Football Chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:08 am

Anddd he's gone:
The Football Association have confirmed the departure of England coach Steve McClaren.

McClaren's tenure was brought to an end on Thursday, less than 24 hours after England were knocked out of Euro 2008 at the qualifying stage.

England, who only needed a draw against Croatia to seal their place at the finals in Austria & Switzerland, lost 3-2 at Wembley on Wednesday.

McClaren was contracted up to the World Cup in 2010 - but he will not be seeing out the remaining 33 months of his contract after England's first failure to qualify for the finals of a major tournament since 1994.

His reign is the shortest in the history of the English national team
You will not be missed, Steve.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:17 am

I'm glad hes gone but on the other side of the coin some of the old fogies at the FA should also go. Theyre the ones who chose him in the first place and should take some of the blame.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:20 am

Pardon the pun but Crouch in my eyes is the only one that can hold his head high this morning....

My thoughts...

Defence... Rubbish.
Gerrard and Lampard together... Never works.
Crouch as lone striker with nobody to head the ball onto... Bad choice not to start 4,4,2
The pitch... Bad for the money spent.
Stadium Roof that isn't actually a roof... Cheap for the money spent.
Mclaren and his stupid umbrella and how he just walked off at the end.. Disgraceful.
Corners and set pieces... How many times do they practice these.?.
Croacian Manager... Passionate with more idea how to play the big teams.
Summer 2008... Ruined.!! :x

RIK

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:35 am

so he's gone is he? excellent. now to get a proper manager in there who is passionate about the game.
Crouch, imho, was the only one who played above his level. he was in the right place at the right time when he scored. the others were sight seeing i think. Gerrard was looking for the Eiffel Tower.
worst performance ever!
And when Maclaren buggered off and left the players back on the pitch.....WTF :shock: . He's no manager. thats gutless because he didnt want any backlash from the fans.
When England scored both goals, i was celebrating but then who wouldnt. My throat was sore after.
Mark Lawrenson said 'they cant afford to layback now'. and guess what? they did. Croatia scored another and i knew it was over.
But why have an unkown, relatively, as the second keeper? there are many other good keepers in the Premiership. Why not use one of them?
i think al Maclaren sees at the end of the day is 'Money, Money, Money!'
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:48 am

Probably be 'better' to lose 3-0. We always have these games which does your heart in.

I mean talk about emotions, going 2-0 down straight away i was in shock thinking we wouldnt come back. Glad Beckham came on after halftime, the penalty kick was huge (Soft penalty to be fair) and credit to Lampard for that as the pressure was immense.

Then of course Crouch getting the equaliser, momentum was on our side and i thought we would be okay. Talk about different emotions though, one minute so depressed, then the next so happy and then again shell shocked. Even with a few mins left i thought 'nah we'll be okay, we'll get a late winner' but was stunned at the end.

Thought our defending was terrible, again the decision to start Carson was just a joke for a game like that, Crouch the first half did very well and won a ton of headers but there was no one around for him. But again i cant blame it solely on last night, past performances were poor.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:50 am

totally agree. some bad desicions all round. like, bringing in Maclaren!!! :lol:
but at least he's got what he wanted: a huge payoff.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:56 am

Beckham needs to be praised, once that fool manager put him on the pitch he run is legs off, often ending up defending and being the only player ready to go foward once we got to 2-2... Dont forget without Beckham Crouch never really got a touch just a few useless headers..

So he's been sacked then, good. But not good enough.
As for you comments PSJ - your allowed to have a view, but the NFL ruined our pitch FACT.

SirC.. Your comments about the royals being there are valid but if the team can't play with Pride and Passion, skill and determination when the head of the state is there willing them on we have no hope.

This is England, we should have a perfect pitch, perfect attitude and a team full of Pride and Passion. We should sing the anthem louder than anyone else, wear the 3 lions with our heads held high and our belief and skill should never be in question.
When the ref don't give a foul that a player thought he should, we should NEVER EVER argue with him in an England shirt (like Gerrard was), we should never get involved in pitch/player brawls and above all we should scare teams who come to play in England.
There was a time when playing England at wembley was a worrying thought for the other teams but now they see it as an easy three points and an chance to make the English look stupid at their own game.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:12 am

I'm not being biased as an NFL fan, i'm a huge England fan as well but from every article i've read online at the BBC website or TheSun.co.uk no one has blamed the pitch for the game.

