I want out!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:54 am

Make sure to make a contract with your friend too, where you write down what to do if... stuff. Like, if one of you have/wants to move out, if one of you don't have the money to pay the rent one month, if something valuable gets broken, etc.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:00 am

One more essential bill hasn't been mentioned - Broadband.

When you're looking at places to live, you'll want one that already has a BT line installed for this, or budget a couple of hundred quid extra for the installation. BT like to have big wads of cash up front from new customers.

Consider that broadband will deliver pretty much all your entertainment needs - music, movies, TV, games and pr0n. Add cheap beer and you have everything 2 guys could need.

A code of conduct should one of you get lucky might be handy...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:08 am

You could do that if youre on 1500 quid but obviously have to be a bit tighter. No fancy clothes, take it easy on drinking, i used to drink a fair bit at home with my mates (cheaper) and then go out later in the pubs and not spend so much

I left home at (ahem) 27 because where i lived (south) was just so expensive. Personally i've never been a fan of renting, just feel its wasted money so had to wait till i had a decent job before i could buy my own small flat.

Saying that you should do it, you'll be able to survive okay just dont go mental buying stuff etc. My folks were alright when i was at home, i was the last one to get a place as all my mates parents spoilt them with deposits for houses whereas it took me a while to save up for mine.

Just make sure you have some sort of contract/deal, seen too many times in the past one bloke gets a gf and then wants to move out or it causes problems etc

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:42 am

Sonic.

Here is a rough breakdown of my monthly outgoings..
You might be able to use it as a guide..

Mortgage £600.00
Tv License £29.25 - Every 4th Month.
Anglian Water £36.09
Council Tax £60.00
Car Insurance £28.00
B/G - Electric £30.00
House Insur £27.00
Plus Net Internet £15.00
B/G - Gas £30.00
BT - Phone £40.00 - Every 4th month.
Sky Digital £53.00 - With Multiroom.
Food / Asda £90.00
Visa Card £100.00 - Until payed off.

Total = £1138 - This does not include months when Road Tax or MOT is due..

Then theres your spending money..!!

But go for it...Whats the worst that can happen..? You move back in with your parents....!!

Regards

RIK

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:32 pm

sonic91 wrote: (BTW, my parents don't seem all that happy that I'm still living at home, especially since my older brother moved out when he was 19! [but he moved in with his girlfriend]).
I really wish my parents were a bit more like that. I'm a 30 year old married bloke who left home 8 years ago (yeah, I admit I should've left earlier :roll: ) yet my mum still doesn't seem to have accepted the fact that I've grown up, she lays on an almighty guilt trip if I can't make a viist for any reason or am late with phone calls....

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:49 pm

My Uncle was close on 30 when he moved out, but then he helped out a lot and was the only one that could drive, though haveing a '63 Sceptre for more than just the shopping

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:54 pm

I moved out at 19, best thing I ever did!!

Go for it fella, like has been said previous, what's the worst that could happen?....

Doctor Pepper.....

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Please dont mention that, its an uphill struggle for me to not go out and buy that so I can save up for a few other things

hanging

Post by hanging » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:43 pm

Im still at home at 29... Mainly through cash ect...

doesnt worry me though - i have my own office - my own space..

Will get out next year though (i hope)
Abandonrom Paradise - Back one day.....
DaFastLane - news, views and random babble

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:55 pm

stay at home ,you will only want to go back :D

also if you stay at home you can get trained /go to college and get a better job for when you finaly move out .if you move out now you will be tied to that shitty paid job just earning to pay your bills and it will get harder and harder to escape

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:42 pm

hanging wrote:Im still at home at 29... Mainly through cash ect...

doesnt worry me though - i have my own office - my own space..

Will get out next year though (i hope)
Same here, :oops: do want to move, but its the old catch 22 situation, can't afford a decent mortgage in a decent area (only work in Admin). Don't like the idea of throwing my money down a bottomless pit (sorry I mean renting) and none of my friends are in the situation to share, not that I'd really like to if I'm honest. Got a good relationship with the parents, pay £50 a week rent, my own broadband, the phone bill and treat them whenever I can, whether it be flowers for my mum, a book she likes etc. Dad, dvd and any books etc. Last year I even took them out for dinner on my Birthday and I paid, its the kind of thing you do, to show you're grateful. Because I tell you nearing 30 and still living at home really gets you down. :cry:

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:50 pm

I have a bad feeling Im going to be in a simlar position, my Mum would proberly not mind, but with my dad it would be a completly different story.
Might even consider a static caravan for a while as they are only about £10k for a few year old one and rates depend on the site its on. Internet can be a bit of a problem though.

jabbawokkie2

Post by jabbawokkie2 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:53 pm

we dropped on really,bought house for £32000 just before prices went stupid.valued at £150000 now .only prob no is we cant get a house bigger then the one we have for that price :evil:

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:56 pm

Yes, same for my parents. Brought it on mortgage in 1987 with ease. Now things are alot bleaker. Note to self, pull bird with very very very rich parents or relitive that is dying and leaving them a house (Yes I know its insensitive, Im only joking and besides most rich people are as ugly as f**K)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:17 pm

I'm still at home at 34 so the rest of you have nothing to be embarrased about, it's partly due to lack of money and prices for houses being insane and my mother not being in the best of health, she's not going to keel over or anything but she does have a few health issues. I pay board, do the shopping, take her out every now and again and pay for stuff doing round the house so I'm not freeloading either.
Splink!