Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Play Expo Blackpool 15-16 July 2017

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:08 am

Play Expo Blackpool
15-16 July 2017
https://www.playexpoblackpool.com/

Only 1 week away!

Mrs Ant has said several times over the years that she's never been to Blackpool, so we're tentatively planning a drive down for the Saturday (she'll go shopping while I play).
On that note, is there anything like the Trafford centre in Blackpool? Must be some big shopping centre of some kind I would think. I've only ever seen suburbia and the event location, never really done the tourist thing.

I'm rather looking forward to revisiting the old place. I'm thinking the most obvious choice of clothing would be my old Oric T-shirt, though I'm not sure what kind of state its in these days. If you see someone in an Oric shirt, have a chat, it might just be me.

Anyone else going along?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

resident paul

Re: Play Expo Blackpool 15-16 July 2017

Post by resident paul » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:08 am
Play Expo Blackpool
15-16 July 2017
https://www.playexpoblackpool.com/

Only 1 week away!

Mrs Ant has said several times over the years that she's never been to Blackpool, so we're tentatively planning a drive down for the Saturday (she'll go shopping while I play).
On that note, is there anything like the Trafford centre in Blackpool? Must be some big shopping centre of some kind I would think. I've only ever seen suburbia and the event location, never really done the tourist thing.

I'm rather looking forward to revisiting the old place. I'm thinking the most obvious choice of clothing would be my old Oric T-shirt, though I'm not sure what kind of state its in these days. If you see someone in an Oric shirt, have a chat, it might just be me.

Anyone else going along?
Me & woody.cool is going to Play Blackpool for both days! :D
The Norbreck Hotel where the event is held is sort out of the way of shopping centres, she needs to hop on a tram or bus to travel more central Blackpool!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:03 pm

That's ok, I'll be driving so can drop her off wherever. I know where the event is, hence me not having a clue what's in the city centre. I have wandered about a bit looking for a decent pub when I've been there for work, but that was stuck in a hotel way down the other end of Blackpool. That bit in the middle I have no clue.

Haven't seen yourself or Woody in years! Or anyone really, since most of the old crew weren't at Glasgow last year.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:03 pm
That's ok, I'll be driving so can drop her off wherever. I know where the event is, hence me not having a clue what's in the city centre. I have wandered about a bit looking for a decent pub when I've been there for work, but that was stuck in a hotel way down the other end of Blackpool. That bit in the middle I have no clue.

Haven't seen yourself or Woody in years! Or anyone really, since most of the old crew weren't at Glasgow last year.
Decent pubs and blackpool are two very different things

Only good if you like pissy larger and a censored atmos

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Right - it's very much a stag/hen town, pissed up groups throwing up fighting etc - best to set your Mrs' expectations. That said, The venue really is great for Replay, just don't stay there overnight.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:36 pm

I know the venue, worked there a couple of times in the early days, hotel is sorted, just need info on shopping malls.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:36 pm
I know the venue, worked there a couple of times in the early days, hotel is sorted, just need info on shopping malls.
You would need to go to America for that :wink:

Shopping wise Blackpool TC has all the usual places

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:55 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:52 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:36 pm
You would need to go to America for that :wink:
Nope. Just came back from Tenerife on Monday and spent a day at the Siam Mall there ;)

I tend to think of shopping centres as being smaller than malls, since they're often no more than 3 or 4 shops in an area. That mall designation in my mind conjures images of large indoor complexes like the Trafford (Centre - I know).

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:05 am

Blackpool is a little far for me but i always go to the Manchester Gig, and the trafford centre is well worth a visit next door.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Blackpool and Manchester are so close together that it makes little difference to me.