Coronavirus

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

greenberet79

Coronavirus

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:11 pm

What the actual censored is happening?

Is anyone stuck at home self isolated?

I'm working from home - we're taking it in turns, although I can see a point soon where the government starts forcing people to stay at home and off the streets unless it's an emergency. And the kids will be off school so not sure how that's going to work. Luckily I'm in a solid job, but lots of people are suffering already.

I'm usually level headed and unflappable but I must say this has me stressed. I'm pretty fit and healthy, and thankfully kids don't seem that affected (touch wood) but it's still a scary time.

I've never known anything like it. Everything is on hold. How are you all coping?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Antiriad2097

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:26 am

Working from home since Tuesday, I'm not even remotely concerned by it, and rather bored with the constant overreporting of it. It's as if nothing else is happening in the world.

Our company could be hit hard, I can see us back in the redundancy situation we just got out of a couple of years ago. Again, not too worried by that as Im one of the cheapest to keep.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:21 am

It is really weird. It all seems OTT, although maybe I'll be proven wrong on that. The biggest worry is in the wallet, and the insanity of the supermarket clean outs.

Of course, from a health POV I'm sure it is a genuine concern to the aged, or those with preexisting conditions that make them vulnerable.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:23 am

I had a nightmare two week flu last month. Rang 111 as the doctors advised, basically didnt have corona but it was the worst flu i've ever had. Could hardly move, thought it was just 'man flu' (cold) for a day or two but lasted two weeks. Got signed off etc

Its worrying from a business point of view, feel bad for pubs etc and other shops as it'll hit them hard. IF i get it i'm not worried as it seems to be people with underlying illnesses and the over 70's.

Schools closing is a pain but a sensible idea. I work from home anyway so its not too bad for me. The crazy people who bulk buy in supermarkets - just a joke. Went to Tescos to get one packet of eggs, none left !! Started using the local cornershop as they have everything, Tesco ran out of tons. But those people thinking its the end of the world and buying 2000 packets of toilet roll, pathetic.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:43 am

I have a Government job and can work from home easily enough but my wife works in a shop that is likely to close and my daughter for a sports production company that has no sport to film. Both will probably lose their jobs. My other daughter was doing her GCSE's but now the schools are shut and exams abandoned. I shouldn't visit my housebound elderly mother but how else is she going to get food to feed herself?

I live round the corner from a major supermarket and people were queuing this morning twice round the car park to get in from 3am for 6am opening hours. The shelves were emptied within an hour from what I have been told.

A very worrying time, it's likely to get a lot worse before it gets better.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 am

I work from home mostly and so this is not much of an adjustment for me, and my wife is on maternity leave. However, I have elderly parents I've been trying to get in to their stubborn heads that they need to stay at home (plus walks outside) to protect themselves and others - it's a struggle. This panic buying is ridiculous, these people are at some point going to realise they have too much food.

It's a case of keeping active, keeping positive. Also more of us are at home, play more games!

BTW, Ring Fit Adventure is excellent, I've had it since last year and can highly recommend it! By the time I'm finished I'm sweating my tits off, and it's a legit game! Still available in Argos, but seems sold out on ShopTo and Amazon.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 am

Not overly concerned about the virus itself as I don't have any underlying health conditions.

It's the shops shelves being rinsed daily by the panic-buyers that is doing my head in. Went down to the Tesco Extra earlier this morning and the bread had all sold out already. No tins or pasta or anything. Shops have been FAR too slow to react and impose limits on quantities. Tesco's limits in particular are STILL a waste of time...signs up saying FIVE multiples of an item are allowed?

I work in food/catering wholesale but we also supply retail and corner shops which I assume will be allowed to stay open so hopefully we will be able to continue as usual but who knows.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:19 am

People requiring large amounts of toilet roll

Its not Coronvirus they have its

CORNHOLIO VIRUS!!

