Broadband providers

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RetroBob

Broadband providers

Post by RetroBob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm

I have phone and internet through BT, we pay £53.99 a month for the fastest internet they have. Recently I've been getting dropped connections on different wireless devices which is annoying (especially when you go to change thermostat and it lost connection), and I am wondering if I can get something cheaper.

Not interested in TV packages as we don't have time to watch much TV and our needs are met through Netflix and streaming one off stuff.
If I can avoid having a landline at all, that would be preferable
Virgin cable is available
Want fast and unlimited broadband, open NAT etc.

What are people's experiences elsewhere?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

The Laird

Re: Broadband providers

Post by The Laird » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Virgin is the only sensible answer. Nobody else comes remotely close to their performance.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 am

The Laird wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:24 pm
Virgin is the only sensible answer. Nobody else comes remotely close to their performance.
This. I wouldn'd ditch Virgin unless something faster came along - and it would have to be bloody fast!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 am

Thanks, I looked in to them more last night. Any thoughts on issues with their Hub 3? Seems to be causing some frustration.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 am
Thanks, I looked in to them more last night. Any thoughts on issues with their Hub 3? Seems to be causing some frustration.
I've never had any issues with it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:42 pm
RetroBob wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 am
I've never had any issues with it.
Are you on the new one (Hub 3) or the previous one (Hub 2).

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Hub 3. I got a new one just recently as the old one kept losing Wi-Fi connection

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 am

I use Zen and so far so good, BT drove me nuts and speaking to the Indian support team was more than I could be bothered with, Zen are UK based, all UK support and tech and much to my supprise the line speeds I got from them (and my speeds are poor due to being rural) are much better than BT could offer (though oddly the very same cables)...

If you dont want the phone though I think you would have to use Virgin, I used to have Virgin where I lived before, when it works its great and it works most of the time, but when you have a issue... wow it really goes to shiz...

I think they are all as bad as each other to be honest, that why I went with a smaller inderpendent (and also as they offer static IP's as I needed one for work reasons)...

So I would recommend Zen as one to at least look at...
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Back in Time Sime wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 am
I use Zen and so far so good, BT drove me nuts and speaking to the Indian support team was more than I could be bothered with, Zen are UK based, all UK support and tech and much to my supprise the line speeds I got from them (and my speeds are poor due to being rural) are much better than BT could offer (though oddly the very same cables)...

If you dont want the phone though I think you would have to use Virgin, I used to have Virgin where I lived before, when it works its great and it works most of the time, but when you have a issue... wow it really goes to shiz...

I think they are all as bad as each other to be honest, that why I went with a smaller inderpendent (and also as they offer static IP's as I needed one for work reasons)...

So I would recommend Zen as one to at least look at...

Virgin will do static IP addresses if you ask... we have Virgin at work and a static IP address. :) :)

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:36 am

Ahh ok, Virgin never used to for home users as I asked, maybe thats changed, I moved out of a Virgin area, so have not had it for a few years...
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw