Connecting my old NES to a new HDTV

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kal-Eb

Connecting my old NES to a new HDTV

Post by Kal-Eb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Hey guys. I recently found my old Nintendo system and a bunch of games with it! Most excited to play TMNT as I never beat it as a kid. This game has gotta be the hardest video game ever created lol! Problem though is I can't connect to my TV since it only has hdmi connections. My NES only has those yellow, red, white plugs. A friend showed me this https://bzbexpress.com/CON-AV-HD4K-Comp ... exPro.html . It's a composite video converter. If this is what I need, is $100 reasonable? Because I'm seeing options on amazon under $20 https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-C ... +converter . Why the huge price difference? Will the cheap one work fine? Thanks for any input!

Matt_B

Re: Connecting my old NES to a new HDTV

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 pm

On the whole, you're generally going to find that you get what you pay for and that more expensive converters will give a better quality output than the cheaper ones. The process of conversion involves filtering an analogue signal into its components and digitizing them so, at least to the extent that your money is actually going on higher quality components, you're likely to see cleaner images as a result. That's as opposed to a cable that's purely carrying a digital signal, such as HDMI, where anything good enough to do the job will give precisely the same results.

Big Shoes

Re: Connecting my old NES to a new HDTV

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 am

And as above, you will notice input lag on the cheap ones, the more you spend, the less input lag you will see, the cheap ones are unplayable