Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm every Sunday

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm every Sunday

Post by Spector » Sun May 10, 2020 10:39 am

We will be back on tonight talking about the coronavirus no doubt, as you do on a retrogaming chat, after Boris Johnson's 6pm address to the nation. He will relax the rules, so we can celebrate that tonight from 9pm on Discord. Follow the link in my signature. And remember the new guidelines:
STAY AT HOME IF THERE'S SOMETHING GOOD ON TV
PROTECT THE NHS IF YOU REALLY WANT TO
SAVE LIVES IF YOU CAN BE BOTHERED
:) :) :)
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 pm

"Every day is like Sunday..."
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat May 23, 2020 6:01 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 pm
"Every day is like Sunday..."
Every day is silent and grey....

His best ever song!

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat May 23, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi guys! Would have posted an update earlier but I was busy creating my Dominic Cummings fanpage. I just don't understand why people are criticising this great man. So what if he visited relatives 250 miles away while he had symptoms of coronavirus? It was really important, and I'm sure he washed his hands before he got out the car. Yes, it might seem hypocritical to the public who were unable to go to funerals and he does come across as unbelievably arrogant in his responses to the press, but Mr Cummings has a lot of money. And people who are rich are more important than people who are poor. That's why they can break the rules. It's money that matters!!

As a tribute to Sir Dominic, I have decided to use him as inspiration for this weekend's Hot Topic:

What is the biggest mistake ever committed by a programmer in a classic retro game?

I would nominate the controls in 3D Ant Attack. Instead of Up Down Left Right Fire it has an incredibly complicated amount of directional controls affected by what way you are facing. It's still a great game, but much harder to get into as a result. Thankfully, a hack has been made with much simpler controls, so you can play it as it should have been first time around :)

But what would you choose? Please come on at Sunday 9pm and you can let us all know. The link to get on is in my signature. I beg you to make an appearance and show your love for Dom!!!!! :)

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:31 am

I mean, he's probably less of a risk than the people on the beaches near me over the past few weeks or so. Living in a seaside town really does show the idiot in people.
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:57 am

Last week was fun. In fact, we had not just one but TWO markopolomans! One mysteriously appeared and refused to speak, lurking in the background, then another appeared that was the real one. How strange. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear someone had logged on under a false username!

The mystery deepens as to whom it could be. Is it Darran looking for any anti-Amstrad rhetoric??? Was it Prinny having a particularly bad spelling accident when typing his name? Was it The Laird deciding to use a fake account to spy on people who had slagged him? The question may never be answered, but we will be back on tonight at 9pm using the discord platform to see if the mystery deepens, and the link is in my signature. See you then! :)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:18 am

Wasn’t Top Tw@t Gamer Laird as well? Twitter user Top Tw@t Gamer was allegedly him or Dave. It’s like Killer 7 All these different personalities.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 pm

Did Laird fall out with Top Hat Gaming Man then? I've seen that guys youtube videos - seems alright.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:53 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:24 pm
Did Laird fall out with Top Hat Gaming Man then? I've seen that guys youtube videos - seems alright.
You mean TopTw*tGaming surely? They are the same person, I thought. Or maybe it's a sock account under the guise of another, more well known personality. It gets so confusing!

But anyway, the Retro Gaming Chat on Discord is back on at 9pm this sunday where we talk about 8 and 16 bit gaming in particular. I got a C64 this week, finally replacing the broken one from years ago. It's essential for anyone into 80s gaming, but I was taken aback by one of the tapes given to me by the seller - Xevious. It's awful! The Spectrum version is average, but it's still much better than the C64 one. And this is something I came across more than a few times. Even though the C64 should be able to make a good version of a game with its hardware, it doesn't. I honestly don't understand it. Which leads to the weekend topic:

Was the C64's games library really better than the Spectrum's?

You can debate that this Sunday from 9pm on the Retro Gaming discord channel using the link in my signature. I don't think there is a straight yes or no answer to that question personally, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Or you can come on and talk about anything else. I hope to see you there Sunday 9pm. Until then, remember to be sensible and stay safe: don't play the Amstrad!! :mrgreen:

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Okay folks, just to confirm the Discord chat is still going and happens at the usual time this Sunday at 9pm. This weekend we are going to talk about really really bad computers and consoles just for a change. And with that in mind there's no better place to start than arguably the worst one of all: The Amstrad CPC464!! People actually paid around £400 for this machine with the green screen monitor. Can you believe that? A cheap, crap Alan Sugar directed computer made "to look like the kind of computer you see at an airport" :roll: and produced graphics that were hyper colourful and hyper blocky. Since most families could only afford the green screen model, that meant you only got hyper blocky!

The games tended to be bad port overs of Spectrum hits and so were redundant. In the end, only two games worth playing were ever released for the machine: Bomb Jack and Head Over Heels! Sadly, our hero on Retro gamer, Darran Jones, was forced to play one as a child, and the trauma affected him so much he went into denial and hated the machine the 464 ported from - the Spectrum- for the rest of his life. That's why Amstrad is first on the list of machines on Retro Gamer's front cover :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: and Sinclair was pushed to fifth. I beg you Darran, please phone the special Amstrad Samaritans Hotline on 07706 464 6128 and press option 5 for "Sugar Shock" counselling. You can make it Darran. I know you can!!!!! :mrgreen:

The Discord chatroom opens Sunday from 9pm and if you want, we can talk blocky graphics all night long!!!! See you there :wink:

Djones73

Post by Djones73 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:40 am

Thanks again Spector. That was a fun evening. Cheers. 👍

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:15 am

Djones73 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:40 am
Thanks again Spector. That was a fun evening. Cheers. 👍
Yes it was good fun all round, thanks for turning up👌

And the same thing is on again this Sunday from 9pm at the usual place. The link is in my signature so if you're that way inclined, head over tonight and meet the usual weirdos :mrgreen:

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:08 pm

The retro chatroom is on again this Sunday from 9pm, using the link on my signature in this post. We can also talk about current affairs in the chat, including my immense sadness at the illness of Donald Trump, the greatest President since Reagan. I know he can make it, because he is somebody who has dodged every obstacle that has been put in his place. It is the measure of his greatness. Just look how he dodged paying tax. And I pray for him regularly because he is a god fearing man. Yes, maybe he was an atheist nearly all his life and only "found" his faith around the same time he decided to run for President because he knew it would improve his chances with the religious right, but he's sincere about it nonetheless, I know he is!

Anyway, whatever you want to talk about, you can come on Sunday 9pm and the usual nutters will be there. We cannot allow spamming, advertising of your own products, or discussion about Amstrad. I'm sure you understand. Hope to see you there! ;)

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:48 am

Hi there, subscribers to 4Chan!! :) Just a quick note to say the Retro Chat is on again tonight from 9pm on Discord giving you the opportunity to talk to other retrogaming fans about anything you want. You can talk about really weird things such as the belief held by some Americans that Donald Trump is waging a secret campaign against an underground paedophile ring headed by Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton. You can go for even weirder stuff than that if you like, such as the belief held by some British people that Amstrad was a really good electronics company who brought out the best 8 bit computer of all time with the CPC464. Now that really is crazy.

Anyway, 9pm tonight is the time for you guys to go nuts. Follow the link in my signature and you can come on and maybe meet myself, katzkatz, alarm, Jezza (AKA Sephiroth81) and who knows what else. Hope you can make it! Stand back and stand by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:04 am

Well, that went a bit wild last night, but I blame Djones73. He was the ringleader😅😅😅 It was fun again though and we will have to try that again next week🙂