Broadband providers

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Post Reply
User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Broadband providers

Post by RetroBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm

I have phone and internet through BT, we pay £53.99 a month for the fastest internet they have. Recently I've been getting dropped connections on different wireless devices which is annoying (especially when you go to change thermostat and it lost connection), and I am wondering if I can get something cheaper.

Not interested in TV packages as we don't have time to watch much TV and our needs are met through Netflix and streaming one off stuff.
If I can avoid having a landline at all, that would be preferable
Virgin cable is available
Want fast and unlimited broadband, open NAT etc.

What are people's experiences elsewhere?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8441
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Broadband providers

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Virgin is the only sensible answer. Nobody else comes remotely close to their performance.

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Broadband providers

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 am

The Laird wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm
Virgin is the only sensible answer. Nobody else comes remotely close to their performance.
This. I wouldn'd ditch Virgin unless something faster came along - and it would have to be bloody fast!

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: Broadband providers

Post by RetroBob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks, I looked in to them more last night. Any thoughts on issues with their Hub 3? Seems to be causing some frustration.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8441
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Broadband providers

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 am
Thanks, I looked in to them more last night. Any thoughts on issues with their Hub 3? Seems to be causing some frustration.
I've never had any issues with it.

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: Broadband providers

Post by RetroBob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm
RetroBob wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 am
Thanks, I looked in to them more last night. Any thoughts on issues with their Hub 3? Seems to be causing some frustration.
I've never had any issues with it.
Are you on the new one (Hub 3) or the previous one (Hub 2).
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8441
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Broadband providers

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Hub 3. I got a new one just recently as the old one kept losing Wi-Fi connection

User avatar
Back in Time Sime
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Broadband providers

Post by Back in Time Sime » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 am

I use Zen and so far so good, BT drove me nuts and speaking to the Indian support team was more than I could be bothered with, Zen are UK based, all UK support and tech and much to my supprise the line speeds I got from them (and my speeds are poor due to being rural) are much better than BT could offer (though oddly the very same cables)...

If you dont want the phone though I think you would have to use Virgin, I used to have Virgin where I lived before, when it works its great and it works most of the time, but when you have a issue... wow it really goes to shiz...

I think they are all as bad as each other to be honest, that why I went with a smaller inderpendent (and also as they offer static IP's as I needed one for work reasons)...

So I would recommend Zen as one to at least look at...
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 am

Re: Broadband providers

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Back in Time Sime wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 am
I use Zen and so far so good, BT drove me nuts and speaking to the Indian support team was more than I could be bothered with, Zen are UK based, all UK support and tech and much to my supprise the line speeds I got from them (and my speeds are poor due to being rural) are much better than BT could offer (though oddly the very same cables)...

If you dont want the phone though I think you would have to use Virgin, I used to have Virgin where I lived before, when it works its great and it works most of the time, but when you have a issue... wow it really goes to shiz...

I think they are all as bad as each other to be honest, that why I went with a smaller inderpendent (and also as they offer static IP's as I needed one for work reasons)...

So I would recommend Zen as one to at least look at...

Virgin will do static IP addresses if you ask... we have Virgin at work and a static IP address. :) :)

User avatar
Back in Time Sime
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Re: Broadband providers

Post by Back in Time Sime » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:36 am

Ahh ok, Virgin never used to for home users as I asked, maybe thats changed, I moved out of a Virgin area, so have not had it for a few years...
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jpishgar and 1 guest