Project Hubbard (Rob Hubbard Kickstarter) is live!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Spiff

Re: Project Hubbard (Rob Hubbard Kickstarter) is live!

Post by Spiff » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 am
But yes, back to the Kickstarter. Much as I love Rob's work, I'm not really that interested in a bunch of covers by other people in this case.
The Hubbard book can be pledged for by itself, if that appeals. A bit pricey, tho.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:31 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am
Guys, knock off this ridiculous argument. Kieren's video contained an error based on a source he used, someone else had a conversation with Rob Hubbard and corrected the error. There's no lie or misrepresentation as far as I can see, just some poorly worded posts.
What, he thought it might be him but then found that it actually wasn't. That's like asking Stephen King if he wrote The Dark and suddenly remembering it wasn't him but James Herbert. :?
To be fair, I sometimes struggle to remember what I was doing at work weeks ago, let alone decades ago. Sometimes these things happen - there are situations where I've done an interview but not written the resulting feature, or vice-versa. It's not hard to believe that Rob, who did do Atari ST work and did work on Battleships for another platform, might misremember the details decades down the line.
I wasn't actually having an argument. I was just interested in if Laird had actually interviewed my fave C64 musician... and was confused that he wouldn't remember doing the ST version of a tune.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:32 pm

Spiff wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 am
But yes, back to the Kickstarter. Much as I love Rob's work, I'm not really that interested in a bunch of covers by other people in this case.
The Hubbard book can be pledged for by itself, if that appeals. A bit pricey, tho.
A bit pricey? Ridiculously pricey imo. It's only 300 pages. £39 for that? I'll pass, it's almost a pound a page. Is it A1 size or something? Worse is the PDF. £21. For a PDF. Most of these things sell the physical book for near that price.

I like Hubbard, he was hugely influential and I regularly listen to his music, but I think I'll stick with HVSC. I know nothing of music anyway, so I'm not sure how interesting I'd find its production.

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:59 pm

£1 a page, lol, your maths is a bit off Antiriad that would make it £300 ... it works out at 13p a page (if it was 300 pages), but as the zzap64! bit is now going to be included as well ... so an extra 16 pages (with all the old Zzap64! crew).

Yep, they're not the cheapest, but some of the funding will also go towards the 8-bit concert that's planned.

I'm backing it anyways ... so much nostalgia, and Rob was a genius! Loved his SIDs, music of my generation. I'm going for the deluxe CD and the book. Just over 2 days to go .. .wonder how many more stretch goals they can get
c64 > spectrum 48k

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm

And this is all new fresh material, so you know, the writers are being paid to write the content, it isn't just printing and creations costs here.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm

The book is going to be incredibly comprehensive.

Into the last 24 hours now. To answer the question about Rob's original SIDs, they're not part of the Kickstarter... that is all new, original content. But there are plans to offer these in a package on C64audio.com at a later date, which will be tied to this as part of the efforts to finance the concert with the LSO.

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:17 pm

Hmppff...

Abbot you say..

Nothing related to De la Mennais Brothers, i should hope....?

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:21 pm

No, that much I can guarantee.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:25 pm

£75,000 reached, so Matt Gray is doing new remixes of Rob's music.

That last stretch goal is important. An 8-bit Symphony concert, with the famous London Symphony Orchestra PLAYING computer music. I'd love it to happen.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:45 pm

merman wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:25 pm
£75,000 reached, so Matt Gray is doing new remixes of Rob's music.

That last stretch goal is important. An 8-bit Symphony concert, with the famous London Symphony Orchestra PLAYING computer music. I'd love it to happen.
So would I.... and with little time left, I still am finding it hard to justify the costs :( Could be the first C64 project like this that I miss out on.

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Well, if you don't back it now, there's always the option to use c64audio.com, which is taking "pre-orders" and will be for some time after the Kickstarter finishes. These count as pledges towards the goals.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:31 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:31 pm
NickThorpe wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am
What, he thought it might be him but then found that it actually wasn't. That's like asking Stephen King if he wrote The Dark and suddenly remembering it wasn't him but James Herbert. :?
To be fair, I sometimes struggle to remember what I was doing at work weeks ago, let alone decades ago. Sometimes these things happen - there are situations where I've done an interview but not written the resulting feature, or vice-versa. It's not hard to believe that Rob, who did do Atari ST work and did work on Battleships for another platform, might misremember the details decades down the line.
I wasn't actually having an argument. I was just interested in if Laird had actually interviewed my fave C64 musician... and was confused that he wouldn't remember doing the ST version of a tune.
I was addressing the other parties about the argument. I'd hoped separating the two points with your quote would keep them distinct, but it clearly didn't read that way. Sorry for any confusion.