Coronavirus

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spector

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Spector » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:49 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:07 pm
The virus can be contained if all the scientifically effective procedures are followed through.
What a quote! If only you were in charge matt, then we could contain it.

Just imagine if the prime minister came out with that line at one of his conferences. "Scientifically effective procedures" is a classic nonsense phrase isn't it - the kind of thing a secondary school pupil would write to try and impress his Modern Studies teacher.
Last edited by Spector on Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:54 pm

learnedrobb wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:00 pm
Part of the problem is that everything from the Government was couched as "guidelines" and "advice". They purposefully avoided using words such as "mandatory", "Compulsory", and "legal requirement". This lead many to incorrectly assume that they didn't have to comply (and still don't).
We have people disputing science.

Stores saying that masks are compulsory, but are not refusing entry.
People wearing masks incorrectly (IE having it under the nose)
Morons just going with what ever and calling people that follow the guidelines "Cattle" and "Sheep" and quoting "Facts" that are not proven.
People that dont believe it exists should be made to sign a waiver denying all treatment when they do get ill,

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:28 pm

I don't think we'll get anywhere until we learn how to predict who will get life-threatening Covid and who won't. If we can figure out the genetic pattern that makes a 25 year old with no pre-existing conditions get full-blown pneumonia and die and a 65 year old with type 2 diabetes, asthma, obesity and heart problems only get mild or no symptoms, we can beat it.

A lot of fuss is made about testing Joe off the street for Covid but there should be a stronger emphasis on testing people with severe CV and autopsies of CV victims as these are the people who have the answers we need to get control of the situation. Once we know who the 28% is, we isolate them from the general population until we have the appropriate vaccine(s) for them. I think it will be a lot easier to create vaccines once we know who needs them and what they need them for. It will also put added political pressure on scientific think tanks to come up with something instead of milking governments for all the extra funding they can get.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:37 pm

A lot of smaller shops I have noticed aren't enforcing the Mask rule, bigger ones aren't even that brilliant at it given I walked into one and didn't clock I'd forgot to put it on until my mate had said, mind you they might've just assumed I was exempt.

Unfortunately we can't guarentee people will follow anything, drugs, murder and theft are illegal but people still do them, best we can do is follow things the best we can ourselves and ignore the Feckwits when they Chirp up as acknowledgment gives them power.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:56 pm

Spector wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:49 pm
Matt_B wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:07 pm
The virus can be contained if all the scientifically effective procedures are followed through.
What a quote! If only you were in charge matt, then we could contain it.

Just imagine if the prime minister came out with that line at one of his conferences. "Scientifically effective procedures" is a classic nonsense phrase isn't it - the kind of thing a secondary school pupil would write to try and impress his Modern Studies teacher.
I'd think it's pretty much unambiguous myself. Here are the dictionary definitions for what it's worth.

Scientifically - by means of scientific methods and principles
Effective - successful in providing a desired or intended result
Procedures - a series of actions conducted in a certain order or manner

Some obvious examples would be imposing travel bans, 14 day quarantines for international travelers, contact tracing of all known carriers, free universal testing, rapid lockdowns in areas where cases are rising, etc.

I'd agree that you won't hear any UK government officials saying that they've worked though, because they'd actually have to try them first.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:28 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:54 pm
People that dont believe it exists should be made to sign a waiver denying all treatment when they do get ill,
This "Believer-Non-Believer" dynamic is one of the most worrying things about the pandemic. It effectively turns the virus into a religion which the authorities are using for coercive control.

I believe that the CV exists but I also believe that it's not as bad as the authorities are making it out to be and that a lot of organisations are using the CV for political leverage. It's also a convenient way to finish off inconvenient things like the high street for property developers and the like. It's become all too easy for people to Corona things they already wanted to get rid of but didn't have an "out" for.

As I said before, get the answers we need to predict who is at risk from Covid and who isn't and isolate the former group until we have vaccines for them. That's the way to get through this without destroying everything else. The real disease in this pandemic is the unwillingness to criticise the people who are trusted to come up with a solution to the problem and my gut feeling is that they're not even trying.

