Nintendo shut down Emuparadise.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

FatTrucker

Nintendo shut down Emuparadise.

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Saw this reported on Sky News. Turns out its true, it appears Nintendo are going after all portals offering any of its IP for download.

https://m.emuparadise.me/emuparadise-changing.php
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Matt_B

Re: Nintendo shut down Emuparadise.

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that they're doing this.

Still, it's their IP and their legal right and if they want to create a load of bad will among their most devoted fans and blow a load of money on legal fees, so be it. It's not as if there won't continue to be sites hosting the files in far flung jurisdictions.

Mind you, when practically every discussion involving Nintendo's NES and SNES Classic consoles will involve someone interjecting with the idea that they're a waste of money because you could just download the ROM files and stick them on a Raspberry Pi, it'd seem hard to deny that their free availability is having some commercial impact.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:20 am

Tbh, this used to be a routine thing for them, they were always the ones to hunt down and issue cease and desists in the past. It's only in recent years they stopped doing it.

As long as they're offering a legit way to play the games, it's fair enough.

I do wish they had some sort of ROM service of their own though, so you could obtain them legally and use them on whichever device you see fit.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:58 am

They are about to launch a their online service which will include access to old games that have been re purposed for online multiplayer etc.

It's a shame to lose access to the games that will not get an official re-release due to licensing being all over the place; there was a discussion on the Giant Bestcast about this last week though no one tied it to the upcoming online service.
XBL: RetroBob
Wii U: RetroBob
PSN: RetroBobUK
3DS: 0232 8156 8633
Feel free to add me!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:33 am

I buy up as many official games as i can on my platform i play on (PC/iOS)

Still use rom sites but not as often as i used to. Granted Emuparadise has shut down but theres so many others (and others will pop up) then you have the whole disks of roms on ebay etc. Just never ending. Same for sites with films, just move from one to the next

If it wasnt for the likes of you and me playing these old classics via emulation companies like Nintendo wouldnt make more money as previously these old classics were just gathering dust once they stopped selling back in the day. Emulation has helped a ton of companies (Look at Retro Gamer) thanks to people getting back into old games. Then many of us via emulation have gone back and bought up the re-packaged games from companies etc etc

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:52 am

LoveRoms, Rom Hustler and several other sites have also followed EmuParadise and removed all their roms.

Nintendo is seeking serious money as relief for alleged damages, with the biggest number coming from "$150,000 for the infringement of each Nintendo copyrighted work and up to $2,000,000 for the Trademark infringement”

Emuparadise was the only clean romsite, a lot of these other sites and torrents where full of viruses. Also Emuparadise was the only site to my knowledge that had complete rim sets fully working with all betas, English translations etc.

Luckily I have the Rom sets on my Everdrives but still own hundreds of these games on original
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:52 am
Emuparadise was the only clean romsite, a lot of these other sites and torrents where full of viruses. Also Emuparadise was the only site to my knowledge that had complete rim sets fully working with all betas, English translations etc.
Err, that's bollocks. There are other nice clean sites out there, with all the variants, but I won't name them as I don't want them publicised (and thus pulled).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Yes other clean sites exist

Even ones with annoying adds can be dealt with via addbock or uorign
FatTrucker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 pm
Saw this reported on Sky News. Turns out its true, it appears Nintendo are going after all portals offering any of its IP for download.

https://m.emuparadise.me/emuparadise-changing.php
Ive said this on that other site

Nintendo didnt shut it down, they did it them selfs
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Yeah but Nintendo did kinda force them to do that before there was any legal battles going on. They had letters about the site and how they may take legal action against Emuparadise so they did what anyone else would do and shut it down themselves before getting into huge legal trouble

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Worst part is that I don't care about Nintendo roms but if the other, non-Nintendo stuff tanks with it then that sucks!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:21 am

All Nintendo would have to do is say release Super Mario Land (Gameboy version) on iOS as a standalone paid app and they would make millions. I know its their IP and they want people to buy their products etc etc but for old classics like this they should release them.

Mario on iOS made a ton, wasnt the best game (auto runner) but made a lot of money for them. Sega are doing well with their games on iOS, they're free to play (with ad's) or a single cost to get rid of the ad's.

