Need your advice on iOS emulation

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ATLKID

Need your advice on iOS emulation

Post by ATLKID » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi there!
I recently discovered gaming emulators on iOS. And such an amazing thing, but I got stuck with getting the actual apps. Are there any working ways you use? Like best practices, you know, cuz all found via google is kinda shady
Thanks

Antiriad2097

Re: Need your advice on iOS emulation

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:18 am

The first question would be, what system(s) do you want to emulate, since this can change how you approach it. For example, if you install Spectaculator (a ZX Spectrum emulator), then it has games that come with it, and more can be added via the app itself. Other emulators may require some tinkering to add games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am

I 'think' it might have been ios8 which shut down access to the file system. Before that there were some hidden emulators on the app store (Quickly were shut down) but one example was Gridlee (MAME). I managed to get that before Apple shut it down and you could use iExplorer or other iOS file apps to put roms on it which worked a dream. Once ios8 came out it shut down access like that which was a shame

Thankfully builds.io for about 10/15 dollars a year allows you to add emulators to your device. Works a treat, been with them a few years now. Got MAME back, Gameboy and many others. Provenance allows you to play NES/SNES/Atari 2600 and PC Engine and they've got other emulators which are quite fun to try. Occassionally the emulators go down for a day (perhaps once every 6 months) but they get it working again.

ATLKID

Post by ATLKID » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks for your replies!
And about builds.io - are there any cons of using it? Like challenges or something like that. Do any free options exist? I mean, why do they take money for that?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 am

I've seen other sites but i've often had problems with those so i went to builds.io and its been superb. Again have a google as there are free ones but often have adverts or for me just kept crashing. builds.io is very cheap (cost of two decent apps). Apparently you dont need a dev license to build/compiles apps so you can take the 'code' for say Gridlee or MAME and compile it and put it on your own device. But i dont have a Mac and all the other software to download so its too much hassle for me personally.

I think builds.io must somehow use a developer license to distribute their apps or something. The cost is per device so you wont be able to use the same logon details for say your ipad if you've given them the ID to install them from your iphone.