Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm every Sunday

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm GMT every Sunday

Post by Spector » Sat May 18, 2019 1:27 pm

It has been a grim week with the story of one of the greatest television shows of all time being axed in controversial circumstances. Jeremy Kyle's highly entertaining current affairs programme has been pulled after one of the guests was found dead, and there have been suggestions the programme made him do it. Whatever the reasons, it is a huge loss to television, as we have no equivalent to replace it. I honestly believe Jeremy Kyle was even better than Jerry Springer.

So using that as an inspiration for the weekend's chatroom, the hot topic is this:

What is your favourite retrogame where you have to kick the hell out of lowlife scum to complete it??

Personally I loved Cobra and Target Renegade on the Spectrum, and Streets Of Rage on the Megadrive in my opinion topped even Final Fight. But what is your favourite? Join us Sunday night on the Discord chatroom from 9pm. The link is in the signature of this post. All chavs are welcome!!! :)
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Come on this evening from 9pm where we will talk. And you can talk about whatever you want. Honestly, any old rubbish is allowed, not just Amstrad. I hope you can find the time to troll. This facebook nonsense is just a flash in the pan. In a few years time, online chatrooms will be back again, I know it!!! :wink:
The link is in my signature in big blue writing. See you there, weirdos! :D

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Hey Guys!!! I'm standing in for Spector this week and using his account!! Bodacious!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
My names Nintendo85 and I want to invite everyone to the retro gaming chat tonight using the link in Spector's signature. It starts from 9pm and you can talk about anything. Of course we want to talk about the main machines in Retro Gaming ie NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, Turbografx and Playstation, but you can also talk about computers too like C64, Vic20 and Atari 8 bit!! Even minority machines like the Spectrum can be discussed if you like!!!!!! Rad!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The hot topic tonight is about that gloomy period between late 1983 and late 1985 when video gaming was almost non-existent. Atari stopped making games and Coleco quit too, and it wasn't till Christmas 85 that gaming became popular again with NES. What did you do in between? Did you keep playing old games? Personally I got into Ice Hockey trading cards big time. I remember having FIVE Wayne Gretzkys and was selling them for ten bucks each!! I also played a lot in my local softball league, but I was never any good. But what did you guys do?? Let us know from tonight on the Retro Gaming Chat from 9pm. The link is in the signature of this post. See you there guys! Cowabunga!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Good to see everyone last night!

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:29 pm

sscott wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 pm
Good to see everyone last night!
Yes I was just going to come on here and post about that. It was good to see you on there just like the old times, and with laird on there too we talked about quite a number of things. We talked about retro arcades! We talked about the tangibility of infinity! We talked about forum wars! We even talked about Amstrad! Yeah, it was wild. And hopefully we can do it all again next week :D

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:04 pm

It is fifty years on from July 20th 1969, when man first stepped on the moon and uttered the now immortal line: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for extreme right-wing republicans." It's amazing to realise all these years later that the moon landings were actually faked in a movie studio by Stanley Kubrick and it's increasingly likely the Chinese will be the first to properly land there in the next ten years. Just imagine that: Kung Fu on the moon! With all the 1969 nostalgia though, the hot topic this weekend is the following:

What is your favourite retro game that includes the moon??

I would go for Moon Patrol, the 1982 arcade game clearly inspired by the Apollo missions and which featured the moon buggy that astronauts used on the surface itself. But what would you choose? Let us know from tomorrow Sunday at 9pm on Discord - the link is in my signature. Everyone is invited, be they astronauts, programmers, failed writers... it doesn't matter. So see you there: Roger![BEEP!] 8)

Spector

Re: Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm every Sunday

Post by Spector » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am

Well, Sunday evening was very good once again with The Laird, Sscott and other veterans talking about very old video games. There weren't any big arguments unfortunately, but maybe next time! 😉

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:24 am

We have a new leader, and potentially a new legend in Boris Sergeyevich Johnson, the 437th Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and soon to be inaugural Prime Minister of the Fifty First State. He has got the position through attention to detail and an ability to work with both sides of the argument, as can be seen by his new cabinet which includes notable moderates such as Pretty Patel, Dominic Raab and Martin Bormann. With Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and Johnson in power at the same time, this will be seen in future as one of the greatest eras in the history of politics.

As a tribute to this 'holy trinity' of the modern world, I have decided to make this week's Hot Topic the following:

What is your favourite conversion of the arcade classic Rampage??

