I want out!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:24 pm

felgekarp wrote:I'm still at home at 34 so the rest of you have nothing to be embarrased about...
Except for me :oops:

Do I win a prize?

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:25 pm

Yes, If you can find it, Its a free pair of oxygen Molecules

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:58 pm

necronom wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I'm still at home at 34 so the rest of you have nothing to be embarrased about...

Do I win a prize?
There was a piece on the news a while back stating the average age required for a mortgage in south yorkshire was 48 grand, I don't even earn half that and then there was a bit on the radio the other day and they reckoned by 2012 you'd be paying at least 300 grand for a house, just what the hell is going on?
Splink!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:13 pm

felgekarp wrote:
necronom wrote:

Do I win a prize?
There was a piece on the news a while back stating the average age required for a mortgage in south yorkshire was 48 grand, I don't even earn half that and then there was a bit on the radio the other day and they reckoned by 2012 you'd be paying at least 300 grand for a house, just what the hell is going on?
Same as always - the rich are getting richer , the poor are getting poorer
The problemis that the people who have the opportunity to change this are themselves rich , and have a vested interest in keeping the status quo

There was once a group of people called the Labour party who used to fight for equality , but they disappeared in 1994
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:14 pm

felgekarp wrote:
necronom wrote:

Do I win a prize?
you from south yorkshire then .
just finished plastering a beautiful house .would love to buy it .could do if some one said i will always have work on till mortgage is paid .the problem is if i have a few slow months would be well f****d :cry:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:16 pm

Just be thankful you weren't born in the Lake District - it's virtually impossible for any young person there to rent or purchase a house
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:25 pm

I've got two part-time jobs at the moment. I need a stable job before I can move out. I did have a decent job, but no-one there felt secure, then our jobs were sent abroad and my career was gone.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:28 pm

There seems to be one option open , but it's pretty drastic - train up as an engineer , or other qualified skill , and emigrate to a (preferrably English speaking )country that is looking for such skilled workers and has relatively low cost housing

It may sound a little dramatic , but I can tell you that over the next decade or so more and more people will be doing exactly that
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:50 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:There seems to be one option open , but it's pretty drastic - train up as an engineer , or other qualified skill , and emigrate to a (preferrably English speaking )country that is looking for such skilled workers and has relatively low cost housing

It may sound a little dramatic , but I can tell you that over the next decade or so more and more people will be doing exactly that
i would move to oz tomorrow to get away from this place ,its gone to the dogs this country .just got to convince the wife

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:03 pm

Some other things to consider before renting:

Council Tax Band: Find out how much it is a month for the property you want to rent before you move in. Council Tax Band A being the cheapest for studio flats. 2 bedroom and above flats are a lot more a month.

Tenacy & Guarantor Fees: Most estate agents charge for a Tenancy Criteria check to see if you are suitable for the property, like checking up your wages, credit history, criminal records, etc... If you fail the criteria check because like in most cases I gather is from low income, then a Guarantor check will be done. Do find out on what the criterias have to be before you say you agree for the estate agents to proceed, as you have to pay for the checks to be done which ain't cheap. And if you fail, you will not get your money back.

Read the agreements properly: I was told by an estate agent that most people don't read properly what they have to sign. Do it, otherwise you will be paying a lot more than you first thought.

Sharing: Make sure the other person who will be in the same house as you does not overuse water, electricity & the phone. If its halves you are doing then you are gonna be paying around 3/4 of the other persons bill when maybe he/she is living off benefits or works at home. Find out beforehand what the other tenants are like because if this is the case it could result in a bad move especially if for eg. you signed a minimum 6 month agreement & want out straight away.

Private landlords: I've often found that they are better than estate agents. Gumtree is the best place I have seen for flats to rent from all landlords. Check up every day or whenever you are on the net & if you see something good, call straightaway as most good properties go very quickly.

Internet & Sky: This should be the very least to worry out of all the above, although I can't live without the net just like everyone else here. If you go for a viewing, ask if the place has a BT + NTL box & if Sky has been installed previously. If yes, then you are sorted as you only have to pay a service charge with BT which isn't a lot if you later want Broadband with them or another ISP. If there is no BT box but a BT line can be put in, then be prepared to pay a £124.99 one-off charge. You can find out on BT's website if you can have BT broadband in the area you want to rent if you got the postcode. Make sure that the landlord allows broadband connections to be installed if there is no BT/NTL box, because if they say no & you already moved in then you are stuffed.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:06 pm

If you can manage without a car , do so - it's probably the biggest drain on your finances , what with fuel,tax,insurance,MOT, repairs and general maintenance

And TBH if I was short of funds , first thing to go would be Sky - any decent footy matches can be watched at a mates or the pub , and 99% of the rest is garbage
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:14 pm

You may also qualify for housing benefit, depending on rental costs and your income. Your local council should be able to provide estimates based on your income and various 'typical' rentals for your area. Housing benefit isn't just for people on the dole.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:You may also qualify for housing benefit, depending on rental costs and your income. Your local council should be able to provide estimates based on your income and various 'typical' rentals for your area. Housing benefit isn't just for people on the dole.
You have to make sure though that the property you are going to rent accept housing benefit, most properties I have seen advertised don't. Best is if you want a place that does speak to a housing officer at your local council.

sonic91

Post by sonic91 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:40 am

RetroRik wrote:Sonic.

Here is a rough breakdown of my monthly outgoings..
You might be able to use it as a guide..

Mortgage £600.00
Tv License £29.25 - Every 4th Month.
Anglian Water £36.09
Council Tax £60.00
Car Insurance £28.00
B/G - Electric £30.00
House Insur £27.00
Plus Net Internet £15.00
B/G - Gas £30.00
BT - Phone £40.00 - Every 4th month.
Sky Digital £53.00 - With Multiroom.
Food / Asda £90.00
Visa Card £100.00 - Until payed off.

Total = £1138 - This does not include months when Road Tax or MOT is due..

Then theres your spending money..!!

But go for it...Whats the worst that can happen..? You move back in with your parents....!!

Regards

RIK
That's a lot of help! There's a few expenses you listed that my friend and I don't have, I know it's going to be tight for a while but we'll just have to learn to economise. It now seems more do-able than before!
Fight the good fight of faith,
Lay hold on Eternal life.

-1 Timothy 6:12-

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:47 am

Personally I'd love to live in a bus.