Yes!
23%
No way!
77%

Total votes: 22

paranoid marvin

British Team?

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:32 pm

Is it time we got together - just like the Olympics - and a team we , could ALL cheer on?

With Giggs on the wing , Gordon in nets & Healy up front , who ccould stop us?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

northern_gooner

Post by northern_gooner » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Voted : No
Its good that we are independent, lets stay that way!
What ever next a Europe 11?

This way at least if England, under McClown, lose we can claim to be British & proud.

If we beat some 5th rate nation, McClown's limit, we can claim to be English & proud.

I think while we have McClown in charge it will be a case of being British much more than English :cry:

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:26 pm

Why not? It works in Rugby. I wouldn't want it as a replacement, but for the odd tour, yeah.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Smurph wrote:Why not? It works in Rugby. I wouldn't want it as a replacement, but for the odd tour, yeah.
That's an idea - a British Lions type team
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:32 pm

No way. I am English and want to support an English team. What next, have a Europe team?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:49 pm

SirClive wrote:No way. I am English and want to support an English team. What next, have a Europe team?
but why ? - would you only support the English athletes in the Olympics?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:56 pm

I don't think it would either appeal to the public to have a British team or make us more likely to win an international tournament, so no.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:04 pm

I agree , I prefer to have an England team to support - primarily because
the occasional home countrys derby is there to be savoured.

The main reason I raised the question is the anti-England feeling that most people seem to have about our (and by our , I mean Ireland, Scotland , Wales and England) national game. Perhaps if we had a joint team , in the way we have other Great British sides , then we could all get behind the players , whether they were English , Scottish , Irish or Giggs
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:06 pm

proberly be more tempted if the scots/welsh/irish had some decent players :lol: :wink:

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Voted No...

It would only start bickering amongst the nations about how many players from each country are in the squad or starting the match..

Then there would be people from each nation blaming the players from the other nations on any poor performances.

And then there is the manager...Just think of the stick Mclaren would be getting from the Scottish and Welsh press now if it was him in charge of a British team in the situation they are in now...

Just couldn't work imo.

RIK

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:42 pm

I'd vote yes, but with the other home nations apparently intent on dismantling the UK it'd never work.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:47 pm

I understand why some people want to keep an English-only side (being patriotic, etc) but to be realistic, despite England being the best country in the UK for footy they aren't close enough to forming a world-dominating side. A British team sounds good, as it brings the 4 nations of the UK together and each country has its own crop of quality players to pick from. (Do you think if Giggsy still played for England [he played for under-15s], they would be a better side?)
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:53 pm

sonic91 wrote:I understand why some people want to keep an English-only side (being patriotic, etc) but to be realistic, despite England being the best country in the UK for footy they aren't close enough to forming a world-dominating side. A British team sounds good, as it brings the 4 nations of the UK together and each country has its own crop of quality players to pick from. (Do you think if Giggsy still played for England [he played for under-15s], they would be a better side?)
Well , I think if Giggs played for England senior team he wouldn't have retired

With Giggs on the left and Beckham on the right , England would have been a far stronger side.

I mean , as an opposing team , which do you try and stop? Try to stop both , and you've got Cole/Lampard/Gerrard tearing through the centre
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:57 pm

My point exactly. Grab a few other quality players from the home nations and there you have it: a team with much more chance of winning major competitions.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:04 pm

sonic91 wrote:My point exactly. Grab a few other quality players from the home nations and there you have it: a team with much more chance of winning major competitions.
The problem is that some (most?) would rather win nothing , or not even qualify , rather than suceed as one united kingdom.

Hey , I don't blame them - personally I prefer to be classed as English rather than British , or even European .

But there are times when it's good to succeed together - especially when sticking one up the Aussies with the Great Britain Rugby League team , or putting the Yanks in their place with the European Pool team in the Mosconi Cup , or at golf in the Ryder Cup
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"