They do though :wink:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:50 am

Actually they "have to" hate no-one.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:57 am

Dudley wrote:Actually they "have to" hate no-one.
no , I'm sorry , but as a fan of a football team , you HAVE to hate at least 1 rival club (obviously in a non-violent way!)

As a Preston fan back in the '80s , with little prospect of promotion or reegation (and before the advent of the play_offs) the highlight of the season were the league games against Blackpool
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:08 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Dudley wrote:Actually they "have to" hate no-one.
no , I'm sorry , but as a fan of a football team , you HAVE to hate at least 1 rival club (obviously in a non-violent way!)

As a Preston fan back in the '80s , with little prospect of promotion or reegation (and before the advent of the play_offs) the highlight of the season were the league games against Blackpool
No. You don't. I must be a very sad way to live.

Of course the highlight is your local rivals but to hate an entire team for being local is horribly shallow and very very sad.

Hell it's basically racism.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:53 am

Obviously you don't need to hate anyone, but all teams have their rivals and when they play each other, they both try to out-do the other to in bragging rights for that match. OK, there have been cases when teams' fans use violence in their rivalry but that is completely wrong. I think it's OK to hat a team if they are rivals as long as you only hate them for rivalry's sake, and not let things turn violent. It's not just the fans who turn nasty, it's also the players. A good example of this would be Man U vs. Arsenal in the 2003/04 and 2004/05 seasons. 3 Matches that are now known as (and referred to in the papers as): The Battle of Old Trafford, The Battle of Old Trafford II (aka Pizzagate!) and The Battle of Highbury. Anyone who saw these matches, even if a neutral, would probably admit they were some of the most disgraceful acts ever on a football pitch, particularly the first match above (the aftermath of the last-minute penalty miss, need I say more!). But besides that, I think it's OK to "hate" a team, but in a stricly professional sense. I mean, I wouldn't even think of going up to a Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal/Man City fan and starting a fight with them, maybe a healthy debate, but the reason I refer to Chelsea as Man U's rivals is because they are the closest challengers for the Premiership title. With the greatest of respect to Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. they may have made som excellent signings but they have done so for the last few years and still not won it. Many people think Liverpool are in with a real chance this year, but that's what they've been saying every year for a while.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:00 pm

Perhaps 'hate' is the wrong word to use
'have an intense rivalry with' is probably a better way to phrase it
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:26 pm

sonic91 wrote:Obviously you don't need to hate anyone, but all teams have their rivals and when they play each other, they both try to out-do the other to in bragging rights for that match. OK, there have been cases when teams' fans use violence in their rivalry but that is completely wrong. I think it's OK to hat a team if they are rivals as long as you only hate them for rivalry's sake, and not let things turn violent. It's not just the fans who turn nasty, it's also the players. A good example of this would be Man U vs. Arsenal in the 2003/04 and 2004/05 seasons. 3 Matches that are now known as (and referred to in the papers as): The Battle of Old Trafford, The Battle of Old Trafford II (aka Pizzagate!) and The Battle of Highbury. Anyone who saw these matches, even if a neutral, would probably admit they were some of the most disgraceful acts ever on a football pitch, particularly the first match above (the aftermath of the last-minute penalty miss, need I say more!). But besides that, I think it's OK to "hate" a team, but in a stricly professional sense. I mean, I wouldn't even think of going up to a Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal/Man City fan and starting a fight with them, maybe a healthy debate, but the reason I refer to Chelsea as Man U's rivals is because they are the closest challengers for the Premiership title. With the greatest of respect to Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. they may have made som excellent signings but they have done so for the last few years and still not won it. Many people think Liverpool are in with a real chance this year, but that's what they've been saying every year for a while.
agreed , there is no need to take rivalry between fans into violent conflict.
However , when players start to act in the manner that some have during matches - and in front of these same fans - it is unsuprising that some supporters take this as condoning fighting

The problem of course is partly (mainly?) caused by the press winding the situation up between managers and players before the game , and then deploring the resulting bad feeling being expressed on the pitch as a result.

However much the media castigates the unsavoury action that can occur beween rival teams on the pitch , they are secretly delighted of course. After all which are the games most watched by the neutral supporter
- Middlesbrough vs Portsmouth? , Birmingham vs West Ham?
Of course not , it's Arsenal vs Spurs , Utd vs City or Everton vs Liverpool
These are the games which people want to watch the most as they tend to bring out the passion in the players and in the fans , making the game
exciting to watch
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:36 pm

"Have an intense rivalry with" is certainly a much better way of describing it, and I agree that the press don't help on occasions, we all know they like to stir things, however small. As far as the players' behaviour is concerned, they should set an example to other players and fans alike. If they are being watched by youth players, whatever team they play for, it may seem like they are condoning the violent conduct we often see in games between rivals, derbies, etc. Or any match for that matter. Football is played for entertainment, the thousands of people who turn up for matches every week want to see a good match, no cheating, violence, etc., no matter how small the incident. I went to see Watford vs. Man Utd at Vicarage Road last season, and Man U midfielder Ji-Sung Park dived and won a free-kick in the last minute. Nothing came as a result of the free kick, but it really ticked me off, even as a Man U fan that players still do that kind of thing, that they try to cheat to their teams' advantage.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:39 pm

I would rather watch Middlesbrough v Portsmouth :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:48 pm

MC1 wrote:I would rather watch Middlesbrough v Portsmouth :wink:
:D

What do you reckon of your new sigining Mido?

I think in the long run he'll be a better player than Yakubu , who tbh is a good player , but no way worth over £11million
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:56 pm

I was sad to lose Viduka and sad if the Yak goes. They are both very good players. But...

I am realistic, particulary in relation to Viduka, despite the local rivalry, Newcastle are a bigger club and he was offered more money. No real decision there to be honest!

As for Yakubu, I think stats show that he was the second player behind Henry over the previous 4 seasons for his goal scoring. He did/does have a tendancy to go quiet from Jan/Fen onwards though.

My dad and eldest brother are season ticket holders and they both suggest that Mido looks very good. I have only seen MOTD highlights of him, but after 2 games for us I would agree so far.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:45 am

I think Mido is a quality player. He was great at Spurs and I think he will improve even more at 'Boro.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Liverpool and non Liverpool fans must surely now admitt that we have a team to be reckoned with this season...
Top of the league with a game in hand.
I know it is early days but the quality and depth in the team is there.
I have also noticed that we not only go forward looking for goals more this season but we also hunt down any ball out of our possession like packs of wolfs..!!

The sleeping giant has awoken.! ( now expect to be flamed )

RIK

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:27 pm

We'll talk at 10 games played.

But yes, at the least, overhauling Arsenal for 3rd seems like a distinct possibility.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:41 am

what do you mean 'overhauling'?