My PS2 is dying!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:26 pm

The Green Hill Zone style socks was a dead giveaway.

(Seriously, look at the pic and tell me that's not Green Hill Zone)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:40 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:I've had mine since launch and it's still going strong, surviving 3 moves, countless trips to friends houses, a vicious attack cat and even beer spillage.

God bless my PS2!! Here's to my PS3 being just as trusty.
I've had mine since November 2002 & never had a problem with it either, perhaps we've got the 2 most reliable PS2s in the UK?

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:01 pm

I got mine in 2002 and it's still with me, working fine. It survived being shipped from the UK to Australia by boat as well.

We approve of the build quality.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:30 am

Dudley wrote:The Green Hill Zone style socks was a dead giveaway.

(Seriously, look at the pic and tell me that's not Green Hill Zone)
Yep, I recognised the socks. And now I have an explanation for everyone who thought I was insane when I told them I thought I had a badger clan following me the other day! :lol:
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:05 am

Yeah I've had mine since 2001 and had no problems.

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:09 am

My PS2 has been consigned to the cupboard as it only now plays 1 - 10 games and even fewer DVD's Oh well on the bright side it freed up some space for more retro goodness.

I had the same clicking noise don't know if its the arm or laser. As I am not very skilled in electronic dabbling I have decided to wait and buy a new one cheap when they are about to stop making them anymore

chewy

Post by chewy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:45 am

Mine clicks, but so far I've not had many problems, just dirty disks not being read occasionally. I've had mine since the day before GTA:SA and the Flat PS2 came out (and it was ex-display,) and so far so good.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:54 pm

My PS2 is temperamental. Either the games work straight away or you have to give it another attmept or 2. Could be a dusty laser but I did give it a clean. Still works, although I have found from others the older PS2s do give the same problems as mine. As far as playing DVDs on mine forget it & when I bought it brand new half my discs didn't play properly anyway, another common PS2 problem I believe.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Apparently playing DVDs or CDs is not advised, the constant wear on the laser is bad news.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:29 pm

djcarlos wrote:Apparently playing DVDs or CDs is not advised, the constant wear on the laser is bad news.
Wasn't that supposed to be one of the main features of a Playstation 2, at least the DVD part?
Splink!

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:44 pm

If I remember correctly apart from the games catalogue that eventually merited the PS2 like Metal Gear Solid 2 & Gran Turismo 3, the DVD was one of the big attractions of the console which made it sell so well.
However there were a number of cases of the DVD player not playing discs properly like mine and in others not playing at all. Ah, and if you got the Action Replay memory card to play multi-region films it did work at the start but for me all films were coming out green later on so maybe a flash bios was in order to put it properly. Not worth it if that was the solution, since the DVD player would still only half play a good percentage of films released.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:47 pm

sleeper77 wrote:If I remember correctly apart from the games catalogue that eventually merited the PS2 like Metal Gear Solid 2 & Gran Turismo 3, the DVD was one of the big attractions of the console which made it sell so well.
However there were a number of cases of the DVD player not playing discs properly like mine and in others not playing at all. Ah, and if you got the Action Replay memory card to play multi-region films it did work at the start but for me all films were coming out green later on so maybe a flash bios was in order to put it properly. Not worth it if that was the solution, since the DVD player would still only half play a good percentage of films released.
exactly - it's one of the reasons why the PS2 was more popular than both the N64 and DC

Mind you , I've never found Sony products to be the most reliable
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:38 am

I didn't mean you couldn't watch DVDs, just that it wears the laser out more quickly if you do.

Anyway, you buy a DVD player for less than a PS2 game nowadays.

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:14 am

djcarlos wrote:I didn't mean you couldn't watch DVDs, just that it wears the laser out more quickly if you do.

Anyway, you buy a DVD player for less than a PS2 game nowadays.
I know thats what I did when my PS2 gave up. Sounds like it may have been my fault I watch an awful lot of DVDs

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:18 am

How about getting another one?
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters