Android Tablets for Dummies

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

English Invader

Android Tablets for Dummies

Post by English Invader » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:56 am

I've never bought a smart phone or a tablet before but I've found a couple of killer apps that make me want to take the plunge:

Kevin Toms Football * Manager
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tfsm&hl=en

Play ZX:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... apes&hl=en

I've seen tablets on eBay for £50 with Android 7 but when I googled Android 7 the Wikipedia page said only 5% of users were still using it which makes it seem like the Android equivalent of Windows XP. This leads me to conclude that there will be plenty of Gotchas to watch out for. Anyone here able to recommend a good tablet for the two apps I'm interested in and won't be isolated from mainstream software support or security updates?

I've looked on Amazon and they have these Fire tablets which seems to be a proprietary implementation of Android exclusive to them. Will a Fire tablet be able to run the apps I want?

Please help.

DPrinny

Re: Android Tablets for Dummies

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:42 am

PROTIP - Don't buy cheap-o ones off Ebay as they tend to be cack

Anything Android make sure it has a load of internal space (16gb plus) as for some reason they don't let you save apps to the SD card and a few are major space hogs (the KOF allstars one was about 4gb and was s**t)
They can be hacked to do so but its a faff

Games wise avoid a lot of action games
Retroacrh is a decent go to for emulation
Pocketcity/Spacecity are decent Simcity a likes that aren't bogged down with adds and pay to win

they are good for reading magazines while taking a dump, but arent as good for wiping..............

Always check reviews of such things
https://www.techradar.com/uk/deals/the- ... blet-deals

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:54 am

Both types of tablet are great. Android has a ton of crappy games but so has many great emulators

I find the best games on iOS (Apple) as the games are checked by Apple themselves. But you don’t get emulators but you do get a lot of high profile games which appear first in Apple

But android tablets are so cheap. But it seems like most people don’t like buying apps so you’ll get a lot of freemium ones.

Both Apple and google offer a game subscription service which isn’t bad. Normally get a free trial

But join the rest of us and get a tablet !! Can’t believe you haven’t bothered before

From a TV point of view there’s also something called Netflix which you might want to check out ;)

Seriously those two apps are great but you’ll discover loads of great apps to use. Emulators or new games which are retro style games. Also lots of classic games to play on your pad. Also comic book reader apps. You can then download .cbr files and read them via the app. Eg I’ve got loads of old Crash issues I’ve copied onto my pad to view like a book. Very clever stuff

There’s a lot of great stuff out there. Just search for retro and you’ll find tons of great stuff. I was anti ya let’s years back as I like physical buttons. But got so used to in screen controls now I love it. Whole new world for you to discover. So many apps and games

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:07 pm

I've not bothered with an Android tablet in years, mainly because there's nothing of significance to me that they can't do that a Windows one won't do much better, at least so long as your budget can stretch to the price of a decent one. Also, with phones having grown bigger during the intervening period, there's less need for something that basically just does the same things but with a bigger display.

Still, if you're on a tight budget, the Fire will generally suffice. They can still install uncertified apps and Google Play can be hacked onto them in a matter of minutes if need be. Just bear in mind that you're only getting what you're paying for in terms of performance, i.e. something about on a par with a five year old phone but with the aforementioned big screen.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:41 pm

In the end, I went for a smart phone (Samsung A21s) and I've been having a great time with it over the last couple of days. Kevin Toms is everything I hoped it would be. I also discovered Chuckie Egg 2017 and I've even added emulators for the ZX Spectrum and the BBC Micro (they both have very convenient links to game repositories).

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:26 pm

I've had a couple of Cheap ones and generally they aren't brilliant and think they are phones, I'd say aim mid range so it's got a little Oomph and is properly set up.
I plan to at some point install a Smart head unit into the M3, but I need to figure out how much I can customise one as I need it to monitor the car as much as I want it to entertain me (That being said theres enough room in the arm rest to install a Pi if I ever learn to fettle with them)
Watching you sleep since 1990