'The Apprentice' and other reality TV programmes

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Edward Eoifsch

'The Apprentice' and other reality TV programmes

Post by Edward Eoifsch » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Hello fellow Retro Games fans.

I have noticed that there appears to be no topic about 'The Apprentice UK', the reality television programme in which contestants compete for a job with Sir Alan Sugar and his company Amstrad (creators of the Amstrad CPC range), so I thought I put up a topic to discuss the show, I think this would appeal to Amstrad fans.

I also have a questionaire for anybody that reads this and here it is.

1. What do you like about 'The Apprentice'?

2. What season of 'The Apprentice' is your favourite?

3. What do you think of the tasks on the show?

4. What do you think of the candidates in terms of their skill, whether or not you like them?

5. What have you to say about the companion programme 'The Apprentice: You're Fired'?

6. What other reality TV programmes interest you?

Here are my own answers.

1. I watch 'The Apprentice' partly because Sir Alan Sugar and Amstrad contributed to the world of retro computers and are on the show and although I don't consider myself a fan of Sir Sugar I have plenty of respect for him and Amstrad, but I watch the show mostly to see what tasks the contestants take part in and which contestant wins the job. 'The Apprentice' is my favourite reality TV show.

2. I haven't seen much of Season 1 and there are many watchers that say the contestants of Season 3, this season, aren't quite as capable as those of the previous seasons and frankly I agree, so my favourite so far is Season 2.

3. I think some of the tasks could be a bit strange, as some appear to involve a bit of cookery and there was one on this season about product presentation on live television, but I suppose they are all business oriented and the different tasks do evoke different reactions from the candidates.

4. I admit that I don't like all the candidates, although I don't hate them either, but I won't dispute they all have their own skills and are good at certain things.

5. I think the companion programme 'The Apprentice, You're Fired' with the presenter Adrian Chiles is enjoyable. It has an interview with the dismissed candidates that allows us to see what they're really like and they are known to be slightly different from what has been portrayed of them and we could see Sir Sugar's reason to dismiss them, how they came across on their auditions, how popular they are with the audience and their highlights clips of their stay (similar to that of evicted 'Big Brother' contestants, I have to say).

6. I normally watch reality TV shows when there's nothing else on and I like these shows.

'Hell's Cheap MDF rubbish'. Well the one with chef Gordon Ramsay on.
'The F Word'. This Channel 4 programme has Gordon Ramsay on it and follows him on what he does.
'The X-Factor'. Particularly the celebrity edition.
'Fame Academy'. It's about music. The comic relief (celebrity) edition is good as well.
'Big Brother'. Well only Season 4 and Season 7. I also like the celebrity edition that had TV presenter Michael Barrymore on.

There you have it.

I would also like to point out this isn't strictly a questionaire topic, as I have already stated this is a topic to discuss 'The Apprentice'. I would be happy to discuss anything about the show.

Thanks for any replies.

From Edward Eoifsch.
Last edited by Edward Eoifsch on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Never saw the episode where they had to sell the stuff on live tv, but saw one from an earlier series, or perhaps the American one where they had the exact same task. The one's that tried to sell the more mundane stuff made a lot more money than the group who thought they'd make loads selling cheap hi tech stuff. Watch the show when I can and enjoy it but half the time I don't get the chance really.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Edward Eoifsch

Post by Edward Eoifsch » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Well, it's on every Wednesday on BBC 1, they're almost onto the final.

Thanks, let the replies roll in.

From Edward Eoifsch.

bolda

Post by bolda » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:59 am

I think you should apply for the next series of The Apprentice, Edward! :D

I watch it every week and I really enjoyed the first series. The second was also quite good but the latest series has become a bit "formulaic"... I think with most reality TV shows, the first series is usually the best because the contestants have few pre-conceptions about the show and how the viewing public will react to it. By series 3, I think there is a bit too much "playing up to the camera".

I could watch Sir Alan Sugar every minute of the day... I love the guy and find him a fascinating character!
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:01 am

I've never seen it. May have to download the first series

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:06 am

I've never seen the attraction. Seen the odd episode, but I have no desire to watch it regularly. Its bad enough having to work myself without watching other people work.

Not as bad as Deal or No Deal, the game of pure luck with no tension thanks to its complete lack of skill requirement - pick a number, any number, you win/lose, that's it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:58 am

Your questionaire falls down a bit if the answer to question one is "nothing".

I'm not interested in reality tv, and don't watch any if I can help it. I've never seen a full episode of The Apprentice but from what I have seen the contestants are either useless or back-stabbing or both.

And 'The F-Word' is reality tv now? I thought it was a food prograem.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:59 am

1. What do you like about 'The Apprentice'?

It's an entertaining show, which is, as far as I'm concerned, unheard of for reality tv.

2. What season of 'The Apprentice' is your favourite?

They've all been pretty good so far. I think the last one has been my favourite so far. I'm suprised they haven't released any on dvd yet.

3. What do you think of the tasks on the show?

Some are more interesting than others, I don't usually like the interview task, which is this weeks, but it does produce some good tv, last year one of the candidates got asked what Amstrad do and he said they sold computers only to be told by the interviewer that Amstrad hadn't sold computer for x amount of years.

4. What do you think of the candidates in terms of their skill, whether or not you like them?

Each candidate brings something different to the table there hasn't been a particular one I've disliked although there have been a few I'd like to have seen fired earlier.

5. What have you to say about the companion programme 'The Apprentice: You're Fired'?

I haven't really watched this, once or twice I think, but it does show things you don't see on the normall show.

6. What other reality TV programmes interest you?

I have no desire to watch any other reality tv show.
Splink!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:59 am

The Apprentice is an OK show but why do they have to fill it full of Stu-Stu-Stupid people all the time..?

One week they had a task which involed them picking up items from a list as cheap as possible, a simple task which I could have done on my own and be finished by lunch time in the pub.
These numptys took all day and still didn't do it properly.... One of the teams were stuck as they didn't know what Nigella seeds were, fair enough, not everyone knows everything, but they then went round trying to work out what they were and where to get them in the most bizzare ways (asking members of the public..?) when all along the TV people have given them internet compatible mobile phones.. JUST GOGGLE THE DAM THINGS YOU THICKOS..!!!!!

Bunch of Div's the lot of 'em

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:11 am

Opa-Opa wrote:The Apprentice is an OK show but why do they have to fill it full of Stu-Stu-Stupid people all the time..?

One week they had a task which involed them picking up items from a list as cheap as possible, a simple task which I could have done on my own and be finished by lunch time in the pub.
These numptys took all day and still didn't do it properly.... One of the teams were stuck as they didn't know what Nigella seeds were, fair enough, not everyone knows everything, but they then went round trying to work out what they were and where to get them in the most bizzare ways (asking members of the public..?) when all along the TV people have given them internet compatible mobile phones.. JUST GOGGLE THE DAM THINGS YOU THICKOS..!!!!!

Bunch of Div's the lot of 'em
It wouldn't be any fun though if they all just sailed through each task with flying colours, we wan't them to do bad :D
Splink!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:12 am

but it is supposed to be reality tv, so why make it so unlike reality.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:22 am

I like the Apprentice but to be honest if i was Sir Alan i wouldn't hire any of them.

Off topic but i was unfortunate enough to watch Big brother last night and couldn't believe just how petty and bitchy a house full of women ( children ) could be.!

RIK

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:39 am

I do like the Apprentice, dont watch it because of Alan Sugar just because i like the format. Prefer Sugar than the american version (Trump).

The people on it are annoying BUT if it was 15 or so total boring suits no one would watch hence they obviously have some mentals in it.

I find it much better than the american version.

By the way on 'Badger or bust' on Sky 1 yesterday her task was to help this gadget company sell their stock as they had 300k of the Sinclair A-1 bikes !

I dont watch many other reality tv shows apart from Big Brother but thats going downhill all the time. Apprentice i do enjoy though

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:46 am

psj3809 wrote:I do like the Apprentice, dont watch it because of Alan Sugar just because i like the format. Prefer Sugar than the american version (Trump).

The people on it are annoying BUT if it was 15 or so total boring suits no one would watch hence they obviously have some mentals in it.

I find it much better than the american version.

By the way on 'Badger or bust' on Sky 1 yesterday her task was to help this gadget company sell their stock as they had 300k of the Sinclair A-1 bikes !

I dont watch many other reality tv shows apart from Big Brother but thats going downhill all the time. Apprentice i do enjoy though
How very SAD!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:15 am

I'm not saying its cool to watch it but coming from the person who is probably 25-mid 30's....

- Has a Transformer logo as an avatar
- Talks on a retro gamer forum about computers 20 odd years ago
- Talks about the cartoon Dungeons and Dragons and admits to having a crush on the 'ginger bird'
- Is raving about the new Transformers film....

I could go on ! If i'm sad for liking Big Brother i dont think your one to talk ! ;)
Last edited by psj3809 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.