F1 world champ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Who will win the 2007 Drivers' Championship?

Fernando Alonso (McLaren)
13%
Lewis Hamilton (McLaren)
81%
Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari)
No votes
Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
6%

Total votes: 16

RetroENZO

F1 world champ?

Post by RetroENZO » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:00 pm

If we can have a Premiership Championship vote, I put this forward.

Lewis is leading the championship at the moment and Alonso's thrown his toys out of the pram... but with the Ferrari spying row, who will be this year's World Champion?
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:44 pm

Lewis! British driver in a British team, leading the championship :) What could be better? This year has been miles better than any in recent history.

I've always liked Alonso, but he's started to be a bit annoying lately, and the number of times he goes off the track seems to have increased this year. The pause in the last race has put me off him quite a bit.

I don't like Ferrari anymore, since that German ar$ehole joined them years ago and put F1 into the "dark years". It will take a long time for the bad smell to leave them as far as I'm concerned.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:50 pm

BIG F1 fan here :D

I think Lewis has got the upper hand tbh. Alonso is just getting right up my nose at the moment - and no matter what Ron Dennis said, Alonso deliberately held Lewis up in Hungary. OK, Lewis told Ron Dennis to 'Go F**king Swivle' over the radio when asked to move over for alonso! That was a bad error in his part - but thats in the past now!

Head over to a nice little forum that I am a moderator on if you wanna talk a little more F1 - not a huge amount of members yet - but its growing........

http://www.pumaf1.org.uk/first.php

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:04 pm

markopoloman wrote:OK, Lewis told Ron Dennis to 'Go F**king Swivle' over the radio when asked to move over for alonso!
I wouldn't put it like that. As I understand it, he didn't know about that plan until he was sat at the front of the pit lane waiting to do the qualifying. There was a Ferrari next, then Alonso. He said he'd let him through, and set off, expecting Alonso to speed past Kimi, where Lewis would then let Alonso past. Instead Alonso slowed down to get a gap between him and Kimi, so Lewis though that there was no point in slowing right down and let two cars through (one being the enemy). It was a decision he made in the heat of the battle.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:08 pm

The Lewis / Alonso thing is the best thing to happen to F1 in years

Although things are a lot safer nowadays in F1 (thankfully we have seen no repeats of Ayrton Senna's tragic end) the fact that there are so many safety precautions actually detracts from the thrill of the sport
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:14 pm

necronom wrote:
markopoloman wrote:OK, Lewis told Ron Dennis to 'Go F**king Swivle' over the radio when asked to move over for alonso!
I wouldn't put it like that. As I understand it, he didn't know about that plan until he was sat at the front of the pit lane waiting to do the qualifying. There was a Ferrari next, then Alonso. He said he'd let him through, and set off, expecting Alonso to speed past Kimi, where Lewis would then let Alonso past. Instead Alonso slowed down to get a gap between him and Kimi, so Lewis though that there was no point in slowing right down and let two cars through (one being the enemy). It was a decision he made in the heat of the battle.
I didn't put it like that - he said it over the radio to Ron Dennis. That is the reason you see ron throwing his headphones!

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:04 pm

I had heard something about a row over the radio, but because it was in a Sunday newspaper I ignored it (I don't trust them to tell the truth).

I've just read a few sites and they all have slightly different words (some with no swearing at all), and one has this:

Afterwards, Dennis admitted he had a robust exchange of views on the radio, but claimed the comments were "materially 100 per cent wrong".

So, until I hear Lewis, Ron or a McLaren team member say it on camera (or hear a recording), I'm not going to believe it. I would expect Lewis to not be racing in the next race if he'd said that to Ron.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:03 pm

Gotta say Hamilton. Reckon Alonso is an excellent driver but his attitude and actions are only gonna censored off his own team more and in fact likely result in him becomming even more frustrated as some actually will side with Hamilton, reckon he could implode by the end of the season. Raikkonen is good but reckon he's left it too late, Massa could well be challenging next season though I reckon he could pip in for second in the championship.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:20 pm

Mmm. well, Hamilton's been at McClaren for more than 10 years , Alonso's been there less than 1 - Lewis is more like a son than an employee.

It doesn't take a genius to work out who's got more friends and influence in that racing team

It appears to me that Alonso is more concerned about being crowned champion than actually being acknowleged as the best driver. He quite clearly doesnt like having to compete om a level basis with competitors , whereas Hamilton is quite happy to compete with the World Champion on equal terms

Imho I think the chances of Alonso being at McClaren next season, regardless of where he finishes in the table , are virtually zero - in fact it wouldn't suprise me if Alonso wasn't at McClaren at the end of THIS season
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:41 am

Well it seems that Hamilton and Alonso are no longer on speaking terms after Hungary, and blame is being put on different people by different sources. Damon Hill and Mika Hakkinen are blaming Alonso, while Eddie Irvine and Eddie Jordan are blaming Hamilton.

But McLaren have always let their drivers race (unlike Ferrari)... remember Senna and Prost when they both raced for McLaren? There was one season where McLaren won every race... but because of the sheer battle between Senna and Prost it was one of the most entertaining in years. McLaren weren't complaining then.

I think it's become so public this time because tempers are wearing thin in McLaren. The team didn't win any points at Hungary (under appeal)... and there's still the risk that McLaren could be thrown out of the championship if Ferrari's appeal against the spying row goes ahead. Something I think Ferrari should also be called to book for, because the situation between Mike Coughlan and Nigel Stepney could just as well have gone the other way with Ferrari in possession of a 700 page McLaren document.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:25 am

Tbh, if they were both driving for Ferrari and neither had been English I do't think we'd know nearly as much as we do now.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:49 am

necronom wrote: I've always liked Alonso, but he's started to be a bit annoying lately, and the number of times he goes off the track seems to have increased this year. The pause in the last race has put me off him quite a bit.
He lost me when he started trying to run other cars off the road in pre-season testing.
I think Lewis has got the upper hand tbh. Alonso is just getting right up my nose at the moment - and no matter what Ron Dennis said, Alonso deliberately held Lewis up in Hungary. OK, Lewis told Ron Dennis to 'Go F**king Swivle' over the radio when asked to move over for alonso! That was a bad error in his part - but thats in the past now!
Lewis was a censored.
Fernando was a censored.

Only one broke F1's rules.

The correct decisions were made :)

Alonso was ahead of Kimi in the queue and never fell behind.

The rest is Lewis' story, but it doesn't match up. The first lap out of the pits they were both well clear of Kimi and right next to each other, then Fernando gave up.

I think it's fair to say Lewis had plenty of room to let him go.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

RetroENZO

Post by RetroENZO » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:15 pm

Incidentally... McLaren have released a press release today saying that Lewis Hamilton didn't swear in the radio conversations - this was a rumour created by the press...

But they didn't deny any of the rest of Hamilton's statement... so did he just say "go swivel"?
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:40 pm

Has anybody said 'go swivel' since 1986?

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:48 pm

RetroENZO wrote:Incidentally... McLaren have released a press release today saying that Lewis Hamilton didn't swear in the radio conversations - this was a rumour created by the press...
Like I said, I don't trust anything the papers say. That's just proved what I thought when I heard about it.
Alonso was ahead of Kimi in the queue and never fell behind.
In that case, he should have let him through.