Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm every Sunday

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spector

Retro Gaming Chat on Discord - join in at 9pm every Sunday

Post by Spector » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:02 am

EDIT: READ THE LAST POST ON THIS THREAD FOR AN UPDATE AS TO WHERE THE CHAT IS CURRENTLY BEING HOSTED.

From this Sunday July 8th onwards, I'm doing a IRC Retro Gaming channel where we talk about anything old. Obviously games will be a big part of it, but you can talk about whatever you like really. To get on, all you need to do is click this link:

https://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?chann ... mibbit.net

You will then go to a screen where you are asked to give yourself a username (a "nick"), click "go" and you will be IN! :)

The clientele on the IRC chat can be a little eccentric, but since we're into thirty year old videogames, that's what it's all about, right?? :D This chat is an unofficial thing separate from the magazine and it's just a bit of fun, but there can be some good conversation too. I hope to see some curious people here on it this Sunday evening.

Special thanks go to Nick Thorpe for giving permission to advertise the IRC on this forum ;)
Last edited by Spector on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:11 am, edited 25 times in total.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Crusty Starfish

Re: IRC Retro Gaming Chat 9pm Sundays from July 8th

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm

I may pop in and say Hi.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:02 pm

The more the merrier. See you there!

Spector

Post by Spector » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm
I may pop in and say Hi.
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:02 pm
The more the merrier. See you there!
Indeed. Of course, you don't need to log in bang on 9pm; anytime after that up to 11pm or even later and you may find retro talk still going on :)

Spector

Re: IRC Retro Gaming Chat 9pm Sunday from July 15th

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:03 am

The biggest sporting weekend of the year arrives with both the men's singles final at Wimbledon and the World Cup Final not only on the same day, but probably at the same time as well, the first occasion that's ever happened. England of course won't be in that final, and truth be told they didn't deserve to be. They were technically the worst by far of the last four. Then there's the Golden Boot which will be won by Harry Kane. Okay, so he does have limitations. He doesn't cross the ball much, he can't make a killer pass, he's not particularly quick, he's not particularly stylish or elegant, he can't beat a player one on one and he has the charisma of Pete Sampras in a coma. Apart from that, he's pretty good! He deserves the award - the way he put in those four penalties was brilliant, and the way he let that ball bounce off his heel and go in against Panama... world class! :D

But enough of the cynicism, I want the topic for the RG audience to be the following:

What are your favourite football and tennis games?

For me, it's Euro Football Champ and Tekhan World Cup in the arcades plus Final Match Tennis on the PC Engine. But what are yours? Join me tonight from 9pm with a few other weirdos on the IRC channel. The link is in my signature at the bottom of my posts. No doubt we'll get the odd anonymous visitor from another forum as usual, but don't worry, they might be noisy, but they're harmless ;) I look forward to seeing you then, kiddies!

Sephiroth81

Re: IRC Retro Gaming Chat 9pm Sunday from July 15th

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:00 am

Spector wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:03 am
The biggest sporting weekend of the year arrives with both the men's singles final at Wimbledon and the World Cup Final not only on the same day, but probably at the same time as well, the first occasion that's ever happened. England of course won't be in that final, and truth be told they didn't deserve to be. They were technically the worst by far of the last four. Then there's the Golden Boot which will be won by Harry Kane. Okay, so he does have limitations. He doesn't cross the ball much, he can't make a killer pass, he's not particularly quick, he's not particularly stylish or elegant, he can't beat a player one on one and he has the charisma of Pete Sampras in a coma. Apart from that, he's pretty good! He deserves the award - the way he put in those four penalties was brilliant, and the way he let that ball bounce off his heel and go in against Panama... world class! :D

But enough of the cynicism, I want the topic for the RG audience to be the following:

What are your favourite football and tennis games?

For me, it's Euro Football Champ and Tekhan World Cup in the arcades plus Final Match Tennis on the PC Engine. But what are yours? Join me tonight from 9pm with a few other weirdos on the IRC channel. The link is in my signature at the bottom of my posts. No doubt we'll get the odd anonymous visitor from another forum as usual, but don't worry, they might be noisy, but they're harmless ;) I look forward to seeing you then, kiddies!
Kane's hat-trick (two pens and a lovely deft heel flick) against those Panamanian accountants and fishermen was world class though, you must confess. He probably is far more impressive in the premier league than he has been at the world cup, but he's been a pretty solid goal-hanger in this competition (apart from in the semi finals and quarters when England were up against more full-time footballers). Gary Lineker would have been proud of him, being a fellow goal-hanging golden boot thief.

