no I prefer books on tape/cd/other audio book formats
3%
other
10%

Total votes: 29

stayAwhile

Books vs ebooks

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 pm

I've really enjoyed reading the responses to my recent polls and had a few ideas for more i.e hand drawn vs tablet drawn art(which I might put up soon) but I decided the subject that intrests me alot is do you buy ebooks or do you prefer a paperback/hardback.

I prefer physical books you get the feel the smell and the seem some how easier to read, I will how ever get ebooks if A it's an ebook exclusive B its too price physical or C it's free for example i have the first 3 slow burn ebooks as they were free on amazon.

I tried digital comic books and wasnt impressed(the mask cd rom comic book and watchmen motion comic work well though) and tried a pdf scan of a coffee table style book and did'nt get into it bought a physical version and loved it.
This guy are sick

Matt_B

Re: Books vs ebooks

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 am

I've stopped buying paperbacks and get all the novels I read as eBooks. Stick them on Google Books or Kindle and you can read them anywhere, across multiple devices.

I don't think they're a good replacement for reference books, cook books, coffee table books, etc. though, so I still buy those in hardback.

Comics can work as eBooks, but you really need a tablet with a large high quality screen. Something like a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire just doesn't cut it, but if you can run to a Surface Pro or an iPad Pro you might find that they work better.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:07 am

What Matt said.

Mrs Ant goes one further and has taken to buying books from Amazon that also have an audio version. If you buy both, it often only costs a couple of quid extra, and it'll synch audio and ebooks up so you can jump between devices without losing place. Read an ebook in bed, then continue the audio book on the drive to work.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:08 am

I much prefer a printed book but if the cost is too high or its simply not available I am happy to go digital.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 pm

At the moment, it's still the printed word for me. I think I might get a Kindle in the future.

I think charity shops sell old books really cheap nowadays. Hey - it might be the only way that you find a copy of "Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley". :lol:

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:42 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 pm
At the moment, it's still the printed word for me. I think I might get a Kindle in the future.

I think charity shops sell old books really cheap nowadays. Hey - it might be the only way that you find a copy of "Fly Fishing by J. R. Hartley". :lol:
my name? yes it's J R Hartly
This guy are sick

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Never read an ebook before.

Nothing against them but I love reading a physical book. We tend to go to the Library at least once a fortnight so have been getting a few books out recently.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:20 pm

For books it has to be in paper format
Manga/comics/mags im ok with reading them off a tablet, reading them off a desktop screen seems off
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:08 pm

dste wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Nothing against them but I love reading a physical book. We tend to go to the Library at least once a fortnight so have been getting a few books out recently.
I used to think like that until I tried Mrs Ant's first Sony eReader many moons ago. I was very quickly a convert. With a modern eink Kindle making page turning instant, you really should give it a go. If nothing else, it drastically cuts down on baggage weight while travelling, having a whole stack of books in one lightweight package. Cheap now too, and with lots of free novels around as tasters for new authors or tasters to get you into a series (I've even read books written by members here - the Robin Hood reimagining being particularly enjoyable). Out of copyright stuff is readily available too, with classics like Frankenstein.

The current touch screen Kindles really have cemented the experience, I'd find it hard to go back to paper now for novels.

Avoid the android Fire Kindles for reading though. Not that there's anything wrong with those, but it just isn't the same. And they don't work in bright sunlight (e.g. on the beach) unlike the eink screens of a proper eReader. I love my Kindle.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Physical books for me, I have a short attention span and with an eBook my mind wanders too easily, I've got copies of stuff from as far back as the 40's and more modern stuff.
Watching you sleep since 1990

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:08 pm
dste wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:11 pm

I used to think like that until I tried Mrs Ant's first Sony eReader many moons ago. I was very quickly a convert. With a modern eink Kindle making page turning instant, you really should give it a go. If nothing else, it drastically cuts down on baggage weight while travelling, having a whole stack of books in one lightweight package. Cheap now too, and with lots of free novels around as tasters for new authors or tasters to get you into a series (I've even read books written by members here - the Robin Hood reimagining being particularly enjoyable). Out of copyright stuff is readily available too, with classics like Frankenstein.

The current touch screen Kindles really have cemented the experience, I'd find it hard to go back to paper now for novels.

Avoid the android Fire Kindles for reading though. Not that there's anything wrong with those, but it just isn't the same. And they don't work in bright sunlight (e.g. on the beach) unlike the eink screens of a proper eReader. I love my Kindle.
for traveling kindles are great but home use I will always prefer real books
This guy are sick

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 pm

I only read physical books never read an ebook. Member of Libary and get most of my books free from Healthy Planet. Still have over 6 ft of old computer mags Mean Machines, Game Xkne, Super Play complete sets etc Will never do Ebooks
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 am

Never say never. Ebooks aren't even the future, they are the now. You will read one at some point. If you don't it'll be you that ends up missing out.

muRte

Post by muRte » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:33 pm

I usually read ebooks during my holidays. At home, I prefer the real deal.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Reading? Don't read books although I do read Retro Gamer and maybe a newspaper on the odd occasion.