Anyway
Work is canceled for a few weeks as it requires events coming in
My games night is on hold till I can get the go ahead
Wrestling is now done in an empty arena, seriously Wrestlemanina this year is going to be done in front of nobody, I feel bad for Edge and Drew, but not for the Goldberg vs Regins censored fest that would of been booed so much the world's supply of "oo"s would run out.
Sports are off (yeah no football)

All these "Rocks" passing near Earth might be alien probes checking us out, they take one look at what we are like and bugger back off again thinking we really are dim.

There's also a thing with it and Youtube, any video with it in the title gets demonetised, they are trying to block people from talking about it.
Did listen to Mega 64s recent podcast and it was quite interesting that one of the guys on it knows somebody with the virus, but they won't get tested as in the US they have a checklist and you only get checked if every box is ticked.
So the actual numbers of people in the US with it may be way higher than they are willing to tell us.

Its kinda hard to go more in depth about this without going into politics.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Not worried about the actual virus itself, the vulnerable should take precautions of course, and the rest of us should get on with our lives as much as possible. I'm much more concerned with the long term effects this may have politically, culturally and economically.

The supermarket shortages are a self fulfilling prophecy, when the panic buyers can't get hold of something they need they only have themselves to blame. The amount of panic and mindless sheep-like behavour over this is embarrassing for a country formally famed for it's stiff upper lip, a guy was wearing an actual gasmask in the shop the other day. :shock:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 am

I'm a full time supermarket worker so I'm lucky with the food thing as I can source what I need as I need it. Prob be working through any lockdown. Not worried as such about the virus itself but still washing my hands regular at work. Gutted for my four year old who loves nursery and prob wont see her friends for months.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:26 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 am
I'm a full time supermarket worker so I'm lucky with the food thing as I can source what I need as I need it. Prob be working through any lockdown. Not worried as such about the virus itself but still washing my hands regular at work. Gutted for my four year old who loves nursery and prob wont see her friends for months.
Fair play, must be a pain in the arse dealing with idiot panic buyers at the moment.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 am

RetroBob wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:26 am
Fair play, must be a pain in the arse dealing with idiot panic buyers at the moment.
Believe me, it is bad.

Constant arguing about who gets the toilet rolls and customers even getting aggressive in our place. Every time the phone rings, it's "have you got any toilet roll?" or "do you have any sanitiser?" or "what time is your delivery in?"

Been off on scheduled leave for the last few days but the week leading up to it was relentless. Everybody was pretty much beaten down and patience was wearing thin.

Luckily - like ulrich7ad - I have a good chance of getting what I need straight off the delivery before the customers utterly destroy it but even so, I'll only grab the bare minumum which I would have had to buy anyway. Some may say that it's an unfair advantage but by the time we've shut the doors on another day of madness, there will be nothing left in the supermarkets for us.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:47 am

I experienced the sheepish behaviour first hand.

One person with a trolly full of cans in the que
Steps away and grabs a few packs of bog roll
Another guy sees him do it does the same
Then another
I just take their place in the que and get served.......

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:02 pm

For what it's worth, Australia started ahead of you with the panic buying. I dare say that it's sensible to keep a couple of week's worth of long shelflife groceries in the house just in case of civil emergencies. We've had drought, bushfires, floods and damaging storms in the past year alone, so that's already become the norm. Still, the people getting car loads of food and toiletries must have been watching too much Doomsday Preppers.

I guess it'll sort itself out in the end. Countries like South Korea and Japan are already seeing a decline in new cases, and now that the rest of the world is finally adopting similar measures we're hopefully just a few nervous weeks away from seeing a similar downward trend.

In the meantime I guess we've all got to be conformists and do what the government is telling us to do, at least so long as it remains in step with how the medical professionals are advising them to act.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:17 pm

When stuff goes tits up bog rolls won't be my main concern.
Same with fresh milk

Most of these people won't last a week if they had to survive.

To bad the virus can't kill such idiocy