8-bit Memoirs Issue #1 released!!!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

misthalu

Re: 8-bit Memoirs Issue #1 released!!!

Post by misthalu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am

misthalu wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:37 am
You can play this ISO file on your PC with any software media player that supports BD-J. I strongly recommend Cyberlink PowerDVD for this. Otherwise VLC is your buddy. (Although VLC is still in its early stages of getting BD-J support, so it's not the best way to experience 8-bit Memoirs at the moment. Expect bugs!)
You need to get one of the latest nightly builds of VLC from https://nightlies.videolan.org/
This should work - but as mentioned, VLC is still missing a lot of features and is also still rather buggy. For example, at the moment it can't figure out how to change the background music to the next track without killing the app. (This used to work fine in a previous nightly build). The workaround is to press SPACE to pause the music, and thus prevent it playing music.
The VLC developers are aware of this issue, and so are the developers of libbluray, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

You don't need to mount the image. VLC will eat the ISO file as it is, just like any other media file. Just select "Open file".

What is your operating system?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Windows 7 64 bit on this PC.

Windows 10 on my tablet, though that only supports 32GB SD cards, so not much chance of me using that to read it as it leaves almost no space for anything else!

The other tablet is Android 5 something.

None of this should matter since Blu Ray is so readily accessible as a format :lol:

I'm really surprised nobody else has weighed in on this thread. I feel a bit of a censored for being picky about it, but it's something I'd like to try, but it is so awkward.

Surely someone else must have something to say about it. I feel like Negative Nelly. Is anyone out there reading/watching this thing or have any other comment to make?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

misthalu

Post by misthalu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Well it should definitely run on your Windows PC. But you do need a version of VLC that comes with BD-J support. So go download one of the latest nightly builds.

I am in close contact with one of the VLC developers, so hopefully it won't be long before the "switch to next track" issue is solved.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:23 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm
Windows 7 64 bit on this PC.

Windows 10 on my tablet, though that only supports 32GB SD cards, so not much chance of me using that to read it as it leaves almost no space for anything else!

The other tablet is Android 5 something.

None of this should matter since Blu Ray is so readily accessible as a format :lol:

I'm really surprised nobody else has weighed in on this thread. I feel a bit of a censored for being picky about it, but it's something I'd like to try, but it is so awkward.

Surely someone else must have something to say about it. I feel like Negative Nelly. Is anyone out there reading/watching this thing or have any other comment to make?

You're taking the time to give honest, constructive feedback which can only be a good thing.

Personally? I would only buy something that worked 'out of the box', so it opens using Windows Media Player or Adobe Acrobat or whatever; something that is likely already integrated into my PC.

Either way, I hope that your creation goes on to be a sucess misthalu.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

misthalu

Post by misthalu » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:47 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:23 pm
Personally? I would only buy something that worked 'out of the box', so it opens using Windows Media Player or Adobe Acrobat or whatever; something that is likely already integrated into my PC.
I see.
Does Windows Media Player or Adobe Acrobat open Amiga ADF files and/or Commodore 64 D64 files too? Or whatever retro-computer you're into.
There's no difference.
If you buy the disc, you do so to run it in a disc player. Just like if you buy a C64 tape (with a new game), you do so to run it in your C64. If you don't wish to buy it, you can download it for free, in which case you'll need an emulator/player on your PC.
And VLC is about as mainstream as a media player can get.
paranoid marvin wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:23 pm
Either way, I hope that your creation goes on to be a sucess misthalu.
Thank you.
Just the fact that I managed to complete it, is success enough for me really. It was getting rather frustrating near the end due to a constant stream of obstacles. 5 years is a long time to spend on a project like this, so I'm really glad it's completed now. :)

iprice

Post by iprice » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:34 pm

I've just purchased the full Blu-Ray. Anything with Amstrad CPC on it has to be worth a looksee. I really wish someone would create a coffee table book (or anything!) about the CPC as they have with the C64 and Speccy. Your next project, perhaps? ;)

:D
I fancy a nice hot cup of tea. Splash of milk. No sugar.

misthalu

Post by misthalu » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Ian,

Yes I got your order. Thank you! Will mail the disc tomorrow. :)
May I ask what you'll be using as a playback device?

I will leave it to someone else to create a paperbook. :)
(Anyone who writes an issues of 8-bit Memoirs is free to target whatever platform he wishes. So issue #2 could easily be in the form of a paperbook).

But for me, I had a strong urge to present my stories in a diskmag-like interface, because diskmags has always given me the kind of relaxed laidback cosy mood that I wish to give everyone else with this project. :)

- Roald

iprice

Post by iprice » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 pm

I have access to PS4, XBox360/One and a stand-alone Blu-Ray player; the latter will most probably be my method of choice. Yes it will be through the tv - it may not be ideal for reading, but we'll see and it's the music I'll probably enjoy the most anyway :)

But I thought I'd help support a project like this as an Amstraddict and a fan of retro gaming.

Looking forward to receiving it :D
I fancy a nice hot cup of tea. Splash of milk. No sugar.

misthalu

Post by misthalu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:45 am

Great! :)

Yes the TV should work fine for reading. You can change fontsize to match whatever distance there is between you and the TV. :wink:

I put a lot of effort into (trying to) please everyone. So PC users can set a small fontsize, since they're very close to the screen, and TV/Blu-ray Player users can set a bigger fontsize.