You remember that one? Where three moronic gargoyle creatures wreak havoc on the cities, destroying people's lives and livelihoods?? It was great fun, but what version did you play at home? I liked the Speccy version, but the Atari Lynx had a neat attempt too. Would you believe the Atari 2600 had a conversion as well? Yes, and it was...so-so :D I seem to remember a Master System release that worked well... but what was your favourite one? Let us know from 9pm tonight on the Retro Chat. The link is in my signature. Be there or be in financial chaos. Then again, come November, we're all going to be in financial chaos anyway!! :mrgreen: :wink:

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Come on again tonight for some more non-Facebook related entertainment where we will talk about anything retro and of course censored anything at all related to Amstrad :D There may even be some arguments between a couple of members who aren't fans of each other's work, and there may be some snooker-related analogies in there too :mrgreen: The only way to find out is to join the discord chatroom from 9pm and view the action for yourself, so follow the link in my signature and I'll see you there! :)

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:13 pm

It is of course devastating to realise that one of my main interests is in fact responsible for so much of the suffering in the developed world. Yes folks, it's true: video games directly inspired the recent mass murder shootings in America. I actually feel in part to blame for the killings myself, as I had the audacity to visit the Arcade Club in Leeds to play classic games from the last four decades. I mean, how crass is that? People are dying in America, and what do I do? I participate in the very thing that made it happen. Disgusting, I know.

And you know what? I actually found myself taking part in my own appalling acts of violence when I left. Having played Mr Do and Final Fight, I saw an old woman on the street and threw a bouncing ball at her, which completely knocked her to the ground. Another passer by tried to restrain me, but I found a giant metal pole and smashed him across the face with it before performing a massive jump kick which he didn't get up from. Then I went to the newsagents and bought a newspaper. But it was rubbish, so on the way to the station I threw the paper at a suburban house window, smashing it completely and then shouted "Don't tell my boss!" After that I went home.

Look, I'm sorry for what I did, okay? I just couldn't help myself. It was the videogames that made me do it, you've got to believe me! I hope you are able to forgive my actions enough to answer this week's hot topic in the Discord Chatroom, and the question is this:

What is the most violent 1980s retro game you ever played??

I would suggest Final Fight would have to be in there. Double Dragon was simpler graphically but there was some pretty explicit fighting with knees to the face quite often. Target Renegade on the 8 bits emulated this pretty well. In terms of body count, you can't argue with Commando, where at the end of levels you find yourself doing 360 degree spins while shooting manically to kill dozens of people. But what do you think is the most violent 80s game? Tune in on Sunday at 9pm for the chatroom using the link in my signature. Everyone is welcome. And remember, if you're playing any games between now and then, try not to kill anyone! :)

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Last week we were almost overpowered by the amount of people on discord at the same time, including Laird and Retro Vertigo from America giving a Spectrum-free take on the retro scene. I think DreamcastRIP AKA Sephiroth81 also turned up and Markopolomintman was there too in between drinking behind the bar of his pub. It all kicks off again tonight from 9pm and I would like you to join us from then (or afterwards up to about midnight) for some more retro-related entertainment. The link is in my signature. You know it makes sense! :wink:

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes, we are here again tonight from 9pm. Come on if you are bored enough. Tonight we are starting a poll to find the worst Amstrad game ever made. Only the very, very worst games can be considered because we simply don't have the time to go through them all. This week it'll be games starting with the letters A and B, so hopefully we can narrow that down to no more than a couple of hundred. The link to the chat is in my signature. I'll see you there! ;)

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:35 pm

And it all starts again from this Sunday at 9pm. You can talk about anything no matter how right-wing, as long as it isn't to do with the Amstrad of course, and the link to join is in the signature of this post. I hope to see you there on Sunday evening from 9pm onwards :)

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:57 am

It has been a dreadful week for holidaymakers that have dealt with Thomas Cook: the company goes bust and all package holidays are void. People tried to re-book flights on other airlines and found the prices tripled overnight. It really does redefine the definition of a bad purchase. I actually bought flights via Thomas Cook in July, so I was not too delighted when I heard what was going on. However, I was ready for them, and first thing on Monday morning I booked replacement flights that weren't too expensive. Just 20 minutes later, they had gone up by £100! :shock:

That leads me on to this week's chatroom hot topic:

What was the worst, most ill-advised purchase you ever made in the retro-gaming era?

Maybe you bought World Cup Carnival in 1986? Maybe you bought a GX4000 for Xmas 1990? Maybe you bought an Amstrad CPC464?? Only joking about the last one, Darran! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Honestly, I know the Amstrad is great, and you were absolutely right to move the Amstrad name to first in the list on the Retro Gamer cover!! :lol:

Anyway, the chatroom is open from 9pm tonight, so just click the link in my signature to join, and I hope to see you there. Be there or be Thomas Cook!! :wink:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:30 pm

It finally happened, we were all sat at the computer at the same time and was in the same place in cyber-space! I found out, chatting requires quick-thinking and the ability to talk freely, calling up different stuff to talk about, to make a good conversation - my mind has trouble doing this.

Anyway, it was a marvellous moment and nice to meet you Katz, Godzilla and Godzooki in person . Sorry about the sudden exit, living up to my name with stealthily disappearing. Hope to catch you all next week
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"