'The Apprentice' and other reality TV programmes

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:19 am

With regard to the Nigella seeds, they were not allowed to use computers to FIND or RESEARCH the items. They were basically working from the phone book/Yellow Pages.

I'm a big fan of The Apprentice, but I don't watch other "reality" shows. Mainly because they are NOT reality - they are edited and shaped to provide a story or controversy*.

*Yes, I know the same can be said of The Apprentice to some extent, but the actual idea of the program is more interesting than, say, shoving a group of people into a house and filming them 24 hours a day. Ooooh, it's 6am and no-one's awake... how thrilling. :roll:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:38 am

merman wrote:With regard to the Nigella seeds, they were not allowed to use computers to FIND or RESEARCH the items. They were basically working from the phone book/Yellow Pages.
What..? Where did you get that from because I watched the program and at no point did AMS say they were not allowed to use the phones HE gave them in order to complete the task. Maybe you read it on the website or something, I don't like the show enough to want to read all about it else where, so you may be right, but the idea that they are not allowed to reserch the products they were asked to get is silly.

That task has to be the most simple task there is.. Ring up a few people, find the item, barter with the seller for a couple of mins to get a few quid off for cash and in the pub for the afternoon having a couple of cold ones before strolling back to the office and saying "Theres your stuff, heres your change, where you sending me for a treat this week..!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:39 am

The american version has run its course in the US, it wont be renewed and Donald Trump has already left it (knowing its a sinking ship)

I did watch all the american ones, they werent bad, had the 'funny' characters but the US one also had such typical 'Princeton' type grads, all marketing David Brent talk etc and was pretty boring

Alan Sugar seems much more down to earth and is much better in the boardroom. I'm glad we dont all have 15 or so Oxford grads talking again like D.Brent but i think its a good mix in the UK version.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:41 am

psj3809 wrote:I'm not saying its cool to watch it but coming from the person who is probably 25-mid 30's....

- Has a Transformer logo as an avatar
- Talks on a retro gamer forum about computers 20 odd years ago
- Talks about the cartoon Dungeons and Dragons and admits to having a crush on the 'ginger bird'
- Is raving about the new Transformers film....

I could go on ! If i'm sad for liking Big Brother i dont think your one to talk ! ;)
Jesus, lighten up dude.

Obviously you'd be well suited in the house if you can't make light of a comment made in jest!

Now let me get back to fantasising over characters in cartoons :o
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:48 am

The smiley indicated that i was replying in jest ! Unlike your comment of calling me sad !

I think you would also be suited in the house if you are the type it seems to use the word 'dude' ! ;)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:51 am

psj3809 wrote:I'm not saying its cool to watch it but coming from the person who is probably 25-mid 30's....

- Has a Transformer logo as an avatar
- Talks on a retro gamer forum about computers 20 odd years ago
- Talks about the cartoon Dungeons and Dragons and admits to having a crush on the 'ginger bird'
- Is raving about the new Transformers film....

I could go on ! If i'm sad for liking Big Brother i dont think your one to talk ! ;)
When have I been "Raving" about the new TF Film then???

And, I can't understand your 2nd example "talks on a retro gamer forum about computers 20 odd years ago" - please feel free to enlighten me, as I thought that was the whole point OR is this forum for discussing fruit??

Submerge

Post by Submerge » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:17 am

the apprentice is excellent, especially from my point as a business/economcs teacher. So many good cases to use of sheer incompetence, poor leadership styles, basic business flaws.

The only guys to buck the trend are Tre, who I believe has the position all sown up - despite his forceful/confrontational style you can tell he has passion and wants to be the best, which I think he is.

As for other reality TV, big brother is a blight on society, apprentice usa isnt as good as ours, i dont like old trumpy, all the x factor etc is crap, if they are good enough they dont need shows like that!
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:34 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:And, I can't understand your 2nd example "talks on a retro gamer forum about computers 20 odd years ago" - please feel free to enlighten me, as I thought that was the whole point OR is this forum for discussing fruit??
I cant really slate someone else about being sad when i'm the one who is on a forum talking about 25 year old games. All my mates/wife laugh about it, i tend to try and keep it to being my 'secret hobby' !

I cant really have a go at people for being sad as here i am approaching mid 30's still playing old computer games.

And going by your thinking when the thread is all about the Apprentice why did you bother posting if you think we're all 'sad' for watching it ? Did you think this was a thread about fruit ?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:35 am

Submerge wrote:The only guys to buck the trend are Tre, who I believe has the position all sown up - despite his forceful/confrontational style you can tell he has passion and wants to be the best, which I think he is.
I actually really hope he does win as he seems more down to earth and 'real' rather than the other manufactured ones.

Cant stand that Katie, that apprentice program the other day was interesting though, didnt realise the irish girl had a kid at such a young age and has done really well working her way up. As for Tre considering he wasnt able to walk after that accident a few years back its amazing what hes doing now

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:07 am

psj3809 wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:And, I can't understand your 2nd example "talks on a retro gamer forum about computers 20 odd years ago" - please feel free to enlighten me, as I thought that was the whole point OR is this forum for discussing fruit??
I cant really slate someone else about being sad when i'm the one who is on a forum talking about 25 year old games. All my mates/wife laugh about it, i tend to try and keep it to being my 'secret hobby' !

I cant really have a go at people for being sad as here i am approaching mid 30's still playing old computer games.

And going by your thinking when the thread is all about the Apprentice why did you bother posting if you think we're all 'sad' for watching it ? Did you think this was a thread about fruit ?
Um.........I never said watching the Apprentice was sad nor that the people watching it are sad, can you quote me for saying that?? I think NOT!

You've just made yourself out to look a bit daft now, as I didn't say that.

I think if you check again, then you'll find I commented on watching BB as being Sad.

The irony here is the comment you made about posting on the RG forum in general as being sad may have offended more members than just me!

I really enjoy The Apprentice as it happens.

Oh, and BTW - I think if we took a poll on which is sadder between Transformers and BB, BB would be the clear "Winner".

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:43 am

Fight...Fight...Fight.. :twisted:

Again, I'll watch BB if its on, but wouldn't go out of my way. Especially this season as its all girls so there'll be too much petty squabbles. Tears over hair straighteners last night, as if that's worth getting upset about.

Charly just reminds me of Catherine Tate every time she opens her gob.

BB beats Apprentice. No chance of boobage on Sir Alan's show.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:BB beats Apprentice. No chance of boobage on Sir Alan's show.
They are all mouth and no substance in the house this time so not much chance of boobage in there either.... :(

RIK

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:58 am

Guys, calm the censored down, everybody else can see you both just messing about, nothing was meant to be taken seriously.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:18 am

EvilArmourKing wrote: I think if you check again, then you'll find I commented on watching BB as being Sad.
Yep typo by me and yes i look so daft now, i dont think i can ever leave the house again, terrible mistake !

Anyway i've seen your posts on the 8 bit computer thread so i know theres no point arguing with you as you'll go on and onnnnn !

So you win ! I'm sad for liking Big Brother, you are the best !!!!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:34 am

I still think EvilArmourKing is joking though, hes been PM'ing me asking if i've got any of the last series of Big Brother on DVD as hes missing 3 and 4 ;)