Atari : A Visual History Book is now LIVE on Kickstarter

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Greyfox

Atari : A Visual History Book is now LIVE on Kickstarter

Post by Greyfox » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:23 am

Hello everyone,

hope you are all enjoying your Easter weekend and are possible cramping as many easter eggs down your neck as possible :).

I just wanted to let you all know that my very first Kickstarter campaign has been launched and would be truly appreciative if you would check it out and hopefully support the project. A lot of blood, sweat and tears have been put into this publication and a great deal of care for the grammar of the book by a professional technical proofreader as this was a great concern for me that this is paramount to its production values of the reader, so all has been catered for here.
So with that, a little about the book?

Welcome to our very first Kickstarter campaign to create the first unofficially-licensed coffee table book on the Atari® 8bit Home Computer. The book pays a huge tribute to this incredible home computer, its product design and its amazing catalogue of third-party software associated with this iconic 8-bit system. The book is an unofficial publication created by myself Darren Doyle and is my first publishing outing under the Greyfox Books™ label, the book is the very first book of this kind to be released for the Atari 8-bit home computer enthusiast in a visual compendium, ever!

I have spent many months on its development and acquired some incredible content along the way. The amazing amount of support and contributions I have received from private collectors and review contributors has been fantastic, making the Atari: A Visual History book a reality. I am a self-employed Graphic Designer based in Dublin, Ireland.
Features of the book include:

 162 third-party Atari 8-bit games covered
 Premastered box art only found in this book
 Exclusive and new interviews
 Atari 800 – Atari 800xl and Atari 130xe systems profiled
 A visual compendium presentational coffee book
 Full hardback publication.
And much more…

With the Atari: A Visual History book, the visuals are the main focus, with roughly 210-220 word sound bites of text accompanying each game spread. The review of each game has especially been given a lot of research and thought during the writing process from myself and all contributors involved. Within the book, you'll also find a series of larger features and interviews with developers and software house profiles and much more ensuring a great mix of visuals and words. Overall, the book will contain around 50,000 words and hundreds of iconic images; each one is given its own unique flair in presentation and professional preservation which will make it the perfect coffee-table Atari book.

The premise of the book is to cover a huge majority of classic third-party Atari 8-bit software from such amazing software houses as Datasoft™, Broderbund™, First Star Software™ and the likes. A selection of commercial and non-commercial home-brew games will also be covered in the book, giving these games the exposure in a visual compendium never seen in a format of this type before. The Book will also deliver a selection of interviews with game designers who worked on the Atari 8-bit. Also, the three, and most popular of the Atari 8-bit computer range will receive their very own profile coverage, these are the Atari 800, Atari 800XL and the Atari 130XE home computers, with additional photography of these computers exclusively photographed by Roberto Rogel throughout the book, as well as a choice selection of Atari related peripherals. The Book will measure 170mm x 230mm (6” x 9”) standard book size and will only be available in Hardback for maximum durability and with a whopping 420 pages of content. It will be some tome of a book.

So please visit here : http://kck.st/2VWXiNo if this is something you guys would love to support.

Thanks, Everyone for the ongoing support and just to mention, if this book is successful then I can announce now that the Coin-Op: Arcade Guide book will follow later on in the year.

Kind regards

Darren
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

Crusty Starfish

Re: Atari : A Visual History Book is now LIVE on Kickstarter

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:56 pm

Nice to see this go to Kickstarter! Well done Mr Atari man, you are simply the best man for researching and completing this book :)

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:53 am

Thank you so much fella, really appreciate the embrace the project has been receiving, we are now even getting some of the best Atari 8-bit developers commenting on our twitter page. One such awesome comment from none other than the classic "Bruce Lee" creator Ron Fortier and went on to say.

we were incredibly humbled to see this first thing this morning :)
ImageImage

WilsonDun

Post by WilsonDun » Thu May 02, 2019 6:37 am

I hope this gets funded. I really want this book. Might be a great way to make my kid a bit more interested in Atari with all the nice graphics in there.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu May 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks very much, we are on to a great start with the crowdfunding phase and amazed by the support the book has received, so if you haven't backed the book yet, please consider doing so, the book is a very special tribute to this incredible underappreciated fantastic 8-bit computer.

Thanks for you kind words
Darren. 👍
ImageImage

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a wonderful weekend..just wanted to pop by and mention that the -=Atari: a Visual History=- book I funded back in May of this year is now available on the Greyfox Books website : www.greyfoxbooks.com for €29.99 and comes as a full colour hardback only 420 pages book covering over 150 vintage third party Atari 8-bit games as well as interviews and software house profiles as well as other amazing content. This post is for those that missed the Kickstarter and stock is of a very small amount of books I have to sell if the book. It is getting great praise at the moment and has been delivered all over the world.

So please head over to the website and check out the book and see what you all think?

Have a good one.
Darren.
ImageImage

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:41 pm

I'll back Greyfox up on this. It looks fantastic! Most retro books I've bought so far have been reasonably chunky, but this is super chunky - it feels like you've actually bought something heavy enough to knock a door to door salesman out with!

Content wise, although not the biggest Atari fan, is packed to the rim with some great games.

Trust me, it is a really good way to spend £30

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:17 am

Looks great, afraid the Atari isnt on my list of machines i follow. BUT cant wait for Greyfox's second book, the arcade one. Cant believe Bitmap or Boyo havent done an arcade one yet. Cant wait

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:21 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:17 am
Looks great, afraid the Atari isnt on my list of machines i follow. BUT cant wait for Greyfox's second book, the arcade one. Cant believe Bitmap or Boyo havent done an arcade one yet. Cant wait

I second that. I remember seeing the arcade book years ago and wanting a piece of that.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:26 pm

All in due course lads..:) Making it so good you won't another book..lol
ImageImage