Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm every Sunday

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm every Sunday

Post by Spector » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 am

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:30 am
It finally happened, we were all sat at the computer at the same time and was in the same place in cyber-space! I found out, chatting requires quick-thinking and the ability to talk freely, calling up different stuff to talk about, to make a good conversation - my mind has trouble doing this.

Anyway, it was a marvellous moment and nice to meet you Katz, Godzilla and Godzooki in person . Sorry about the sudden exit, living up to my name with stealthily disappearing. Hope to catch you all next week
It was wonderful to have your company on Sunday night to add flavour to the proceedings, and yes, your name didn't appear on the list on the right of the screen so I wondered how you were able to post! The good news is that the banned legend Markopoloman is going to try and come on next week so he can debate with Laird, and no-one surely can miss that!! We have a new punchline - "Retro Gaming Chat on Discord:Land Of The Banned!!!!" :mrgreen:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:48 am

It is Christmas week and the retro chat is running this Sunday. The link to the discord chatroom is in my signature. I hope to see you from Sunday 9pm :wink:

And now here is an updated tale for the festive season:

__________________________________A CHRISTMAS CAROL_______________________________________

'Twas Christmas Eve in the year of 1985, and the manager of the main London Dixons branch was miserly old Ebenezer Sugar. He made himself rich by selling dreadful electronics to unsuspecting customers and wouldn't give refunds. Poor Mr Cratchit had come to buy a Commodore 64 for his son Tim, but Ebenezer told him the Amstrad CPC464 model was a much better deal. On the basis of what Sugar told him, he bought the Amstrad instead. And then Sugar's nephew Fred wanted a Spectrum, but again, Ebenezer told him how the Amstrad had far superior software, and he too was fooled into buying one. Oh, how Ebenezer smiled.

But that Christmas Eve night, lying in bed, he heard a wailing behind the door. He turned round and saw a spirit in chains pass through. Ebenezer screamed and shouted "Who are you and what do you want??!?" The spirit replied, "I am the ghost of Christmas Sh*te. Touch my robe and I will show you visions of the despair to come." So he touched his robe, and then he saw a poor little boy crying in his room, seemingly inconsolable. Sugar asked the spirit, "Why does he lament?" The spirit replied, "He weeps because has been given an Amstrad on your advice, and is now destined to suffer the ugly multicoloured buttons on the tacky keyboard, a cr*p green screen monitor with blocky graphics that can't be replaced with a regular television, and unbelievably sh*t Roland games clearly made by people who don't know how to program." Ebenezer felt a sense of guilt for the first time.

Then the spirit showed him Fred's house. It was another vision of Christmas Day: the living room had the Amstrad set up with Roland In Time loaded up, but no-one was playing it. Sadly, Fred was dangling from the ceiling having hanged himself after playing the Roland games he got with the machine. Ebenezer screamed. "Noooooo!!!!!" He collapsed to the ground in front of the spirit and shouted "I will change!! Please believe me! I'm not the man I was! Great god almighty, I'm not the man I was!! Give me another chance!!"

Suddenly, Ebenezer Sugar woke up in his bed. It was Christmas Morning. "The spirits have given me another chance!!" He quickly drove to the Dixons warehouse and loaded a spare Commodore 64 and Spectrum into the boot of his car. He went to Cratchit's house and apologised, giving Tim the C64 with free joystick. How his eyes lit up at the sight of that! Then he visited Fred. "Can you forgive a stupid old man such as I? Take this Spectrum, and here's some free Ultimate games and Bomb Jack to go with it!" Fred shouted, "Hurrah for Uncle Sugar!" and everyone cheered as Sugar joined the party, making merry for the rest of the day. He even won the high score contest on Bomb Jack.