And the longer this goes on, it's going to be less about the businesses that are trying to stay open and more about the new businesses that are economically dependent on CV. Once people's livelihoods are dependant on Covid, we'll never get rid of it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:58 am

... and that sounds like conspiracy theory of the worst kind :roll:
Last edited by Antiriad2097 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add rolleyes, since it really warrants it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:58 am
... and that sounds like conspiracy theory of the worst kind :roll:
No, just a few independent thoughts on what's happening (and not happening) right in front of us.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:25 am

English Invader wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:28 am
DPrinny wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:54 pm

And the longer this goes on, it's going to be less about the businesses that are trying to stay open and more about the new businesses that are economically dependent on CV. Once people's livelihoods are dependant on Covid, we'll never get rid of it.
And all those small companies no one as ever heard of getting massive pay-outs to "provide PPE"...............

Its also those that are now all anti vaccinations, "They cause this and that" some even going as far as to rubbish Bill Gates about them, they can feck off, he funds lots of charity stuff that actually helps

I might be one of those guys at risk, I might not.
I think ive had the flu once in my life, I still worked though it, a cold winter where I had to shift some arcade machines to a venue, then back again tow days later.
Only really bad things with me is my breathing, had asthma as a kid ive been bad the past few years, this dont help when im stuck in the flat, all this friggen dust keeps appearing.
I did have an air purifier till it started to smell of burning, just dipped into my savings to get another as I can see the parrot is molting............

Was out getting some crafting supplies today, cycling the 5 miles was hard, having to wear a mask in store was even harder.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 am

Only reason small companies no ones ever heard of have been working PPE is because most of the big ones don't make enough for demand, same goes for Ventilators, my Old Man works for a small firm and they got contracted during the initial lockdown to build parts .

As to Mask Prin you may be exempt, people with stuff or with a history of stuff that can be aggrivated like asthma etc can get an exemption and all you need to wear is a lanyard with a card when you go in a shop so staff know not to stop you for it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:02 am

Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 am
As to Mask Prin you may be exempt, people with stuff or with a history of stuff that can be aggrivated like asthma etc can get an exemption and all you need to wear is a lanyard with a card when you go in a shop so staff know not to stop you for it.
Its not really all the time, also being stuck in a store for longer than needed kinda triggers my "I need to get out of here" parts of my brain

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:51 pm

Working in retail, I'd love to be able.to refuse entry to customers who refuse to wear a mask because "you can't make me" (I've had many customers say that to me this past few months). But I'm not allowed to because my employer is concerned that I'll be assaulted (as are most other retailers)...
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:22 pm

learnedrobb wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:51 pm
Working in retail, I'd love to be able.to refuse entry to customers who refuse to wear a mask because "you can't make me" (I've had many customers say that to me this past few months). But I'm not allowed to because my employer is concerned that I'll be assaulted (as are most other retailers)...
Yeah I used to get that with people acting up, pretty much supposed to smile and wave if someone nicks something to as heaven forbid you tackle them and they sue the store.
I do feel for those in retail now as they pretty much suffer the brunt of peoples tantrums over lockdown and you have to work twice as hard just to keep up, a mate of mine was running the home shopping right through last lockdown and he got given 2 am starts and the second the store opens he'd get a ton of abuse just doing his job and picking orders.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:02 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:29 am
I also have asthma. I take medication for it but I haven't had any major problems since childhood (apart from the odd chest infection). I haven't applied for an exemption from wearing a face mask because I get on ok with one and I would feel like I was abusing the system if I had an exemption (Prinny's mileage may vary, of course).

And that's coming from someone who absolutely despises face masks and doesn't believe they do anything to protect us or other people and resents every penny he spends on them and every second he has to wear one.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:13 pm

You think masks do nothing to protect us? Why? Surely a barrier between you and another person will slow the particles being ejected from your mouth and nose?!

Watch the video on this page: https://www.nist.gov/blogs/taking-measu ... ad-disease