Concert for Diana

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:51 pm

The bits I saw of that Diana rubbish were shockingly poor.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:47 am

I've got nothing against big concets like these (wouldn't want to sit all the way though one though), just the reason for this one.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:00 am

The only "big" concert i've been to which was good and had a decent atmosphere was Oasis at Knebworth. However, to be fair, they were not great and the sound reached us at the back a few seconds later than the video screens.

But by the time they came on I didn't really care though as we were mashed mainly due to the fantastic Chemical Brothers and Prodigy sets. Best of all though was being able to walk home afterwards!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:22 am

Grahame wrote:Glastonbury is crap though! I'm flying to Ireland for Oxegen on Thursday. Now thats a festival![/i]
What do you mean, it's crap? This year, previous years.
Have you actually been before?
Glastonbury is not just about the music.
I've been many times and on 3 of those I never went to see
a single band but still had some of the best weekends of my life.

All these other festivals try to emulate Glastonbury but fail miserably.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:25 am

You are dead right. I have only ever been once (1991 I think) and it is one of the best weekends of my life.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:59 am

SirClive wrote:You are dead right. I have only ever been once (1991 I think) and it is one of the best weekends of my life.
I went twice in the early nineties and it was fab - infact the second time round we hardly saw any bands (had to take the following week off work due to excess!)

The vibe was excellent. I wonder if its still the same or is it now too commercial?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:11 pm

SirClive wrote:You are dead right. I have only ever been once (1991 I think) and it is one of the best weekends of my life.
'90, '91 & '92 were outstanding.

People tend to think that Glastonbury goes hand in hand with torrential rain and mud but the early 90's were glorious years.
People who have only started going recently wouldn't believe that you could go to Glastonbury and come back with 3rd degree sunburn!!! :lol:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 pm

The year I went I got the best tan of my life. I mean the best I have EVER had. Not a jot of rain, fantastic bands, amazing atmoshpere. Gutted its so hard to get tickets now.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:57 am

Got tickets for Live Earth off ebay last night - Hope they are not printed on crackers! Also paid £40 to park on an Irishman's drive...............

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:12 am

Getting back to the Diana thing :roll: I personally found the whole thing sickening and morally repugnant. I love music and sat through pretty much the whole thing but I have to say I was gritting my teeth for long periods, and not just when Ricky G was on.

My problem with it is that it's utterly distasteful to me that there is a willingness to venerate this woman. It verges on worship of the dead. The nauseating 'Diana and Me' segments were the worst of all - a parade of people who seem to think it's an amazing revalation that Diana was just like a normal person. Sorry, she was no saint and not even a particularly interesting person. If it wasn't for the slavish devotion of the gutter press and their continuing obsession (I'm looking at you, Daily Mail) she and we'd have been left in peace years ago. It's a sad indictment of the shallowness of our culture that this consituted a major event. Kudos to any act that was asked to perform and turned it down as just too tacky for words. My already limited respect for the establishment of the monarchy took is now microscopic after this seedy pandering to sickly sentiment.

I've been saving up that bile all week, feels good to get it out.
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:39 am

As much as I'm usually prepared to slate the Daily Mail for anything, you're looking for the Express in this case.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

jimbobmitch

Post by jimbobmitch » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:48 am

You may be correct nowadays, Dudley, but I used to buy the Mail (a paper by Nazi's, for Nazi's) regularly for an ex's mother and there wasn't a week that went past without a 'Di' picture or headline. This was years after she died, too. Perhaps they've handed the torch on to the Express.

:x

The semi-deification of this individual is seriously dispriting. I expect to see rumors of her having healed the sick etc. anytime soon. I'm not joking. :evil:
Throwing a spanner in the works since '77.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:40 am

I was amazed as to how normal and laid back Prince William and Prince Harry were. It was as if they were 'one of the lads' with no hint of royalty in them at all. :D :D :D