Yeah it didnt help but the huge problem is the players/coach rather than blaming the pitch.

Just watching the press conference on Sky News and those clowns are the ones who hired McClaren. I think some of those should go.

I'm angry but again slating every NFL fan for being stupid or saying McClaren should be killed is just laughable and makes any valid views to be not taken seriously.

Whether the pitch was perfect or not i dont think that would change anything. To blame all this on the pitch is a joke.

Past performances are to blame, injuries slightly but also stupid decisions like to play Carson. The players were poor last night on the whole, Gerrard disappeared, the defence were very poor. At the end of the day in this group it should have never have come down to the last game in order to qualify.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:42 am

Capello reaffirms interest.

Would be cracking in my opinion.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:46 am

Well they can take their time as we dont have a game until a few months into next year.

I would like to see Jose go for it but i doubt he would, like you say Capello would be good. Dont think theres an english manager out there who would be decent at this moment in time, Allardyce i wouldnt be keen on, Martin O'Neill could be good but is too outspoken probably for the FA.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:47 am

I just can't belive in a multi million pound industry and in our brand new national stadium the pitch was so poor. It was an embassment for England to play on a muddy, torn and uncared for home ground with 3 week old markings for a completely different game.

That pitch should have been relayed the morning after the NFL played and Wembley should have a proper roof so that when we play VITAL games, in the English weather, in November it's not like a council run kids park after vandals have had a bit of a laugh with it.

Oh and I never said McClown should be killed, I just hope he dies before the end of the day, in some freak accident or act of stupidity of his own doing. Some sort of universal balance / Ying and yang type form of justice is what I was hoping for. I am English, we don't do revenge murders because we love the country, we love the three lions and we love watching people get what they deserve, there is no-way that this idiot deserves a 2.5 million pound payoff for failure and if there is any justice in the world then he won't get to spend it.

Harsh but fair I feel.. :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:52 am

Seriously move on from the pitch !

That wasnt the major problem. Decisions by McClaren to put a young goalie in a high pressure game like this, going conservative after getting back to 2-2. He seemed more interested in not getting wet with that huge great umbrella !

We're out not because of a muddy pitch (again not read one person moan about that on the BBC or Sun website), we're out because our manager made crap decisions. We're out because the panel of 'experts' chose him to manage the team. We're out because many million pound footballers last night played poorly. We played poorly in past qualifiying games allowing some crappy teams to draw or beat us. We're not out because of a frickin muddy pitch !

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:10 am

I agree that we are out because of bad management, poor players and a whole host of other reasons but the pitch was disgrac..... Only joking.. :D

The manager has gone. I hope we can now get our winning football team back, playing with pride and passion and spuring the country on to be nice to each other.

I don't really mind who is our next manager as long as its not Rednap and as long as they work out that Rooney and Owen are accident prone, will never reach a higher playing level than they all ready have and that they need replacing fast.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:19 am

Owen sadly always seems injury prone now and Rooney has gone that way also.

I'm gutted at the end of the day they made it hard for themselves and it should have never have come down to the final game. Worst of all was we had a chance because of Israel.

You look back to those earlier defeats and how costly they were. In Russia on their plastic pitch we were 1-0 up until that dubious penalty (Granted we got one last night) and then we lost in a huge game.

Should never ever have come down to the game last night, we should have won it way before.

I dont think we would have done anything next year anyway so in a tiny way i think this kick in the teeth last night might do us more good in the future.

As always it was a bad game for the heart though, one minute so down, then next minute 2-2 and the excitement is back only for heartache again. Thats why i love footy though, one minute such a low then the next such a high, some great emotions whilst watching the game

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:30 am

Plus you get to have some great heated debates with other football fans :)