Retailers in trouble

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

dste

Retailers in trouble

Post by dste » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Sadly another retailer is now disappearing with the closure of the Toys R Us stores.

A few closed this week with the rest to follow. Unfortunately the business couldn't (or possibly wouldn't) compete with the Internet and other shops. It's sad when people lose jobs, especially so many.
Last edited by dste on Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Arnie

Re: Toys R Us

Post by Arnie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:37 am

dste wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Sadly another retailer is now disappearing with the closure of the Toys R Us stores.

A few closed this week with the rest to follow. Unfortunately the business couldn't (or possibly wouldn't) compete with the Internet and other shops. It's sad when people lose jobs, especially so many.
It is a sad time for retailers at the moment, I think the cost of retail is hampered by the local authorities. Owning or renting and then running a shop is a hell of a lot more than a warehouse that internet retailers use.
I will miss Maplin which is another one going at the moment, yes you could always get parts cheaper online but I could nip down to the local Maplin shop and get it in 10 minutes. You could say the internet has killed the high street store. Maybe someone will write a song with that title one day.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am

I went down my local Toys R Us last week to see what they had, all the games were still around £50 with no reductions at all :shock:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:50 am

Bit of a weird one for me, not a store I have any nostalgia for as we never had one in our town growing up. Went to the local-ish one a couple of times about half a dozen years back when the nephew was younger and it was expensive and loud. i can see why parents would click and collect or buy online

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Nostalgia for what Toys R Us was to me as a kid is one of the main reasons why I didn't go there very often. What was once a source of excitement for all the things I loved became a depressing walk around a store where there was nothing I wanted to buy.

I feel sorry for kids today. They have their smart phones, their tablets and their internet ready game consoles and they're exposed to the adult world too soon without any time to be children.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Ours is like a 15-20 min bus ride for me, so I popped in this week one final time. Reductions yes, but nothing too woop de do. The shelves were already starting to empty and be filled by the large items you'd normally have to get a ticket for someone to go fetch out the back. Had hoped there could of been some gaming bargains or even Legacy Power Ranger toys or even hoped they had old unopened stock from the 80s/90s they could of finally tried to sell like I see sometimes when some US stores close, but even with the size of a store like Toys-R-Us, that was wishful thinking. :lol:

But yeah, mostly also just to visit one final time. There were many a childhood memory going there either as a day out (Because hey, a giant toy store is more than a good enough time!), getting stuff for birthdays and christmas's, even that time I got very sick as a teen and on the way home we popped in to pick a "getting better" present where I picked out Diddy Kong Racing. Since I had 2 weeks off school, you can bet I played that all the time. :lol: And anytime I was in the area, I would at least look to see any gaming bargains (Like the £5 sealed Final Fantasy Tactics Advance I turned down because I had the game, what a fool, but did at least get bargain Wii points for the last batch they had.) and to browse what toy-lines from my childhood were doing these days. As mentioned, I would of loved to collect the Power Rangers Legacy line if I had a bigger place since they were new toys of the first seasons but designed for adult collectors and way more show accurate, but this and the fact that Bandai USA will no longer be making Power Rangers toys next year (Losing the rights to Hasbro) means it was only ever a dream.

It will be a hit on my nostalgia, I will miss going in there every now and then. Looking in the Argos catalogue or online at toy lines just won't be the same.... :/
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:59 pm

The Laird wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am
I went down my local Toys R Us last week to see what they had, all the games were still around £50 with no reductions at all :shock:
According to their website games should have 30% off.

We popped to our nearest store before Christmas and whilst it is a huge building full of toys it just felt empty and soulless. Stuff was cheaper elsewhere and the number of staff was very lacking, especially at the tills where we had a canny wait.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 pm

dste wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:59 pm
The Laird wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am
According to their website games should have 30% off.

We popped to our nearest store before Christmas and whilst it is a huge building full of toys it just felt empty and soulless. Stuff was cheaper elsewhere and the number of staff was very lacking, especially at the tills where we had a canny wait.
I went back again on Sunday and they were 25% off but there were no good ones left anyway. Pricing is all over the place. They still had mountains of Lego at 15% off and tons of board games at 25%.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Sad but not sad. These massive out of town companies helped destroy local toy shops. Now its their turn to die because of the Internet. Don't like seeing people their jobs of course.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 pm
I went back again on Sunday and they were 25% off but there were no good ones left anyway. Pricing is all over the place. They still had mountains of Lego at 15% off and tons of board games at 25%.
The Lego would pretty much be the main thing we would be after as our daughter is really in to it at the moment but 15% isn't worth it, especially when the likes of Smyths and ASDA tend to reduce it on a regular basis anyway.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 am

dste wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 pm
The Laird wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 pm
The Lego would pretty much be the main thing we would be after as our daughter is really in to it at the moment but 15% isn't worth it, especially when the likes of Smyths and ASDA tend to reduce it on a regular basis anyway.
Yep. I was in Sainsburys the other day and they had loads of Lego reduced, some of it was half price!

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 am

Last thing I bought from there was a 4 lane Scalextric f1 set, back in the late 90s, cost a bomb about £150 I think.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 am

Is the failure of Toys R Us in the UK connected to the company in America? Sounds it was doing 'ok' there but then new owners sullied it with debt which lead to the failure (maybe Corbo should take note).
XBL: RetroBob
Wii U: RetroBob
PSN: RetroBobUK
3DS: 0232 8156 8633
Feel free to add me!

dste

Re: Retailers in trouble

Post by dste » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Have changed the title due to other retailers being in trouble such as Grainger Games which ceased to exist last week. Apparently creditors got spooked and cut the money which resulted in them closing with immediate effect. No closing down sale as stock was sent back to suppliers or sold to other retailers such as CEX.

I remember when it was just one stall in the Grainger Market where I used to get Dreamcast games from. Sad times.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

ALK

Re: Retailers in trouble

Post by ALK » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Well, if you're got a spare $800 million there's a Gofundme to save Toys R Us, already a 5th of the way of its goal...

https://www.gofundme.com/helpsavetoysrus
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.