Ooh favourite footy games.....Pro Evo series on PS1/PS2, adored Super Soccer on the SNES (despite being objectively naff, its a fun arcade style kickabout), Kick Off on Amiga, and Striker on the SNES was something I played to death. Never got into the earlier, critically acclaimed, Konami footy games like ISS/Deluxe, till they went full 3D with the Pro as previously mentioned. Honourable mention for the mighty International Soccer on the Commodore 64 - the only C64 cartridge game I owned!

Tennis wise, so many great tennis games. SNES had the super....Super Tennis. Jimmy Connors was also immense with 4 player mode, same with Smash Court Tennis (aka Family Tennis or whatever it was called for the Super Famicom). The latters sequel on the PS1, Anna Kournikovas Smash Court Tennis was also very playable. Then later, Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast. Final Match Tennis is something I've played a few times based on your recommendation, and can see why you like it, just need to play it a bit more. The very basic "Tennis" on the original Gameboy is also surprisingly enjoyable. All of these tennis games have aged very well.

Spector

Re: IRC Retro Gaming Chat 9pm Sunday July 15th

Post by Spector » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Last night was interesting, though would have been more so had the traditional mystery man actually spoken. Yes, this time it was "TicTacToe" who came on without identifying himself and said nothing. Who will it be next week???? Tune in from 9pm this Sunday to find out!!

Spector

Re: IRC Retro Gaming Chat 9pm Sunday July 22nd

Post by Spector » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Well, children, we have another weekend and another anachronism to look forward to: the Retro Gaming IRC channel! We can only hope it will be as exciting as last week's, and will we get the mystery guest who always seems to log on in the first hour then disappears?

I will be talking about the Arcade Club in Bury because I'm going there next week and I've never been before. I've visited Haslingden (where Andy Palmer used to host his machines), but never Bury. If anyone reading this has been there, I'd certainly like to hear from you on the IRC chat, which begins Sunday at 9pm. You are all welcome, whether you are man or beast. That includes lions too :) The link is in my signature on this post. See you then, pixel lovers!!!

Spector

Re: IRC Retro Gaming Chat 9pm Sunday July 22nd

Post by Spector » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:51 am

The special guest star arrived again for Sunday's episode. But who was it? George Hamilton? Rock Hudson? Ricardo Montalban? No, it was "laslo", and sadly, he didn't seem to have any lines, as he just lurked in the background suspiciously before logging off again! Maybe he was hungry and decided to get something to eat in the Canteen! :mrgreen:

Anyway, the show continues next week, and I can't wait to find out what mr mystery will call himself then :wink:

Spector

Re: IRC Retro Gaming Chat 9pm Sunday July 29th

Post by Spector » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:26 am

We are back to the weekend, and I have decided to spend it the way any proper retrogamer would- be visiting the Arcade Club in Bury! It's also a personal ambition of mine to go down there. It's the usual bucket list of exotic places: Rio, Acapulco, Paris, Cairo, Florida (sscott beat me to that one) and Bury. Only five to go now!

It's so hot in the Arcade Club building. The retro is on the third floor, and so on a hot day it's roasting. I was exhausted after playing Final Fight because of it, almost as if I was playing the game in real life. But the drinks in the place are at great prices, so keep downing liquids. I'll be in there again today, because I MUST beat my high scores on Frogger and Time Pilot!

I will be back late tomorrow night, but I hope to come on sometime and I'll talk about it some more. I hope you can join the others who come on, such as katzkatz, playzooooooki, sephiroth81 and welcometodie. Use the link in my signature. Maybe we'll get other guest visitors on too... we shall see! ;)

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 am

Indeed, we were briefly visited by another mystery man with a name I can't repeat here, but it was before I arrived so I wasn't able to offer him my thanks for turning up. We actually talked about old videogames because of my jaunt to Bury... how about that?!?? Let us hope that the beauty can continue next week. We know it makes sense :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:21 am

See you all tonight, retro squares. I look forward to briefly observing a mystery guest log in, then disappear without saying anything (or getting booted by Spactor).

Spector

Re: IRC Retro Gaming Chat 9pm Sunday August 5th

Post by Spector » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:31 am

I was just about to post - yes from 9pm tonight, the fun begins once again as we try and figure out who the anon guest is that seems to appear every week. Use the link in my signature to join and we can argue about all sorts of things. It will be beautiful, I promise ;)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:09 am

Quite an unusual number of "characters" came on last night, some briefly and with little to say! Next time, don't be shy! :mrgreen:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:13 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:09 am
Quite an unusual number of "characters" came on last night, some briefly and with little to say! Next time, don't be shy! :mrgreen:
Yeah I suppose I am unusual :lol: