XB 360 controller - Repair or replace?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Sega2006

XB 360 controller - Repair or replace?

Post by Sega2006 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:40 pm

Popped in Off Topic as most wouldn't say its Retro quite yet.

I've been using my 360 the last few days during my model building as a few games aren't usable still from my collection on the One and I found out while Dectective Cole Phelps ran off in random directions that my Left stick is most likely not long for this world, to give it its dues it has worn smoother than the head of your average baldy and been knocked off countless times while rummaging around the desk.

I've googled repair, and it appears you'll need to change and solder the socket rather than just replace the plastic parts which are more likley the culprit, something that I'd normally do but meds could make quite tricky.
Other alternative is replacement, anything official is NOS and can be alittle pricey, there is cheaper clones but question is will they match performance?
Used is probably not a good choice as it could be suffering from the same ailment.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Big Shoes

Re: XB 360 controller - Repair or replace?

Post by Big Shoes » Fri May 03, 2019 3:21 pm

I would just get another controller if yours is that well used, plenty for sale on the locals on Facebook or eBay, and i would only get an official one

pratty

Re: XB 360 controller - Repair or replace?

Post by pratty » Sat May 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Sega2006 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:40 pm
Popped in Off Topic as most wouldn't say its Retro quite yet.

I've been using my 360 the last few days during my model building as a few games aren't usable still from my collection on the One and I found out while Dectective Cole Phelps ran off in random directions that my Left stick is most likely not long for this world, to give it its dues it has worn smoother than the head of your average baldy and been knocked off countless times while rummaging around the desk.

I've googled repair, and it appears you'll need to change and solder the socket rather than just replace the plastic parts which are more likley the culprit, something that I'd normally do but meds could make quite tricky.
Other alternative is replacement, anything official is NOS and can be alittle pricey, there is cheaper clones but question is will they match performance?
Used is probably not a good choice as it could be suffering from the same ailment.
If you're going to replace it then may as well open it up and have a look since you've nothing to lose. It may just require a clean. Take of the rubber-grip part if it's in the way and examine the analog mechanism itself.

Funnily enough I was recently playing LA Noire myself on the Switch with my still fairly new Hori Gamecube controller, and noticed some brief sticking in a specific direction change. I fixed it by painting the metal grooves holding the stick with WD40.

The rubber thumb-grip part of the stick is probably easily replaceable, so I wouldn't get a new controller based on that.

If you can't fix it you should still keep it for spare parts. For example the working analog stick could be a useful spare should anything goes wrong with your replacement controller's sticks in future. I've made a fully working Gamecube controller from two busted ones a couple of times.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823