Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply
User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:05 am
Location: London
Contact:

Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by Mayhem » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 am

...is now live, and can be pledged for here...!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47 ... =user_menu
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6334
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by merman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:37 pm

Backed. And writing for it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14264
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 am

Good, this needed to happen. Crash! was done really well. I'd really like to see some of the 'games that weren't' reviewed rather than homebrew, and the c64 has a number of those.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6334
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by merman » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:44 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 am
Good, this needed to happen. Crash! was done really well. I'd really like to see some of the 'games that weren't' reviewed rather than homebrew, and the c64 has a number of those.
I think the content has already been decided, but it's something I could do...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 am

Backed! :)

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14264
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue May 01, 2018 6:48 pm

merman wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:44 pm
paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 am
Good, this needed to happen. Crash! was done really well. I'd really like to see some of the 'games that weren't' reviewed rather than homebrew, and the c64 has a number of those.
I think the content has already been decided, but it's something I could do...
Sounds good, I'd certainly back it. We seem to have so many books now about games we've played and none about those games that didn't quite make it. And if the old Zzap! crew gave them reviews same as they did back in the day, dishing out Sizzlers and Gold Medals to those that missed out back in the day, it would be doing the original programmers some kind of compensation for tbeir time and effort.

I've always wondered about Zzap! and Crash! staff re-reviewing the games they got badly wrong back in the day. If they all chose one great game they scored badly and one bad game they overrated that would be interesting too. Does Zoids still get a Gold Medal? Does 3d Ant Attack now get Smashed?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6334
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by merman » Wed May 02, 2018 2:29 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:48 pm
merman wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:44 pm
paranoid marvin wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 am
Good, this needed to happen. Crash! was done really well. I'd really like to see some of the 'games that weren't' reviewed rather than homebrew, and the c64 has a number of those.
I think the content has already been decided, but it's something I could do...
Sounds good, I'd certainly back it. We seem to have so many books now about games we've played and none about those games that didn't quite make it. And if the old Zzap! crew gave them reviews same as they did back in the day, dishing out Sizzlers and Gold Medals to those that missed out back in the day, it would be doing the original programmers some kind of compensation for tbeir time and effort.

I've always wondered about Zzap! and Crash! staff re-reviewing the games they got badly wrong back in the day. If they all chose one great game they scored badly and one bad game they overrated that would be interesting too. Does Zoids still get a Gold Medal? Does 3d Ant Attack now get Smashed?
There was a neat feature called ZZAPBACK where ZZAP used to look back at old reviews and re-rate games. For this annual Julian Rignall is doing just that.

Oh, and I have today seen Roger Kean's layouts for my feature - those four pages are looking awesome already :wink:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14264
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 pm

merman wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:29 pm
paranoid marvin wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:48 pm
merman wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:44 pm


I think the content has already been decided, but it's something I could do...
Sounds good, I'd certainly back it. We seem to have so many books now about games we've played and none about those games that didn't quite make it. And if the old Zzap! crew gave them reviews same as they did back in the day, dishing out Sizzlers and Gold Medals to those that missed out back in the day, it would be doing the original programmers some kind of compensation for tbeir time and effort.

I've always wondered about Zzap! and Crash! staff re-reviewing the games they got badly wrong back in the day. If they all chose one great game they scored badly and one bad game they overrated that would be interesting too. Does Zoids still get a Gold Medal? Does 3d Ant Attack now get Smashed?
There was a neat feature called ZZAPBACK where ZZAP used to look back at old reviews and re-rate games. For this annual Julian Rignall is doing just that.

Oh, and I have today seen Roger Kean's layouts for my feature - those four pages are looking awesome already :wink:
Nice one! I suppose there was also tbe budget re-reviews , but they rarely (if ever) actually admitted when they had originally mis-scored a game. My only niggle with the Crash! annual last year was the amount of homebrew featured in it, but either way I'm actually more excited for the Zzap! than I was the Speccy (and I am more Speccy than I am C64).

When good c64 people like yourself and some of the others mentioned, only good things can come of it!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
bensonrad
Posts: 3567
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Seaford, Sussex

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by bensonrad » Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 pm

Backed this bad boy, looking forward to it.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:05 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by Mayhem » Thu May 03, 2018 12:10 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 pm
My only niggle with the Crash! annual last year was the amount of homebrew featured in it, but either way I'm actually more excited for the Zzap! than I was the Speccy (and I am more Speccy than I am C64).
Just to note, quite a bit of the content is along similar lines, so all the reviews in the Zzap!64 annual are of games released in the last ten years, but hopefully that doesn't quell your excitement ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26621
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Finding great new games that haven't been covered in the mainstream before is why these things are great. The last of PSJs Speccy Bibles is perhaps my favourite as there's just so much undiscovered gems for me in it. Crash/ZZap already covered all the key games from their era, so new games coverage is what I want.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:05 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Zzap!64 Annual 2019 Kickstarter

Post by Mayhem » Mon May 07, 2018 9:10 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:52 pm
Finding great new games that haven't been covered in the mainstream before is why these things are great. The last of PSJs Speccy Bibles is perhaps my favourite as there's just so much undiscovered gems for me in it. Crash/ZZap already covered all the key games from their era, so new games coverage is what I want.
We are covering some notable, slightly older games such as Prince of Persia and Knight n Grail, but a lot of the titles have come out in the last two years, including Planet Golf, Barnsley Badger, Steel Ranger, Pains n Aches, Galencia, and Sam's Journey. Sydney Hunter came in just too late probably to be done this time, but there always has to be a cut off point sadly. And there's a few that were out in time that didn't make the cut for whatever reason, so if there's another annual, they can be covered then.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest