Coronavirus

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:40 pm

The thing is not all masks are equal, some do barely make a difference but others can block a hell of a lot of stuff.

The idea is to prevent transfer of virus by salival droplets or by vapour in your breath (i.e the stuff you see in cold weather), point being is anyone could be a carrier and it's the easiest way to contract the virus outside directly exposing yourself to someone with it.
I do get concerns with exemption, it's a double edged blade too as those with an issue requiring an unrestricted air way are generally more suseptable to it, so it's not something to be taken lightly and needs really to be handled carefully.

You can get designs on masks now to lighten the mood, I've had sharp teeth on mine for a while and have a Camo back up, wouldn't mind a motoring or USSR themed one though.
Watching you sleep since 1990

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Mesh maskes are a thing for the dim
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... aba0ce7cae

I do struggle with wearing ones over my ears, but ive a modded cycling mask for such a thing, (posted a linked picture a page or so ago) ill be working on something that fits my face better at some point this week.
Will be a fun project and I kinda need a mould of that part of my face for the mask area of my Shredder helmet project

Making stuff is kinda keeping me sane, but im gonna run out of shelf space to put them on
English Invader wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:02 pm
I also have asthma. I take medication for it but I haven't had any major problems since childhood (apart from the odd chest infection). I haven't applied for an exemption from wearing a face mask because I get on ok with one and I would feel like I was abusing the system if I had an exemption (Prinny's mileage may vary, of course).
Dust and smoke feck me up really bad, did have a thing when the first lockdown started where breathing was a major issue, if I did anything other than focus on breathing I couldn't

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:25 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:10 pm
Dust and smoke feck me up really bad, did have a thing when the first lockdown started where breathing was a major issue, if I did anything other than focus on breathing I couldn't
Sounds like you should be exempt from wearing a face mask. Your asthma seems to be more severe than mine.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:58 pm

English Invader wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:25 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:10 pm
Sounds like you should be exempt from wearing a face mask. Your asthma seems to be more severe than mine.
As I said, it comes and goes, I can be fine for weeks, then all of a sudden not

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:34 pm

Well if you get the exemption it'll cover you on the bad days and on the ones it's alright you can always still wear the mask, that way less risk of an asthma attack.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:35 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:13 pm
You think masks do nothing to protect us? Why?
I don't trust the government's U-turn on them. At the beginning of the pandemic, the official position was that face masks were of no benefit to the general public and we went through the peak of infection (when 900 people were dying a day) under no obligation to wear a face mask. Then, when the infection and death rates drop dramatically and they re-open the high street, they make it compulsory to wear a face mask on public transport and then a few weeks later they make it compulsory for shops as well. How do you go from not needing a mask when 900 people are dying every day to needing a mask when the infection rate is as low as 23 out of 100,000?

I suspect ulterior motives in all 3 cases. In the first, it was to discourage demand in the face of limited supply. In the second and third, it was to deter people from using public transport and visiting shops more than necessary. I don't appreciate being lied to by my democratic representatives and, quite frankly, I'm more used to playing Lemmings than being one.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:27 am

English Invader wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:02 pm
And that's coming from someone who absolutely despises face masks and doesn't believe they do anything to protect us or other people and resents every penny he spends on them and every second he has to wear one.
:roll: :shock: :? :( :x :cry:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:57 am

Gotta love this thread ! Waiting for the wacky 911 conspiracies next

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:12 am

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:57 am
Gotta love this thread ! Waiting for the wacky 911 conspiracies next
Funny how they split up before that happened...............

THEY KNEW ALL ALONG!!

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:43 am

English Invader wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:35 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:13 pm
You think masks do nothing to protect us? Why?
I don't trust the government's U-turn on them. At the beginning of the pandemic, the official position was that face masks were of no benefit to the general public and we went through the peak of infection (when 900 people were dying a day) under no obligation to wear a face mask. Then, when the infection and death rates drop dramatically and they re-open the high street, they make it compulsory to wear a face mask on public transport and then a few weeks later they make it compulsory for shops as well. How do you go from not needing a mask when 900 people are dying every day to needing a mask when the infection rate is as low as 23 out of 100,000?

I suspect ulterior motives in all 3 cases. In the first, it was to discourage demand in the face of limited supply. In the second and third, it was to deter people from using public transport and visiting shops more than necessary. I don't appreciate being lied to by my democratic representatives and, quite frankly, I'm more used to playing Lemmings than being one.
Did you watch the video I linked? Even the most rubbish mask has some positive effect on how our breath/projectiles are released. The government were wrong not to insist on mask wearing during the first wave. Look at Korea/Japan etc. They wear masks when outside most of the time anyway. How is their pandemic shaping up?!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:43 am

English Invader wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:35 pm
I don't trust the government's U-turn on them...

Government in crisis makes a mess of things = masks don't work.

OR

Government in crisis manipulates things = masks don't work.

That isn't how science works.

Nothing that has happened indicates they are in any way capable of manipulating things in the way you suggest. The science points towards incompetence rather than conspiracy.

None of the events you point to have any evidence to suggest a face covering is wholly ineffective. Even if the government had the capacity to come up with such a scheme to control demand and limit travel, it wouldn't change the basic fact that limiting the projection of coughs, sneezes or other such expulsions from an individual will reduce the spread of disease.

But at least you do agree you're playing with conspiracy theories rather than facts.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:02 am

On masks,
As a kid how many peoples parents told them to cover there mouths when they sneeze?
Sure it will splatter out to the sides if its extra gobby, but it stops it from going forwards

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:19 am

I'll use a cotton Hankerchief that can be hotwashed or a disposable tissue where possible, I've had a cold like thing for a month so people naturally censored themselves when I cough or sneeze, Catch it and kill it has been around for years.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:05 pm

Another government slogan. They must have been prepping for this for years. First invest in tissue companies and profit there, but then they get greedy and move into masks too, only the profits aren't quite big enough, so up pops Coronavirus...

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:05 pm
Another government slogan. They must have been prepping for this for years. First invest in tissue companies and profit there, but then they get greedy and move into masks too, only the profits aren't quite big enough, so up pops Coronavirus...
Oh absolutely, Boris will receive the Kleenex mobile next week, it runs entirely by 5G radiowaves.