I've got Mario land on my Gameboy emulator on my phone but would snap up an official version instantly

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 pm

Super Mario Run didn't really do that well for them. Sure, there were hundreds of millions of downloads in a short space of time, but relatively few of those bought the game because it was priced rather high for mobiles. Without ongoing monetization the income dried up fairly quickly too. They've done a lot better with Fire Emblem Heroes and Pokemon Go, both of which can be quite good fun if you stick to certain play modes, but have blatant pay-to-win mechanics in others.

The lessons seem pretty clear though. There's little money to be had from selling games as one-off purchases on mobile phones, especially compared to what they can go for on the 3DS Virtual Console, and the free-to-play but pay-to-win model is where the money is at.

Sega can, of course, do what Nintendo't and port their back catalogue to every platform under the sun, but that's only really because they've not got any current to undermine and any scraps of income are a plus for them. Well, there's AtGames I suppose but unless they were prepared to pay Sega extra for exclusivity, they'd have to lump it.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:54 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 pm
Super Mario Run didn't really do that well for them. Sure, there were hundreds of millions of downloads in a short space of time, but relatively few of those bought the game because it was priced rather high for mobiles. Without ongoing monetization the income dried up fairly quickly too. They've done a lot better with Fire Emblem Heroes and Pokemon Go, both of which can be quite good fun if you stick to certain play modes, but have blatant pay-to-win mechanics in others.

The lessons seem pretty clear though. There's little money to be had from selling games as one-off purchases on mobile phones, especially compared to what they can go for on the 3DS Virtual Console, and the free-to-play but pay-to-win model is where the money is at.

Sega can, of course, do what Nintendo't and port their back catalogue to every platform under the sun, but that's only really because they've not got any current to undermine and any scraps of income are a plus for them. Well, there's AtGames I suppose but unless they were prepared to pay Sega extra for exclusivity, they'd have to lump it.
I don’t know $60 million is not to be sniffed at considering it won’t have cost that much to make.

Lessons will have been learnt when it comes to the next big releases.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 am

silvergunner wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:54 pm
I don’t know $60 million is not to be sniffed at considering it won’t have cost that much to make.

Lessons will have been learnt when it comes to the next big releases.
Sure, it's not to be sniffed at, but also consider that they've made $400 million out of Fire Emblem Heroes and a chunk of the $1 billion from Pokemon Go, which are still making a lot of money and probably cost no more to make. The lesson they'll have learned is that designing mobile games around ways to monetize the way they play is where the big profits lie. If Super Mario Run 2 ever happens, I'm pretty sure it'll also be free to play but with the sting in the tail that at least one play mode will have a hideous pay-to-win grind.

Also, it's clear by now that the reach of these games - in terms of paying customers at least - is little more than they'd get on their own platforms. $60 million in sales equates to 6 million purchases at $10 a pop; maybe a bit more than that considering regional variations in price and vendor cuts, and although it's hard to judge with free-to-play games the numbers who've spent money on Pokemon Go and FEH probably aren't dissimilar. Against that, they've managed to sell over 10 million units of Super Mario Odyssey at $60 a copy, let alone the money it made in terms of driving Switch hardware sales. As such, the suggestion that paid games for mobile platforms is some vast untapped market for them starts to ring rather hollow.

I'd think that they could do rather more in terms of what they offer with emulated games on the Switch and the 3DS though. With Sony and Microsoft both offering subscription services that'll give you access to literally hundreds of classic games, the onus is on them to do something similar and I'd hope that the ten NES games that are coming with the Switch's online service are a start in that direction. They're going to have to expand that selection rather quickly if they're going to get my money though.

HdE

Post by HdE » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 am

I'm finding this whole situation kind of interesting.

Got to say, up front, that I'll never stand up in advocacy of software piracy. But I do think the discussion surrounding Nintendo's aggressive actions against ROM sites throws a light on a lot of other stuff besides.

The backlash against them from consumers is going to be all too real, I think. I appreciate that words don't always translate into deeds, but it's INSANE how many folks on social media are pledging to boycott Nintendo products in the wake of all this.

It's sad to see so many folkss online quick to dismiss preservation as an excuse for piracy. I don't believe it's that simple at all. Some of those sites, whether by design or not, were serving as an archive for games that wil almost certainly never see an official release again. And when such things are wiped out of existence, it's a blow to video games as an art form.