RetroCanteen/RetroGamer Forums

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroCanteen

RetroCanteen/RetroGamer Forums

Post by RetroCanteen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:41 am

Dear all: (and thanks to the RG team for allowing this post).

There have been a number of unpleasant instances over the past month or so between the Retro Canteen forum and the Retro Gamer forum.

Retro Canteen was set up last year as a backup place to go to should the takeover of Retro Gamer by Future Publishing result in the loss of this forum. This obviously did not happen.
Since then, obviously there have been a few instances where some members from RG were banned. The reasons for this are not being discussed here and are in the past.

As the moderating team over on Retro Canteen, we cannot and will not accept members of our forum coming over here to cause trouble. The rogue accounts that have been popping up lately here (such as Steve Davis or David Brent) are not known to be members of the RC forum - but both were banned when they eventually did join after being removed from here.

RetroCanteen does not condone any forum spats or wars and will ban any RC member that sees fit to cause friction on the RG forum. Personal attacks will no longer be tolerated and will be dealt with accordingly.

We are not stupid enough to think there will never be problems - we are only human! But if anyone feels they have been personally attacked verbally on the Canteen (from this day onwards), please PM this account and we will reply and work out any issues. Please note, we are not overly precious and there is no swear filter on our forum - and people are free to take the pish out of each other as long as it is kept friendly banter.

Our forum rules have just been updated and the Retro Gamer section has now been removed - but feel free to pop over and ustilse the new section for reviews of New & retro games, Mags and Retro gaming books.

Thanks, The Retro Canteen moderating team.

http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

miqrojamie

Re: RetroCanteen/RetroGamer Forums

Post by miqrojamie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:46 am

Your board is in maintenance mode. Welcome to the forums anyway :)
Still, shame people can't be mature and then decide to use other boards as a refuge for when they get banned elsewhere, repeating the same issues as on the site they were banned from, and causing more problems wherever they go. (Though I'm pretty guilty of using other boards as a refuge back in mid to late 2016...)
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:54 am

:D It's not just a forum for banned people - they have lots of forum members that arrived of their own free will!
I'm a lurker over there anyway. Will join in one day.

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Not saying it is. I'm targeting that at those few specific users or whatever was being referred to in the first post, rather than the community as a whole.
My Blog

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Isnt this technically adverting?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:28 pm

For any Retro Gamer members that are also signed on over at Retro Canteen we'll be back online later this evening. Please be patient whilst we perform some house keeping and background maintenance. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RetroCanteen

Post by RetroCanteen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:39 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:42 pm
Isnt this technically adverting?
Hi Prinny, no definitely not advertising. RC has been down all day whilst we sort a few things out and tidy up a bit. We aren't here to ask people to join our forum - we are here to say that both forums have their place that we will not condone any of our forum members coming over here and causing issues and that through some small changes over there we aim to be a little more friendly!

RetroCanteen

Post by RetroCanteen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:54 am
:D It's not just a forum for banned people - they have lots of forum members that arrived of their own free will!
I'm a lurker over there anyway. Will join in one day.
Thanks for that. Why not just join up - lurking achieves nothing!

RetroCanteen

Post by RetroCanteen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:46 pm

miqrojamie wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:04 pm
Not saying it is. I'm targeting that at those few specific users or whatever was being referred to in the first post, rather than the community as a whole.
There are a few that dislike RG and the forum. We can't change that and will not ban people for their views. Everyone is entitled to their opinion over there - its just that we now won't accept the personal attacks on forum members between there and any other forum /site.
The views won't change and they do sometimes make a good point.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post this, a lesser admin could have just left it.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 am

RetroBob wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:33 pm
Thanks for taking the time to post this, a lesser admin could have just left it.
I agree. The fact the admin of RC decided to come here and post actually shows he/she cares about keeping the communities civil.
My Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:43 am

But is it breaching the AUP of this board by creating a second user account for 'RetroCanteen' instead of using their existing login? And/or is it one of the banned members behind that account? :twisted:

Nice intent behind it though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:22 am

Lol. I think I can tell who it is from the writing style :-)
Xbox Live: RetroBob

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:01 am

There are only 4 staff members on rc, any guesses have a 25% chance of being right even if you drew them from a hat :lol:

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 am

why is it called retrocanteen? is it staffed by grumpy middle aged women? :lol: not having a go btw, seems like a good idea.