Football Chat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:51 pm

my original post about carragher was that wes brown gets into the england starting lineup before carragher, now call me biased if you like but there's no way wes brown is a better defender than jamie carragher, either at RB or CB, but as much as it pains me to say it i'd rather see neville at RB than carragher, thats if i had any actual interest in the england team :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:59 pm

SexyWayne wrote:my original post about carragher was that wes brown gets into the england starting lineup before carragher, now call me biased if you like but there's no way wes brown is a better defender than jamie carragher, either at RB or CB, but as much as it pains me to say it i'd rather see neville at RB than carragher, thats if i had any actual interest in the england team :wink:
Well , even if I didn't have Carragher in my starting XI , I'd certainly have him on the bench . Plus England need as many positive players in the camp as the8 can get right now
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sonic91

Re: Dear Liverpool fans...

Post by sonic91 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:15 pm

Dudley wrote:My apologies, that was clearly not a penalty. You were screwed. In fact in general was that ref watching the same match we were?

At least, Man Utd is still behind eh? :)

And I'd be a lot happier if certain parties in blue shirts could stop being absolute twats whenever anything is remotely debatable, especially when we're clearly, against all possible odds, getting massively the balance of the decisions at Anfield.
Man U may still be behind, but we'll still win it. It wasn't a penalty, Chelsea are a bunch of cheats and I hate them. At least the ref has been dropped for doing a Graham Poll!
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:30 pm

I would hardly call Chelsea cheats for that penalty. Normally Drogba does cheat, but he didn't in that game. The only thing Chelsea are guilty of (apart from a spot of good luck) is harrassing the ref, but Man U are just as bad and other teams aren't that far off.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:38 pm

I don't think that Chelsea are any different to the other Premiership clubs in the way they try to get decisions from the ref

The penalty on Sunday was given by the ref in error , imho the Chelsea player wasn't looking to con him - which makes the ref's decision to award it even worse
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:46 pm

i heard steven gerrard has bought his missus a strap-on so now he doesn't even have to leave the house to get shafted :wink:

Dudley

Re: Dear Liverpool fans...

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:50 pm

sonic91 wrote:
Dudley wrote:My apologies, that was clearly not a penalty. You were screwed. In fact in general was that ref watching the same match we were?

At least, Man Utd is still behind eh? :)

And I'd be a lot happier if certain parties in blue shirts could stop being absolute twats whenever anything is remotely debatable, especially when we're clearly, against all possible odds, getting massively the balance of the decisions at Anfield.
Man U may still be behind, but we'll still win it. It wasn't a penalty, Chelsea are a bunch of cheats and I hate them. At least the ref has been dropped for doing a Graham Poll!
Except he didn't.

But thanks for f-ing up a perfectly civil commiseration thread with hate filled bollocks.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:58 pm

imo chelsea's pestering of the referee is just a extension of jose's tactics, it's not as if it's only chelsea that do it, the mancs are just as likely to whinge and moan if a decision goes against them, in fact liverpool are the only team to never crowd a referee :wink: yeah right, some teams do it more subtle than others ie stevie's freekick at villa, he looked to see where the ref was before the "foul" and glared at the ref to give the kick, all teams do it, and sometimes it works, it's all part of the game we know and love, if ref's had any bo**ocks they'd stop it on their own

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:06 pm

I think that only the captain should be allowed to approch the Ref and that refs should starting showing stright reds to players who crowd round shouting their mouths off.

I also think that the person who was failed should be the one who takes the resulting free kick when possible, this would stop some of the cheating that goes on in the last 5mins of a draw just to get your free kick taker in with a chance of scoring.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:07 pm

I would like to see substitutions banned after 85 minutes. Bringing on a sub with 1 minute left on the clock is cheating to me (and all clubs do it).

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:12 pm

SirClive wrote:I would like to see substitutions banned after 85 minutes. Bringing on a sub with 1 minute left on the clock is cheating to me (and all clubs do it).
it only takes a second to score a goal, and besides substitutions are added to the added time

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:14 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:I think that only the captain should be allowed to approch the Ref and that refs should starting showing stright reds to players who crowd round shouting their mouths off.
This is good.
I also think that the person who was failed should be the one who takes the resulting free kick when possible, this would stop some of the cheating that goes on in the last 5mins of a draw just to get your free kick taker in with a chance of scoring.
This isn't.

It has one obvious flaw. There are plenty of good players who aren't that great at spot kicks. In your plan they would get fouled all the time because you can be certain the free kick is probably not going to amount to anything.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:18 pm

SirClive wrote:I would like to see substitutions banned after 85 minutes. Bringing on a sub with 1 minute left on the clock is cheating to me (and all clubs do it).
There shouldn't be any need - the ref is meant to add 30 seconds on for every substitution

But unfortunately we all know added-on time after 45/90 mins is a load of bollocks and.usually has no reflection on what's happened in the match
How often have you been 1 goal up away from home and seen a minimum of 4 or 5 minutes added on time , to give the home team a chance to score?

Look at most games - unless there's a serious injury I can almost guarantee that this is how added time will go

after 45 minutes , 1 minute added
after 90 minutes , usually 4 minutes , occsionally 5 mins added

I remember going back only a few years , we had no idea how much added time there was going to be. In fact , we didn't even know when 90 mins was up !

In my opinion , this is one thing that football can take from rugby - stop the clock each time there's a break in play , and finish the game on 45 and 90 minutes. It's worked successfully in American sports , and rugby
It wouldn't detract from the game or mean slowing the game down. It would just mean that games where played for the lenghths they're meant to be played for
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:21 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:In my opinion , this is one thing that football can take from rugby - stop the clock each time there's a break in play , and finish the game on 45 and 90 minutes. It's worked successfully in American sports , and rugby
It wouldn't detract from the game or mean slowing the game down. It would just mean that games where played for the lenghths they're meant to be played for
Problem there is that the ball is only in play for about 60 mins a game, so you would be adding about another 30 mins to every match. But in principle I agree.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:23 pm

Dudley wrote:
It has one obvious flaw. There are plenty of good players who aren't that great at spot kicks. In your plan they would get fouled all the time because you can be certain the free kick is probably not going to amount to anything.
Then the person/persons who keep fouling that one player will get sent off for persitant fouling.. and lets face it, if the player is fouled in the final third chances are they are a pretty good spot kicker, if they are in their own half they could always play it back/across to gain an advantage.. It's still a free kick.