Ebenezer Sugar was more than true to his word, recommending all customers not to buy any Amstrad products. Sinclair and Commodore ruled, Amstrad went bust, and gamers were happy ever after. GOD BLESS US EVERYONE!! :D

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:19 am

Just a quick note to say that the Retro Gaming chat is back on after the christmas break, so if you want to join in, it's from 9pm tonight, and the link is in the signature of this post. I hope to see some of you there ;)

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:52 am

Yes, the Retro Gaming Chatroom hosted on Discord is on this weekend, Sunday 9pm to be precise, so I hope some people who are brave enough can join the entertainment when it begins, and it won't just be about slagging off the Amstrad either. We will talk about non-Sugar related items if you like. Special guest star (and ex Retro Gamer writer) The Laird may well be there tonight, so why not pop in and say hello to him and even ask him about his books if you like! I know Markopoloman loves to do that!! :D

Anyway, it's from 9pm this evening on the discord channel, and the link to get on is in my signature. Just click and follow the instructions. Hope to see you there! ;)

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:44 am

Spector wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:52 am
Yes, the Retro Gaming Chatroom hosted on Discord is on this weekend, Sunday 9pm to be precise, so I hope some people who are brave enough can join the entertainment when it begins, and it won't just be about slagging off the Amstrad either. We will talk about non-Sugar related items if you like. Special guest star (and ex Retro Gamer writer) The Laird may well be there tonight, so why not pop in and say hello to him and even ask him about his books if you like! I know Markopoloman loves to do that!! :D

Anyway, it's from 9pm this evening on the discord channel, and the link to get on is in my signature. Just click and follow the instructions. Hope to see you there! ;)
A topic for you to discuss: ZX Spectrum sales numbers. The total is 5 millions I believe. 15% of those were the Amstrad made Spectrum +3, roughly 750 000 machines. I can only assume more Spectrum +2 were made. How many Spectrums did Sinclair make? How about russian clones, Timex and maybe other producers? How much larger is the total? Is it more than 5 million?
Last edited by ivarf on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:48 am

How many turn up in these chats?

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Spector wrote:

Well, his books are certainly a hot topic at the minute.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 am

ivarf wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:44 am
A topic for you to discuss: ZX Spectrum sales numbers. The total is 5 millions I believe. 15% of those were the Amstrad made Spectrum +3, roughly 750 000 machines. I can only assume more Spectrum +2 were made. How many Spectrums did Sinclair make? How about russian clones, Timex and maybe other producers? How much larger is the total? Is it more than 5 million?
I think counting all the clones, the figure will be closer to ten million. It will be more than the Amstrad CPC464 sold, don't worry about that.
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:48 am
How many turn up in these chats?
We had Sepiroth81, Katzkatz, Alarm and myself on last week, but we were all mainly there to see if Kieren Hawken AKA The Laird would turn up as he has been there most weeks this year. Sadly, he didn't. It really does look as if he's gone.

WaveRacer wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:45 pm
Spector wrote:
Yes, the Retro Gaming Chatroom hosted on Discord is on this weekend, Sunday 9pm to be precise, special guest star (and ex Retro Gamer writer) The Laird may well be there tonight, so why not pop in and say hello to him and even ask him about his books if you like! I know Markopoloman loves to do that!! :D
Well, his books are certainly a hot topic at the minute.
It can only be a matter of time before there is a Daily Mail expose of him followed by anonymous twitter accounts promoting #Justice4Laird hashtags :wink:

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:21 am

I'll really give it a go this Sunday. I think I'm free.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:18 am

Spector wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 am
ivarf wrote:
I think counting all the clones, the figure will be closer to ten million. It will be more than the Amstrad CPC464 sold, don't worry about that.
5 million Spectrum clones sold sounds very high. Do you have any sources to support that claim? If Amstrad sold just as many Spectrums as Sinclair and as you suggests 10 million machines were sold total, maybe only 2-3 million Sinclairs were made by Sinclair. No wonder Sinclair had to sell its business, when even their main machine sold so little. Sinclair were just lucky for a few years before the C5 and QL.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:46 am

ivarf wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:18 am
Spector wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:54 am
ivarf wrote:
5 million Spectrum clones sold sounds very high. Do you have any sources to support that claim?
No. I just make figures and facts up off the top off my head to win arguments :mrgreen:

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:48 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:21 am
I'll really give it a go this Sunday. I think I'm free.

The chat is quite irreverant, and this weekend we will still be on the potential lookout for The Laird who you will surely know has made a little bit of news recently. But he didn't turn up last week so I doubt he will be back again. See you from 9pm ish on Sunday if you can make it :wink:

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:39 pm

Just to let you know the chat is on this Sunday at 9pm again. Due to the conversation being so much about Laird recently, we were thinking of renaming it the Kieren Hawken Fan Club, but that might not increase the attendance! Hope to see some of you there on Sunday 9pm anyway--the link is in my signature 😉