The same way, you can choose whether you want your words to be split or not, and whether right margin should be justified or not. People just have very different preferences. I know it's impossible to please everyone, but I must have managed to include at least a large group of people here.

Whatever settings you select, your Blu-ray Player will remember them for next time you insert the disc. So it's a one-time setup.

Thanks again for the support! :)

misthalu

Post by misthalu » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm

Forgot to update this post, so it was a while back now, but: A torrent download option was added.

Magnet link:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6c45beed4abf12d5be119d3e61b503e988f77548&dn=8bitMemoirs-Issue1-English.iso&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fpow7.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.bittor.pw%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fthetracker.org%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.dutchtracking.nl%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce

Torrent link:

www.8bitmemoirs.com/8bitMemoirs-Issue1-English.torrent

misthalu

Post by misthalu » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Small update:

VLC is improving. A few weeks ago (or so), I tried the latest nightly build on a Windows machine, and playback had improved. Might be worth a try now.

In other news, I learned about iboum.com; a site that contains a lot of info on various hardware media players, and lets you do a search specifically for players that supports full Blu-ray Java menus - and which therefor should be able to play 8-bit Memoirs from harddisk and/or USB.

Click here to see a list of (supposedly) supported hardware media players.

If you own one of those players and decide to give it a go, please do share your results.

Thanks!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Oh, forgot, reading the mag I saw this was highlighted in there, I'm assuming you knew that.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

misthalu

Post by misthalu » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm
Oh, forgot, reading the mag I saw this was highlighted in there, I'm assuming you knew that.
No I didn't know that.

I did send a copy to Darran, so he could take a look at it and decide whether to write a review or not, but I didn't know what he decided on. I haven't had a chance to see the latest issue yet. I guess I'm gonna have to now. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm

I think it was issue 177, can't check as I left it at work.

misthalu

Post by misthalu » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:09 am

Found this sampler:
https://issuu.com/futurepublishing/docs/ret177.issuu

Page 10 mentions the project. I assume this is what you were referring to?

Nice to be mentioned, but I can't help finding it amusing how many people completely ignores all my reasons for choosing Blu-ray as the format. Instead, it's rejected as an "odd format". Well, sure, we can agree it's definitely not a mainstream format - it's much better! :)

Here are all the reasons why I found Blu-ray to be the perfect format for 8-bit Memoirs:
  • Size: The 5-hour long music playlist and the total of 9 hours of supplemental HD video takes up 24gb. Had it been a website, I risked needing to pay additional hosting fees - just to give it all away for free. After spending 5 years and way too much money making this project, just to give it all away for free, I naturally didn't want to also pay an additional hosting fee. Instead, I wanted to use torrents. (Now, there is a web download available (for now) too anyway. This is because my host decided to sponsor the project (for a while anyway). Gigahost has been an overall very pleasant experience).
  • Impression: On a real Blu-ray player, the 50 fps videos will be displayed at 50 hz, giving an awesome 1:1 smooth result, exactly as it actually looked back in the day - and that's of course what we want. A PC in turn looks crap when showing 50 fps videos on a 60 hz monitor. Jerky and not giving a true impression on how it actually looked back then.
  • Durability: A Blu-ray disc is long lasting. You'll have it the rest of your life. Had it been a website instead, it would eventually die. Probably within the first decade I imagine. Meanwhile, the chances of software players suddenly removing Blu-ray support is very unlikely. So even if physical discs disappears in the near future (which I don't believe they will), we'll always have software media centers that can still play the project.
  • Compatibility: Blu-ray can be played almost anywhere nowadays. If you have the disc, you play it in your modern gaming console (Like PS3 and XB1 and later models of both), or standard Blu-ray players (including the new UHD players). If you don't have one of those, you can play the ISO with a software media player on Windows / Mac / Linux - or on one of the many hardware media players that supports BD-J (I've found 77 different models so far). It's entirely your own choice. You can navigate with your gamepad, or your remote control, or even with your PC mouse (if the player supports it of course). The project was intentionally created in a way so that it could be viewed on that many different platforms. So yes, with a software player like PowerDVD, you can use your PC mouse to navigate the pages, just like you did with a diskmag back in the day. VLC has yet to implement mouse support though.
  • Stability: As I'm sure we can agree; Blu-ray is a "dead" platform. That's exactly what we want! Because that means it doesn't change. And that means that 8-bit Memoirs will run forever without me needing to do any kind of maintenance whatsoever. And that's what I want: To be able to say: "This project is complete now. It's out of my hands", instead of needing to fix a website that breaks every now and then due to new standards and whatnot.
I hope this clears up everything for anyone who's been confused about why I chose to go with Blu-ray. And hopefully, someone out there might even appreciate it too.

It's quite possible that I will create other versions of 8-bit Memoirs in the future. Like e.g. a light webversion, or Desktop Java version. But it will be without all the videos then, and the background music playlist will also be much shorter. And making such a version is in no way a priority for me at the moment.

If you do not appreciate my efforts, and the fact that I'm just giving it all away for free, then this project obviously isn't for you. But maybe issue #2 will be. Depends on what platform the next author chooses. You see, each author is free to pick his own platform, and it's up to the reader to acquire a player for this platform. Be it a certain emulator, or a certain eBook reader, or a certain media player. It'll be interesting to see what it'll be. (Assuming someone out there is up to it).