Project Hubbard (Rob Hubbard Kickstarter) is live!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Crusty Starfish

Re: Project Hubbard (Rob Hubbard Kickstarter) is live!

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:36 pm

The Laird wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 am
Atari Mania is considered a very reliable source though, an Atari bible if you will. There is almost never any reason to question the information there. In fact, in all the years I have been involved in the Atari scene this is the first and only time I have seen them get something wrong.

As a writer, and being involved in that community, there are literally a handful of websites that we regard as "verified sources" and Atari Mania has always been one of them. It just shows that anyone can get something wrong I guess.
If you are involved with the Atarimania site, it may be worth getting them to adjust errors already pointed out. But as a writer, maybe you need to use the sites like that but double check info as I can imagine silly mistakes like the Hubbard/Battleships one would end up with people suggesting proper research had not been done.

Thanks for the reply

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:38 pm

I have nothing to do with Atari Mania. But I still consider it an excellent source.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 pm

The Laird wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 am
It was listed on Atari Mania as being his. It has since been discovered that it isn't and Atari Mania were asked to correct the database. I think it's discussed in the comments.
TBF, if it's your video then it's you're responsible for the accuaracy of the content. Not Atari Mania.
It's like copying someone at school then blaming them when you fail. :?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 pm

stvd wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 pm
The Laird wrote:
It was listed on Atari Mania as being his. It has since been discovered that it isn't and Atari Mania were asked to correct the database. I think it's discussed in the comments.
TBF, if it's your video then it's you're responsible for the accuaracy of the content. Not Atari Mania.
Trust you to turn up and attempt to start trouble. Predictable as always!

When you research something you use the best available source. In this case that source is Atari Mania. There was NOTHING anywhere to suggest Atari Mania was wrong and if you had bothered to read the whole story before jumping in you would have known that it was actually my video that brought the issue up and after several chats with Rob himself and some checks of his diary it was discovered it wasn't him and Elite (the publishers) had wrongly attributed it (hence Atari Mania's listing).

But hey blame me if you like, we know that's how you get your jollies dot.fyre.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Not looking to cause trouble. Just pointing out the obvious.
The Laird wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:27 pm
it was actually my video that brought the issue up and after several chats with Rob himself and some checks of his diary it was discovered it wasn't him and Elite (the publishers) had wrongly attributed it (hence Atari Mania's listing)
I believe this to be untrue.
Last edited by stvd on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:53 pm

The Laird wrote:
dot.fyre.
Why u call me this?

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:32 pm

The Laird wrote:
stvd wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 pm
The Laird wrote:
Trust you to turn up and attempt to start trouble. Predictable as always!

When you research something you use the best available source. In this case that source is Atari Mania. There was NOTHING anywhere to suggest Atari Mania was wrong and if you had bothered to read the whole story before jumping in you would have known that it was actually my video that brought the issue up and after several chats with Rob himself and some checks of his diary it was discovered it wasn't him and Elite (the publishers) had wrongly attributed it (hence Atari Mania's listing).

But hey blame me if you like, we know that's how you get your jollies dot.fyre.
I don't know any past history between you two, but stvd is correct that you would be responsible for the accuracy of the content. But I don't get this part of your reply:
after several chats with Rob himself and some checks of his diary it was discovered it wasn't him

Does that mean you were discussing this personally with Rob Hubbard and he had to check his diary to see if HE programmed the music for the game? What, he thought it might be him but then found that it actually wasn't.
That's like asking Stephen King if he wrote The Dark and suddenly remembering it wasn't him but James Herbert. :?

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 pm

Yes, something definitely smells fishy......and it's not you Crusty! :)

Oh, and we don't have any history as such. It's just that if you don't agree with him, you're a trouble maker/troll etc. etc......

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:47 pm

stvd wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 pm
Yes, something definitely smells fishy......and it's not you Crusty! :)
I smell Starfishy.

What I'm actually interested in is, did the Laird personally meet Rob Hubbard (I'd love to have a chat with him) and did he really discuss the music from Battleships on the ST? Seems quite an obscure title when he has produced some quite awesome stuff on better systems.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 am

I didn't talk with Rob myself but somebody else did. I was told that because Rob has done so much conversion work he doesn't always remember what he did for who and when. Apparently some minor tunes that he wrote were literally just assigned to games, rather than being specifically written for games. And this is where the confusion comes about. I will look up the original messages for you.

And yes, STVD and I do have history. He's been relentlessly harassing me years and has has been warned about it on numerous forums including this one multiple times. This escalated somewhat when I was the admin of Retro Video Gamer forum and he was caught using multiple accounts with the intent to cause trouble.

Personally, I have moved on. But he can't.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:56 am

In fact, just as I thought, much of that convo is actually in the comments section of said video, just as I thought it was.

So go ahead and ask Chris yourself, it's all there in black and white.

And people accuse me of not fact checking :roll:

Maybe we can actually get back to the topic now instead of this pointless diversion somehow created to discredit me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 am

Out of curisoisty (honestly not having a dig), has anyone, not necessarily Laird, pointed the Atari Mania guys at this new info to record, since a little history on the error is useful to know.

But yes, back to the Kickstarter. Much as I love Rob's work, I'm not really that interested in a bunch of covers by other people in this case.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:12 am

The Laird wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 am
has been warned about it on numerous forums including this one multiple times.
Lies
The Laird wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 am
This escalated somewhat when I was the admin of Retro Video Gamer forum and he was caught using multiple accounts with the intent to cause trouble.
And more lies.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 am
Out of curisoisty (honestly not having a dig), has anyone, not necessarily Laird, pointed the Atari Mania guys at this new info to record, since a little history on the error is useful to know.

But yes, back to the Kickstarter. Much as I love Rob's work, I'm not really that interested in a bunch of covers by other people in this case.
Yes, I pointed it out to Marko and he said he would fix it. I already explained how the mistake was made in the first place. He's probably forgotten, so I'll give him a nudge when I get a chance.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am

Guys, knock off this ridiculous argument. Kieren's video contained an error based on a source he used, someone else had a conversation with Rob Hubbard and corrected the error. There's no lie or misrepresentation as far as I can see, just some poorly worded posts.
What, he thought it might be him but then found that it actually wasn't. That's like asking Stephen King if he wrote The Dark and suddenly remembering it wasn't him but James Herbert. :?
To be fair, I sometimes struggle to remember what I was doing at work weeks ago, let alone decades ago. Sometimes these things happen - there are situations where I've done an interview but not written the resulting feature, or vice-versa. It's not hard to believe that Rob, who did do Atari ST work and did work on Battleships for another platform, might misremember the details decades down the line.