Football Chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:39 am

To be honest he took some major gambles. Carson was a huge gamble, if we had drawn the game in the end people would have praised him after a terrible start with a couple of fine saves in the second half.

If he started Beckham and we straight away went down 2-0 and Beckham was tiring later then the press would have been all over him for starting Beckham when he wasnt fully match fit.

If we win/draw and Carson does well then McClaren looks like a genius, however it backfired and it looks like a major mistake.

I'm just surprised when its a huge huge qualifier like this why he would change keepers

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:45 am

Look lets be honest.. Carsons great point blank save was really the ball being kicked straight at his chest. He didn't actually use his arms, hands or legs to save it at all. He was lucky to be standing in exactly the right place..
If i was in goals i would likely have stood there also....?

He looked nervous from start to finish. So did some of the other players. I hate to say it but we bottled it.

RIK

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:46 am

As everyone has pointed out, even if Robbo is having a tough time, Clamity James is having a great season and is the number 2 keeper so why not play him..?
I don't blame Carson for having a bad game because he never, he made one mistake, early on and we should have been able to shrug that off as an "oh well, they can have that one" type of goal. The 2nd goal was the defence fault, standing around with their arms in the air like they want to ask Miss if they could go for a wee-wee... In the 2nd half Carson made a couple of good stops, one of them was even intentional so I think he had a good game under the pressure and condictions.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:57 am

Yeah his point black shot at him was a fluke but a good fluke ! He was obviously at fault on the first goal but the 2nd and 3rd goals i thought the defence was at fault. On the second there were two England defenders running with the guy but they let him move ahead and he got the ball and scored.

The third there was simply bad marking and to be fair it was a great shot. We only had a couple of chances and no decent shots from a distance.

I dont blame solely the goalie at all, the defence were terrible, the attack didnt do much apart from Crouch. Beckham did well after coming on but oh well.

Hasnt sunk in yet properly. Will do next summer big time ! Cant even cheer on another country like most people did with Ireland in World Cup 94.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:28 am

sonic91 wrote:
sleeper77 wrote:England aren't as good as they think they are.
Sums it up completely. Who'll be the scapegoat this time?
As a Scot i'll happily point out that on paper England easily have potentially the best team in the world, they just never seem to get it together when they play. The media doesn't help this at all though, they act like you already ARE the best team in the world and WILL win every game, it's like you only really need to turn up to win. Without the passion, hard work and tactics though you're never gonna win anything.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:16 am

Just like they often go on about the fans have to get behind the team (And not boo Lampard or Bentley when he plays) i think the media do as well. In so many past Euro/World Cup's the media totally slate the team if they draw their first game 0-0 and slate every player, but then of course they change their mind once England do the usual and get to the Q-Final.

I do think the media have to be a bit more positive than the usual depressing stuff you read after just one game. Whoever gets the job we'll no doubt hear about every mistress hes had etc.

I mean Sven i thought did okay for us, a week before the World cup i think it was and the papers print all the Ulrika crap. I mean how will that help ? Not at all, just winds me up.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:35 am

Large parts of the popular media don't give a censored about the football.

It's all about releasing the juiciest story at the best time to get the most papers sold...

Just before a World cup when the Football interest is high is perfect.

The next manager should just say "i don't give a crap what you write about me, write anything which is not true and i will sue your asses.!"
Then actually do it.

Im sure Joe public would agree with that because we hate the so called paparazzi ( craparazzi ) just as much..

RIK

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:54 am

Great post. Just a shame when they all go on about being behind England and half the time they make things worse. Not saying its Ulrikas fault we didnt win the World Cup but that sort of crap doesnt help at that moment in time.

If the papers want to get behind England write all the crappy 'Lampard slept with....' rubbish after the world cup ! But nope, as you say they'll do it when its world cup fever to sell more papers. Shame

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Much as I am anti-England football team, (pretty much anti-England altogether!), I have to sympathise with Steve McLaren. It's easy to say it's his fault for England's failures, but there are 11 men on the pitch who fail to deliver game after game, year after year (41 years since England last won a major tournament). No manager gets it right all the time, and even if a team has a fantastic manager it doesn't guarantee them success, the players need to do their bit. In my opinion, Sir Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager in England. But if you put him in charge of Bognor Regis Town against a full-strength Real Madrid side, for example, I wouldn't give Bognor a look-in whatsoever. To sum up, it doesn't matter how great the manager is, if the players don't do their bit, then you are practically guaranteed to fail. The England players have no-one to blame but themselves. It's as simple as that. A lot of them are not talented, they are overpaid, over-rated and only care about being celebrities, not realising of course that it will backfire.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:16 pm

Club> Country.

Anyway what a mess last night, thankfully three positives came from it

1. No Chelsea players will get injured during the Internationals.

2. The 'yes man' Stevie M has been sent packing.

3. We don't have to stomach a humiliating defeat at the hands of someone like Italy, mind you we'd have probably been robbed anyway.

Sorry guys, but I just cannot get excited over the national team anymore, the whole media circus that surrounds it, the car flags.......AARGH!

If truth be told, I was gutted when the third went in, even at 2-0 down I was confident, strange I know.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:35 pm

What you have said stems back to an argument regarding the England national team during the 70s & 80s. I remember watching a documentary on English football a while back & it made comparisons between top flight footballers playing for club & country. For country, they were nowhere near their potential but for the club it was a completely different story altogether. This happened because English clubs were very successful in Europe so there was more to play for at club level. Now it looks the same with the Premiership being considered as one of the very best leagues in the world, thanks to an English team being present at the final of the Champions League three seasons in a row. So for now while club football is going very strong, at international level we can forget about it unless the next England manager can put back the passion into the players. Hopefully there will be improvement, but I don't expect any trophy.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:58 pm

sonic91 wrote:Much as I am anti-England football team, (pretty much anti-England altogether!), I have to sympathise with Steve McLaren. It's easy to say it's his fault for England's failures, but there are 11 men on the pitch who fail to deliver game after game, year after year (41 years since England last won a major tournament). No manager gets it right all the time, and even if a team has a fantastic manager it doesn't guarantee them success, the players need to do their bit. In my opinion, Sir Alex Ferguson is the greatest manager in England. But if you put him in charge of Bognor Regis Town against a full-strength Real Madrid side, for example, I wouldn't give Bognor a look-in whatsoever. To sum up, it doesn't matter how great the manager is, if the players don't do their bit, then you are practically guaranteed to fail. The England players have no-one to blame but themselves. It's as simple as that. A lot of them are not talented, they are overpaid, over-rated and only care about being celebrities, not realising of course that it will backfire.
:roll:

The formation, the tactics, the squad, the team, the training, the diet, temperature of the bath, the type of t-bags, the substitutions.

All of those are (or should be) decided by the manager. He should be a motivator, a mentor, a punisher, a leader.

But what did we get with the ex-England manager? A wimp who has hides away on the bench rather than showing the passion that the players are accused of lacking.

I have no sympathy at all.

I think you only like him cos he's ginger ;)

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:21 pm

Hair has got nothing to do with it, I don't care whether you're joking or not.
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:25 pm

sonic91 wrote:Hair has got nothing to do with it, I don't care whether you're joking or not.
Well football doesn't seem to have anything to do with it either.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:36 pm

SirClive wrote:But what did we get with the ex-England manager? A wimp who has hides away on the bench rather than showing the passion that the players are accused of lacking.
Good quote from the BBC:

"When England needed inspiration from the sidelines, all they got was a man keeping his hair dry with a brolly."