocked when my Brother could access all my stuff, it makes you think, though especially if someone in work is sat there 'bluetoothing' all day long. What surprised me the most is how Samsung have let this leave the factory, clearly not a hack as my Sister-in-Law is not to anything like that. Very worrying yet quite interesting, I was thinking before also, could my 'bluetooth' data stick for my laptop that I use to transfer files from my mobile, could that be hacked. :shock:

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:53 am

I work in the mobile phone industry and my bluetooth is always turned off. I'm constantly amazed when I send files to someone else how many handsets show up when I "search" for the handset I want.

There's a story about someone who did a search out of curiousity one day when in a cafe. Found lots of handsets with bluetooth IDs: CID#1 CID#2 CID#3 etc. Across the road from the cafe was a police station. She went over to tell them and they were amazed how far the bluetooth range was.

With blue-jacking so prevalent now, no-one should leave bluetooth on except to send/receive files, or for hands-free.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:07 am

With blue-jacking so prevalent now, no-one should leave bluetooth on except to send/receive files, or for hands-free.
I can't decide if 'blue-jacking' sounds cool or perverse.

I haven't owned a mobile in about 4 years now as i didn't really see the point of carrying it around and keeping it charged so that no-one could ring me.

I only ever used to get the occasional text from the missus, which all read "where are you?"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:22 am

And if your car breaks down somewhere obscure you'll find out the point ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:28 am

That has actually happened to me a couple of times, although I never drive too far (to work and then home again I refuse to drive any further and my partner likes driving (and she's and avid mobiler)) so I know that I'm never more than a couple of minutes walk from either a petrol station or phone box.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:53 pm

Then no, there's probably no reason to have one.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:35 pm

This would be the next big scare in the media being similar to using somebody elses Wifi without the owners permission. Just shows we are still way behind in digital security but probably always will be as new hacks are constantly found out. That is why I steer well away from having a Wifi connection, since I've seen how easy it is to hack into even if it is encrypted.