Preschool Console Games

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RandomBoo

Preschool Console Games

Post by RandomBoo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Hello, I'm trying to introduce my daughter to gaming, she likes Pokemon, LEGO, and Mario so they would be the obvious choice, however, she's only four and whilst she is OK with the concept of pressing buttons to move the character, and pressing buttons to make it jump, she's not yet able to cope with the multitasking move 'and' jump requirements of most games I have. She currently likes Disney Infinity but she just walks around aimlessly and gets stuck.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a child of pre-school age? (preferably retro)

DPrinny

Re: Preschool Console Games

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Pacman
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Breakout? Pong?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

RandomBoo

Post by RandomBoo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:46 am

Thank you - I think she'd be ok with Pong, don't know why I didn't think of that :/
Regarding Pacman, that game shows no mercy, think that'll put her of for life hahah

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:57 pm

You'd really want a proper paddle control for Pong, it makes it much easier than using keys/stick/pad. That said, if there's a touch screen version of Pong around, that would probably be best, just dragging the bat to wherever needed.

With Pong in mind, a Breakout would be nice and colourful for her and something she could play on her own. If she can cope with that, then maybe move onto an Arkanoid clone to introduce enemies, multi ball etc.

Something like Bank Panic could work, with a key to shoot each door, though she'd probably need you to control which doors were viewed.

Its a tricky age, as they're just getting used to fine motor control, colouring inside lines and stuff, so the finesse needed for a game space may not quite be there yet. Games created for tablets where they're directly interacting with on screen objects may be better than old school stuff where there's that 3rd person abstraction.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:20 pm

A friend has all of the current generation consoles and his 5 year-old likes the Wii U (which I guess will move to the Switch, which he's only had for a couple of weeks).

There's Lego City Undercover, Mario of course, and a couple of other games I can't remember the name of - there's one with nice cartoon-storyish graphics - it's sort of a side-scroller, but you have to guess objects or things the character has to do or use and type them in. It's very basic, things like "fire" and "shoe". From what I remember you only move from side-to-side and don't have to jump (but I could be wrong). His 5 year-old enjoys playing along and obviously my mate is there to guess as well. That sounds like a good fit given what you've said - if no one else knows I can find out what the game is.

In Lego City Undercover (available on other current consoles too) you can just run around aimlessly without having to do much - it's like Grand Theft Auto for kids, though I find it a bit too slow so not quite as fun. So once she'd got used to running around, maybe you could introduce her to other stuff and she'd gradually get used to the more complicated games. I haven't played Mario on the Switch but I'd imagine that'd be similar, as Nintendo like to make games that anyone can play, but are difficult to master - I remember Miyamoto saying he intended Mario 64 as a "pick up and play" toy that had much more to it for hardcore gamers.

Perhaps a NES Mini could be a good starter? Only 2-buttons plus the d-pad, so much easier than the SNES Mini.

RandomBoo

Post by RandomBoo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Thank You for the great responses :D

She does enjoy her iPad games like suggested, I’m just trying to get her interested in the old consoles I have, I guess because it is my history and I want her to experience it. Also she is my only child so she’s the next in line to inherit and continue the legacy that are my Mari Kart skills :)

...Although I was debating trying her on one of the LEGO games.

I’ve had some success with the Gameboy, she loves Tetris, and she is amazing at it, well… her version of it anyway, which is basically building a tower as fast as she can and when the screen goes black she thinks she’s won hahah.

Good idea with the NES, she struggles with some of the buttons on the SNES :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm

She might manage better with an arcade stick, where there's only one thing in her hand to move that correlates directly with up/down/left/right. The physical movement might mean she can work things out more easily than the more abstract button layout of a dpad with one thumb.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.