When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Andy Dale

Post by Andy Dale » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:46 am

Why is it that the avatar’s filesize must be between 0 and 6 KiB?

Sokurah

Re: Avatar sizes

Post by Sokurah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:04 am

It's practical. No one needs huge animated GIFs and thousands of big files take up room on the server and slows things down. Simple ... I can't believe you have to ask.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

Andy Dale

Post by Andy Dale » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 am

Sokurah wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:04 am
It's practical. No one needs huge animated GIFs and thousands of big files take up room on the server and slows things down. Simple ... I can't believe you have to ask.
I''m asking because I cant find a picture that small.

Why do you assume I want to use a huge GIF? It's like you think the only options are either a microscopic avatar or some gigantic animated avatar.

Other forums don't insist on tiny pictures. That should tell you that my question is not that ridiculous at all.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:02 am

The forum has been around for over a decade. Sensible limits were different then, storage costs were high, bandwidth was low. It could be a higher limit now, but 6k is still a fairly decent amount for an image that small.

If you genuinely can't find something, download or create something bigger and resize it with IrfanView. It's a max of 80 x 80 pixels in height and width and the images I just happen to have handy right now that are more than double that size are averaging around 3-4k, so you shouldn't be finding that too difficult.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.