My PS2 is dying!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sonic91

My PS2 is dying!

Post by sonic91 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:10 pm

My PS2 is on its way out, for a while now it has had a problem with loading games, the laser "clicks", trying to read the disc and gives up after 5 clicks, tries again a minute later, usually with success. But now it isn't loading anything, games or DVDs. It worked earlier on today but for the last few weeks it has needed resetting to try again at loading after failing on the 2nd attempt. Now it says "disc read error" on the browser screen after a while and after numerous attempts to load. I'm thinking it's the laser device itself, and if this is the case I can fix it by replacing it, if someone can direct me to a place where I can buy a new laser device. I don't really feel like buying a whole new console due to the expense, I'd rather have a go at fixing it myself (I build electronic devices for a living). I've had the console for about 6 years, and it packs in just as I'm about to make an assault on the difficult races on Gran Turismo 4! Any advice on how I can fix it?

I would've posted this in the "It's all about the games" forum, but since this is RETRO Gamer... :)
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:32 pm

Take one large hammer and start hitting it. You will feel much better afterwards :D

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:34 pm

It sounds like you have the same sort of thing that I had two months ago. I noticed it was making a noise when I first switched it on and it tried to read the disc, though it did still work okay (apart from I would occasionally get a game crashing - maybe once every month or two). I then had it not load at all one day. It made a loud clicking noice and nothing loaded, so I switched it off and on and it eventually worked.

After that I put the PS2 on its side and that seemed to help, but I didn't want to damage it more, so I looked on the internet and found that most of the time it's the laser arm guide that wears out. I got one from eBay and it's worked perfectly ever since.

The arm is the white plastic bit that is on the coil:

What was happening was the two lumps on the bottom of the guide were slightly worn and were jumping over the grooves on the coil.

I hope this helps.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:13 pm

Thanks, necronom. Funny you should mention the laser arm, though, since a minute after I posted the first message I went straight to Ebay and bought a new laser arm, so hopefully it will work. If not, I'll take Sega2006's advice.
Last edited by sonic91 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:35 pm

The clicking is actually morse code - it's a subliminal message from Sony telling you to buy a PS3
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:11 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:The clicking is actually morse code - it's a subliminal message from Sony telling you to buy a PS3
Not very subliminal if you can hear it then. Maybe that part of it has broken as well. :lol:

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:31 am

What your experiencing is one of the most common faults of PS2's - the laser dying or the drive mechanism going funny!

What people probably don't realise is that Sony have made their PS2's to 'self-destruct' straight after their warrenty period and hence encourage you to buy another one :lol:

It's all in their plan to rob you of more & more money :lol: :lol:

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:45 am

I think I've had mine for almost 7 years, and the plastic wearing out is the only "fault" I've ever had. It cost about £2 to fix.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:29 am

I've had mine since launch and it's still going strong, surviving 3 moves, countless trips to friends houses, a vicious attack cat and even beer spillage.

God bless my PS2!! Here's to my PS3 being just as trusty.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:46 am

sonic91 wrote: I went straight to Ebay and bought a new laser arm.

Sonic91. Yesterday.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:54 am

A friend of my cousin once had a similar problem with his Amiga 1200. Convinced the drive head required cleaning he proceeded to run a blank floppy disk under the cold water tap which he then inserted into his Amigas disk drive. Suffice to say a greasy drive head was the least of his Amiga woes after that day.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:01 am

DrBlue wrote:A friend of my cousin once had a similar problem with his Amiga 1200. Convinced the drive head required cleaning he proceeded to run a blank floppy disk under the cold water tap which he then inserted into his Amigas disk drive. Suffice to say a greasy drive head was the least of his Amiga woes after that day.
:shock: :shock:

What an idiotic thing to do!

Why didn't he just put it in a washing machine? That would have cleaned it...

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:02 am

Well we suggested that, but he wasn't having any of it.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:27 am

Dudley wrote:
sonic91 wrote: I went straight to Ebay and bought a new laser arm.

Sonic91. Yesterday.
How did my photo get on the internet!? :wink:

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Dudley probably has spies everywhere. :shock: