im becoming my dad!!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

im becoming my dad!!

Post by Submerge » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:21 am

been watching a show of late called im becoming my dad, on some freeview channel, excellent show, celebs (well, roland rivron, golde looking chain, jimmi mistri, the blokes out of dirty sanchez) talk about their dads, and how in their late 20's, early 30's, they are becoming their dads. So, a question. Are you, and if yes, how, are you becoming your dad?

Me:
Telling people younger than me i know everything about every sport going, just like my dad does, then knowing nothing when quizzed about the akido world cup, or somthing

taking an interest in gardening

not worrying about brand clothes, and wearing what i feel comfortable in, despite the offense my lanky frame in a vest causes to all and sundry

constantly looking at new properties to buy, when i clearly have no intention of doing so, or the financial resources
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26789
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:26 am

Wearing M& S jeans (ok, that's partly because I'm overweight and can't bear to spend more than a tenner on a 'temporary' pair).

Turning off lights in empty rooms. On eof my dads bugbears has now become my habit.

Not getting a workman in when I can DIY - I've fitted a new Cheap MDF rubbish and bathroom so far, doing all the carpentry, plumbing, electrics, tiling. Takes forever to finish a job. Another of my dads traits.

Not liking my kids music. Seriously, have you heard modern 'R&B' (I use the term with some reserve) and that horrid hippity hop.

Losing my patience.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809
Posts: 18834
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:32 am

This thread does scare me a ton, had lots of scares the last year or two. Was always very proud i actually wasnt like my dad as since being retired hes been Victor Meldrew Mk II and admits it, however....

1) I like quiet weekends now instead of getting lashed up, probably as my mates are down south and i'm up north

2) The council idiots wanted to convert a building into a nursery at the end of our quiet road, wrote to them for the first time in my life

3) Constantly am moaning about chavs and the way they dress with their dodgy cap, jogging bottoms and black trainers.

4) Moan at the salaries premiership footballers are getting nowadays

User avatar
Shin_Gouki
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Shadow Moses Island, Fox Archipelago

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:42 am

I moan about stupid teenagers.

I too have taken a huge interest in gardening. My lawn and gardens are immaculate. I like it almost as much as Dad... the man should have been a greenskeeper... in fact I think Great Granddad actually was... anyway,

The car is also always clean.

I find myself confused with modern technology.

I only buy brand clothes if they're for special occasions.

I'd rather have go to work on the weekend than ever shop for clothes again.
真・豪鬼

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8698
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:44 am

Yeah how dare we educate kids.`
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:46 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:I moan about stupid teenagers.

I too have taken a huge interest in gardening. My lawn and gardens are immaculate. I like it almost as much as Dad... the man should have been a greenskeeper... in fact I think Great Granddad actually was... anyway,

The car is also always clean.

I find myself confused with modern technology.

I only buy brand clothes if they're for special occasions.

I'd rather have go to work on the weekend than ever shop for clothes again.
Great, I must still be young then as I am the opposite for all of those except 1 and 4.
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18834
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:48 am

Dudley wrote:Yeah how dare we educate kids.`
I presume that was to my comment about...

"2) The council idiots wanted to convert a building into a nursery at the end of our quiet road, wrote to them for the first time in my life "

Considering where i live there are enough local nurserys and the road we live down is a little country lane, it wouldnt support the amount of traffic coming down the road. Tons of 4 by 4's picking up their kids at all hours. The road i live down is very very quiet (one car at a time) and would be a nightmare with so much more traffic. Theres not enough parking spaces for the nursey (40 places), would just be a general nightmare.

For once the council were intelligent and rejected the application to convert ta country house into a nursery. I could print out the rest of the facts from the letter sent out to all local residents and from the council if you really do believe it was a bunch of moaners who didnt want to (as you put it) 'dare to educate kids'.

You dont know where i live, what type of road it is and how close the other nurseries are so i dont think you can really comment on it. The coucil this time really surprised me and saw sense.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26789
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:47 am

psj3809 wrote:
Dudley wrote:Yeah how dare we educate kids.`
I presume that was to my comment about...

"2) The council idiots wanted to convert a building into a nursery at the end of our quiet road, wrote to them for the first time in my life "

Considering where i live there are enough local nurserys and the road we live down is a little country lane, it wouldnt support the amount of traffic coming down the road. Tons of 4 by 4's picking up their kids at all hours. The road i live down is very very quiet (one car at a time) and would be a nightmare with so much more traffic. Theres not enough parking spaces for the nursey (40 places), would just be a general nightmare.

For once the council were intelligent and rejected the application to convert ta country house into a nursery. I could print out the rest of the facts from the letter sent out to all local residents and from the council if you really do believe it was a bunch of moaners who didnt want to (as you put it) 'dare to educate kids'.

You dont know where i live, what type of road it is and how close the other nurseries are so i dont think you can really comment on it. The coucil this time really surprised me and saw sense.
Now that's a dad response if ever I saw one ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

daverage
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:30 am
Contact:

Post by daverage » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:50 am

Could a sworn that said "I'm becoming a Dad!!"
So just like my dad I don't pay attention lol.
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers
Image

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6744
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:00 am

My first thought were the poster was involved in some kinda incestuous relationship or something. :wink:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Submerge » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:26 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:My first thought were the poster was involved in some kinda incestuous relationship or something. :wink:
no, no im not
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6744
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:31 am

A bit quick to get defensive there weren't ya?? :wink:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

User avatar
pottyboy
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:03 pm
Contact:

Post by pottyboy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:05 am

I have always been into using computers, just like me dad!

Plus, like him, I moan about other people's stupidity (and that's including those who watch Big Brother).
Image

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

psj3809
Posts: 18834
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:15 am

My dads never really got into computers, keep telling him how good the internet is but he always says 'theres nothing i need to find though' ! Used to play a few Speccy games back in the day but was a typical dad and was awful !

Submerge
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 am
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Submerge » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:23 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:A bit quick to get defensive there weren't ya?? :wink:
there was a five minute time lag, accusations of incest often take about .01 of a second to be defended, ooh err missus + other choice carry on sayings :lol:
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest