Retailers in trouble

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

English Invader

Re: Retailers in trouble

Post by English Invader » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 pm

ALK wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:02 pm
Well, if you're got a spare $800 million there's a Gofundme to save Toys R Us, already a 5th of the way of its goal...

https://www.gofundme.com/helpsavetoysrus
Wow. People have coughed up $200m for this?

It's a no from me because I don't think it makes any sense to prop up a business that can't support itself and IMO the people behind it have a got a bit of a cheek asking money for a business venture and not giving their backers a share in the equity:
Be advised that this is not a donation to a charitable cause, and there is no tax deduction available. It is a donation to a potential commercial venture. The funds raised would be added to other capital being gathered by the potential purchasers of some or all of Toys“R”Us. A donation to this campaign doesn't qualify you to claim equity in any potential acquisition; it simply means you want future generations to be Toys“R”Us kids.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:57 am

No, they've not coughed up anything like that. Nearly all that's been donated is credited to a single offline investor and the online campaign has only raised about $50,000 or so on top of that. I'd agree that it's a total waste of money to donate to it though, when the only potential beneficiaries are venture capitalists who are essentially making an emotional appeal for you to give them free money.

Realistically, if the brand is worth saving, they'll just use the bankruptcy process to default on their debts, close any loss-making operations, and re-open as an essentially new company that won't accept your gift vouchers. I.e. pretty much what Game did a few years back.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:10 am

Stuff like this was always going to happen once the internet got more and more popular.

Its amazing looking at what we have now, go on amazon, look for books, see scans of some images, order it and a day later on your doorstep. Rarely go to Waterstones or that anymore now. Dont get me wrong i still go in 'shops' just much less than i used to, just spend the time doing something else rather than some nightmare trip shopping at the Trafford Centre etc!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:45 am

agreed about the trafford centre- one word- urgh.

i think part of the problem is that people don't really like "modern" shopping centres. The one near work is gradually replacing all stairs with escalators (making it less accessable for people with certain disabilities, mine included), plus the large groups of youths (10+ of them in each group) are somewhat offputting too.

amazon is ok if you can get stuff delivered to a locker

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:03 am

Its crazy when you hear about some of the rents shops have to pay. No wonder many of them are disappearing as they simply cant afford them - talking the independant type of ones.

I remember people being sad when Woolworths went but how many people used them in the latter years ? Perhaps a bit of pick n mix but there was so much tat in Woolies as well, as an adult i would never go in there.

The large shopping centres (Trafford Centre) arent too bad, just soooo incredibly busy, i tend to try and convince the missus to go early or late, in the day they're just ram packed

Just love online shopping, so convienient, easy to send back items without having to speak to 3 managers why you cant return some broken £10 item etc. I work at home so thats obviously useful

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:41 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:03 am
Its crazy when you hear about some of the rents shops have to pay. No wonder many of them are disappearing as they simply cant afford them - talking the independant type of ones.

I remember people being sad when Woolworths went but how many people used them in the latter years ? Perhaps a bit of pick n mix but there was so much tat in Woolies as well, as an adult i would never go in there.

The large shopping centres (Trafford Centre) arent too bad, just soooo incredibly busy, i tend to try and convince the missus to go early or late, in the day they're just ram packed

Just love online shopping, so convienient, easy to send back items without having to speak to 3 managers why you cant return some broken £10 item etc. I work at home so thats obviously useful
It's not just the rent - its the rates too. I pay an awful lot of money to both landlord and council.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:46 am

Yes, ive looked into that in the past

For a small shop in Stockport down one of the backstreets is was nearly 2k, that was about 10 years ago

Thats before you have paid staff

Bit gutted by Gringer games, I did buy a few things from there and they where cheap

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Another 10 years all the major shops will be shut, even the Supermarkets will be mainly home delivery services.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:39 pm

It'll mostly just be the stores where you need everyday stuff right away (A meal, cleaning stuff, etc.) since home delivery can't deliver you a bottle of bleach unless you buy something like £20-30 of the stuff or other items. :lol:

That is, till the drones can do it for us.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 am

Thats entertainment is also closing

Damn, I was going to start going in more often to get more CDs

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42 am

I think it is a real shame the way things are going, call me old fashioned but I prefer to see something in the flesh before I buy it, may be even test it out first. This saves on the hassle of repackaging and returning an item that is not up to spec. Lets face it how often do things go back in to the box the way they came out, especially if cables are involved.

My local town centre is almost completely void of any interesting shops now. It come to the point unless you want your hair cut, a cup of coffee or some cheap tat from a budget shop then there's nothing worth venturing in for. And to add insult to injury they have just put up the parking fees as well.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:18 am

I’m the reverse. As I don’t need to go to so many shops it just gives me more free time to do stuff. Don’t send much back to amazon or whoever as I tend to watch YouTube videos. Encore I buy something normally.

No OTT car park charges or cramped shopping centres. A few clicks and it’s all done

But yeah town centres are becoming depressing places. Just charity shops it seems