Virgin Media Came to Town

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rocky1980

Virgin Media Came to Town

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 pm

So Virgin media have been putting down cable all over my area and it has just been switched on. So I can now buy there really fast internet, TV, etc. I have heard some really mixed things about them in the past. Anyone here use them ?
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

The Laird

Re: Virgin Media Came to Town

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm

I've used them for over 10 years now and would never change. You get the odd problem but they usually sort it pretty quickly. For me it comes down to speed most of all and nobody can touch Virgin on that. Even on the most basic package here I can have 120mb, that's over twice as fast as what BT offer!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:31 pm

I am using them now too - moved away from BT last year. The odd problem but I'd say BT had more outages, and Virgin is way faster for me as it uses cable rather than phone lines.

I ONLY use them for internet, phone is a waste of time and we only use streaming services, have no cause to watch live TV.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 am

I'd suggest looking up the speeds that people are getting in your area, as they may vary considerably from the advertised ones or what people get elsewhere:

www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk

In terms of who offers the fastest internet overall, you might be surprised to find out that it's actually BT. Ultrafast Fibre 2 tops out at 314 Mbps, where the most Virgin can offer is 200. That said, you can't necessarily get the top package everywhere, and you've also got to bear in mind the effects of throttling and congestion.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:19 pm

I am with BT fiber right now we have had nothing but issues. My line should do 60 down however it does not go any faster than 23 it never has. We have had multiple engineer visits and they cant find anything wrong. I am suck in an 18 month deal with them also :(
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image