Retro North Feedback Thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:12 am

Oh - and the rest of you can get RGCD 03 tomorrow. I've uploaded it but haven't sorted out the html yet!
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:12 am

TMR wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:Edit - the pics on the Weekend Gamer site have a few captions, just hover the mouse over the pic...
Ahh... alt tags don't appear when you do that with Opera, y'need to right click and select "Image properties" - the tag will be the title of the window that opens (for any Opera users who didn't already know =-)
Don't use alt tags, use/add title ones. Then it'll work on all browsers.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:20 am

A great day out, got to meet some guys from here and everybody seemed really pleasant. Like RetroRik, who hammered me at Track & Field, the only downside was the Steve Pickford Q & A, he seemed like a really decent guy with plenty to share but I just couldn't hear anything he was saying, I noticed the session was being videod, would it be possible to see that at some point, assuming that turned out ok.
Splink!

devilman

Post by devilman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:21 am

RetroRik wrote: I was a Track 'n' Field god..!! :D but got put in my place on Hypersports. :(

I only have one bad point to talk about... The Q+A with Steve Pickford was impossible to hear.. The mic had feedback so it wasn't used and as everyone continued to play the Arcade machines in the same room and the noise from the bar also in the same room i couldn't hear a thing. :(
Heh, I put two and two together after the even and realised the Rik who kicked my arse on T&F was the same Rik from here! Not really my game.. though I did better once Neo Drift Out was hooked up. :)

It was a shame that the microphone played up though as the Q&A session was really interesting.. we just had to strain a bit to hear it!

As this was my first visit to an event of this kind I wasn't really sure what to expect but now I do, I'll see if I can set up my own little stall of some kind next time with a few bits and bobs to play.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:22 am

Heavy Stylus wrote:A couple of small complaints: First up, is the lack of attendance from Darran from RG (am I right?)
Darran was supposed to be going for sure - he posted that he was really looking forward to it, and wasn't someone from here supposed to be giving him a lift? Then again I don't see how you can have missed him...

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:24 am

The Master wrote: Darran was supposed to be going for sure - he posted that he was really looking forward to it, and wasn't someone from here supposed to be giving him a lift? Then again I don't see how you can have missed him...
I had to leave early to get back down to kent, so I might have missed him but I don't think Darren made it..?

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:30 am

Ah no - just saw in another thread that he couldn't make it in the end, bummer.

Edit: just wanted to point out that I'm using the word "bummer" in the sense of an event which frustrates or disappoints... I wasn't calling Darran a bendy Herman

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:45 am

devilman wrote:
RetroRik wrote: I was a Track 'n' Field god..!! :D but got put in my place on Hypersports. :(

I only have one bad point to talk about... The Q+A with Steve Pickford was impossible to hear.. The mic had feedback so it wasn't used and as everyone continued to play the Arcade machines in the same room and the noise from the bar also in the same room i couldn't hear a thing. :(
Heh, I put two and two together after the even and realised the Rik who kicked my arse on T&F was the same Rik from here! Not really my game.. though I did better once Neo Drift Out was hooked up. :)
Hey devilman..

Now i know who you were... :D

You put up a good fight but i have the fastest fingers in the west ( 9 seconds on the Hundred metres ) :wink:

It's the two fingers on each button style that makes the difference.

Hope to meet you again at the next event. :D

Regards

RIK

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:38 am

RetroRik wrote:
devilman wrote:

Hey devilman..

Now i know who you were... :D

You put up a good fight but i have the fastest fingers in the west ( 9 seconds on the Hundred metres ) :wink:

It's the two fingers on each button style that makes the difference.

Hope to meet you again at the next event. :D

Regards

RIK
You've still got some work to do

:D

http://www.juegos.luisbabboni.com.ar/hy ... lympic.htm
Splink!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:08 pm

Just have to say it was a good event - I didn't get to meet everyone & would of loved to of seen people wear name badges with out Retro Gamer usernames on or something - I thought me wearing an SF2 t-shirt was a dead give-away as to who I was (and most of you have seen the pic with the gun)

I was a little disappointed about some of the competitions not happening but all was redeemed when some people decided they liked my Amiga more than I did :lol:

We had lots of competitions on my Amiga - Project-X, Pinball Dreams, Dyna Blaster and more. It was good to see some competitive spirit.

Unfortunately not so many people were interested in my Playstation - except for the hardcore beat 'em up fans. Plenty of decent SF2 competition there for me :D

It was a little unfortunate that the Q&A with Steve Pickford was so hard to hear what was being said.

One thing I am hoping is that another Retro North/Midlands/South event happens - I'm already making preparations to bring more than two machines (I'm thinking of bringing at least 4 machines + TVs next time)

It was good to finally put faces to names - I met SirClive, Opa-Opa, KID, Felgekarp, witchfinder and others which really did put a smile on my face. SirClive & Opa-Opa are really funny guys 8)

I thought witchfinder brought a really good variety of machines and was impressed with the Atari 2600 hence my need to buy one.

Best part of the event was I left with 2xWGTV DVDs (I bought one of SirClive and then won another in the raffle :lol: ), and Atari 2600 'woody' and 2x N64's (and a shed load of PSX demo discs :lol: ) on top of what I brought to the event.

Keep up the good work Keith! & thanks for laying on a decent event! Hope for more to come!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoted from previous thread
CodenameMAT wrote:I got my arse handed to me big time on SF2 by a guy who I later learned was Woody Cool (the Street Fighter II shirt should have gave it away to be honest Wink ) gg mate.
There was some good competition, it was close between me and Koopa and there was some other person who I didn't know, who challenged me to SF2 and he was pretty difficult to beat. I need to improve a bit more - there was some close SF2 games going on!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the event Mat. I hope everyone else did!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:34 pm

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:51 pm

I was very impressed with that bartop cab, I thought it was an excellent piece of kit, does anybody know who's it was?
Splink!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:00 pm

I was rather impressed too, what a nice looking machine :D

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:35 pm

The PA system was a complete disaster. The original one I had basically blew up on Friday night so there was a mad scramble to buy a replacement.

However due to the late hour it ended up as some cheap rubbish from Argos, then the Mic we had wouldn't fit the amp that was brought. In the end we had to piggy back it all through a camcorder and hook it up to some stereo speakers. The result was it kept failing and horrible feedback :( Next time I'll invest in a couple of well tested spares!

Darran was all set to come but sadly his babysitter let him down at the last minute and he was unable to make it. We were also hoping to have a Galaxian tabletop cab but sadly Gary Whelan cancelled on the morning and was unable to attend.

I did have several competitions planned and even pinned a few sheets for people to sign up for them at one stage. However as I was walking around and asking people to signup they all seemed to prefer spending their time playing the various consoles throughout and I'm not even sure we could have unplugged Guitar Hero without a riot starting :lol:

Ticket checking started off well, but the chap who was doing it to begin with decided to pop to the loo and was interrupted by someone buying him a pint on the way back. By the time I found out he had been "distracted" for a good 20 minutes. By this point it was easier to just keep an active eye on numbers and luckily we never went over 100 (which was the ticket/club attendance limit). I will be using a chair+superglue at the next doo in an attempt to keep the ticket collector in place!

Overall this was my first attempt at anything like this and was very pleased with how it all went. People seemed happy throughout the day and noone had a bad word to say so I would say it was a success :D It has also been a brilliant experience and meant that I've learned a lot when it comes to organising something like this. Next year's will be even better I promise 8)
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius