Football Chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:30 pm

SirClive wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:In my opinion , this is one thing that football can take from rugby - stop the clock each time there's a break in play , and finish the game on 45 and 90 minutes. It's worked successfully in American sports , and rugby
It wouldn't detract from the game or mean slowing the game down. It would just mean that games where played for the lenghths they're meant to be played for
Problem there is that the ball is only in play for about 60 mins a game, so you would be adding about another 30 mins to every match. But in principle I agree.
Well the ball being out of play is part of the game if it's for a free-kick or throw-in . Time wasting , harrassing the ref , time taken for substitutions etc etc is not. At the moment < time added on is total guesswork on behalf of the ref. Infact if they dont have a stop-clock , they could at least make the 4th official responsible for deciding the time to be added

Oh , and btw I think your estimate of 60 mins for the ball in play is way too high - I would have thought it was closer to 45
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

merman

Post by merman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:27 pm

Sky regularly put up a stat at the end of matches (or they certainly did last season, haven't seen it so far this year) about how long the ball was in play. In most matches it averaged around an hour.

About ten years ago, FIFA were trialling the idea of a separate time-keeping official and a 60-minute countdown clock, giving two halves of 30 minutes each. The clock was stopped when the ball was out of play. Unfortunately it did not come to anything.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:33 pm

yeah his name is andy gray, oops you typed stat, could've sworn it said tw*t :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:41 pm

merman wrote:Sky regularly put up a stat at the end of matches (or they certainly did last season, haven't seen it so far this year) about how long the ball was in play. In most matches it averaged around an hour.

About ten years ago, FIFA were trialling the idea of a separate time-keeping official and a 60-minute countdown clock, giving two halves of 30 minutes each. The clock was stopped when the ball was out of play. Unfortunately it did not come to anything.
well an hour does suprise me - I guess it depends on which team you're watching and how many corners/throw-ins/fouls there are

It would be interesting to see just how much stoppage time SHOULD be added at the end of each half though - I'm guessing it would be substantially different to what is actually given and would give managers (in particular Ferguson) one less thing to whinge about

I mean , why is it nearly always 1 minute after 45 mins?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:50 am

That is pretty much the average. I would prefer to see a 60 minute match timed properly than the way we have it now.

sonic91

Re: Dear Liverpool fans...

Post by sonic91 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:34 am

Dudley wrote:
sonic91 wrote:
Dudley wrote:My apologies, that was clearly not a penalty. You were screwed. In fact in general was that ref watching the same match we were?

At least, Man Utd is still behind eh? :)

And I'd be a lot happier if certain parties in blue shirts could stop being absolute twats whenever anything is remotely debatable, especially when we're clearly, against all possible odds, getting massively the balance of the decisions at Anfield.
Man U may still be behind, but we'll still win it. It wasn't a penalty, Chelsea are a bunch of cheats and I hate them. At least the ref has been dropped for doing a Graham Poll!
Except he didn't.

But thanks for f-ing up a perfectly civil commiseration thread with hate filled bollocks.
:!: :?: :?
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

Dudley

Re: Dear Liverpool fans...

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:52 am

sonic91 wrote:
Dudley wrote:
sonic91 wrote: Man U may still be behind, but we'll still win it. It wasn't a penalty, Chelsea are a bunch of cheats and I hate them. At least the ref has been dropped for doing a Graham Poll!
Except he didn't.

But thanks for f-ing up a perfectly civil commiseration thread with hate filled bollocks.
:!: :?: :?
Which bit is confusing.

The Ref didn't do a Poll. It's that simple. That would have involved showing a player 3 yellow cards, he didn't even show the same player 2.

And as for the rest, read the first post, then you come storming in with typical idiot football fan "Chelsea are cheaters" rhetoric.

None of us are 7 years old thanks.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:31 pm

It appeared to a lot of people (including the commentator and pundits on MOTD) that the ref appeared to show 2 yellow cards to either one or two chelsea players without sending them off, so technically not a Poll but the same kind of mistake. And don't accuse me of coming up with a rhetoric, it's clear to anyone that you refer to Chelsea as absolute twats. Well, you refer to "certain parties in blue shirts" and considering Chelsea were the only party in blue shirts that day, you may not have been referring to anyone else. And by the way, I am perfectly allowed to voice my opinions of Chelsea on these forums when I want to, whatever those opinions may be, without being dictated to by you or anyone else.
sonic91 wrote:Man U may still be behind, but we'll still win it. It wasn't a penalty, certain parties in blue shirts are a bunch of cheats and I hate them. At least the ref has been dropped for apparantly doing a Graham Poll, which the commentator and pundits both thought at the time!
That any better?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:20 pm

You have the right to your opinion.

You also have the right to be mocked senselessly for turning a friendly thread into a complete shitfest.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:33 pm

Dudley wrote:You also have the right to be mocked senselessly for turning a friendly thread into a complete shitfest.
I can't see how you can say that, Dudley. All I did was say what you wrote in different wording. You said you wish certain parties in blue shirts could stop being twats and I agree. You called them twats, I called them cheats. So if I deserve to be mocked, so do you, 'cos you started it. Starting a thread by calling people twats does not make a friendly thread.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:11 am

sonic91 wrote:
Dudley wrote:You also have the right to be mocked senselessly for turning a friendly thread into a complete shitfest.
I can't see how you can say that, Dudley. All I did was say what you wrote in different wording. You said you wish certain parties in blue shirts could stop being twats and I agree. You called them twats, I called them cheats. So if I deserve to be mocked, so do you, 'cos you started it. Starting a thread by calling people twats does not make a friendly thread.
It does with the context I'm a Chelsea fan, which I thought everyone got.

I was apologising for the team effectively stealing a point from the reds. It did NOT need to get nasty. You referred to the entire team and everyone involved as constant cheats, I referred to one specific match.

It's a fairly massive difference.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:12 am

Scholes just decided he couldn't be bothered to play for his country anymore yet still continues for YEARS at his club..? We shouldn't be allowing that kind of blatent disrespect...
Come again? Scholes retired from International football, as he felt that with his club commitments, and his young family, he could not give 100% to England as well. That is not 'disrespect', that is being honest, and prioritising. His club pay him, so they get more 'weighting' than England, and his family are his family. I've met Scholes through my work, and his family is very, very important to him. If something were to happen to his family which required him to be there 100% of the time, he would retire, no questions.

Disrespect? Hardly.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:36 pm

learnedrobb wrote:
Scholes just decided he couldn't be bothered to play for his country anymore yet still continues for YEARS at his club..? We shouldn't be allowing that kind of blatent disrespect...
Come again? Scholes retired from International football, as he felt that with his club commitments, and his young family, he could not give 100% to England as well. That is not 'disrespect', that is being honest, and prioritising. His club pay him, so they get more 'weighting' than England, and his family are his family. I've met Scholes through my work, and his family is very, very important to him. If something were to happen to his family which required him to be there 100% of the time, he would retire, no questions.

Disrespect? Hardly.
Well done! Scholes is one of the best players in the Premiership.

Dudley wrote:It does with the context I'm a Chelsea fan, which I thought everyone got.
And I'm a Man U fan, post what you like about them, but I stick by my opinions of Chelsea, and no-one can change that.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:11 pm

The point being that kind of poisonous immaturity really didn't have a place in an upbeat, friendly commiserative thread.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:30 pm

Poisonous immaturity? Well, that's just your opinion, which you are entitled to, just as I am entitled to mine. If you think my opinion is immature, then so be it. I have my own views of your opinion.