I buy laser discs
3%
physical media is dying
13%

Total votes: 38

TheDude18

Re: do you buy dvds

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:15 am

I still have a purge in CEX now and again on DVDs - Normally films I've enjoyed and don't mind paying a quid for. They tend to be films I've long forgotten about until I've seen them on the shelf.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 am

I only buy dvds now if its a niche area of interest...for example I bought Charley says dvd which is full of PIFs, then I noticed some of its ilk in the BFI releases so bought them. Things like retro tv releases Ill buy like network dvd stuff and Grange Hill etc but any manistream movies or tv stuff I dont bother with buying anymore.

I tried to flog my unwanted stuff on gumtree, something like 50 dvds some double box sets like the office or Alan partridge for £30. Zero interest, walking around a carboot sale on the weekend and many are selling them 3 for a quid...so maybe interest in dvd is drastically changing, although to be fair most were dire kids movies like home alone 5 and such.

Poundland does some good deals with some of their array of weird dvds. I had the complete Mrs Merton and Malcolm for £1 and The Water Margin a few episodes pspUMD £1

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:54 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 am
I only buy dvds now if its a niche area of interest...for example I bought Charley says dvd which is full of PIFs, then I noticed some of its ilk in the BFI releases so bought them. Things like retro tv releases Ill buy like network dvd stuff and Grange Hill etc but any manistream movies or tv stuff I dont bother with buying anymore.

I tried to flog my unwanted stuff on gumtree, something like 50 dvds some double box sets like the office or Alan partridge for £30. Zero interest, walking around a carboot sale on the weekend and many are selling them 3 for a quid...so maybe interest in dvd is drastically changing, although to be fair most were dire kids movies like home alone 5 and such.

Poundland does some good deals with some of their array of weird dvds. I had the complete Mrs Merton and Malcolm for £1 and The Water Margin a few episodes pspUMD £1
alot of poundland dvds are replay(refurb dvds from music magpie) and are mostly commonn dvds but they do get brand new dvds too i got beadles about series 1
This guy are sick

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:47 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:54 pm
RetroAerosmith wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 am

alot of poundland dvds are replay(refurb dvds from music magpie) and are mostly commonn dvds but they do get brand new dvds too i got beadles about series 1
Also Blurays

Did get Raiders of the lost Shark from there..........
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:07 pm

My local Poundland, which is actually 90p Land due to their ongoing sale, had 21 and 22 Jump Street on Blu Ray

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:43 pm

I think I own about 9 dvds :lol:
Mysterious Cities of gold box sets parts 1 and 2
Ulysses 31 box set
Zatachi special edition with film cell etc
The Wraith (me in my car)
The Witches
Neon Maniac's
Ghost House box set with blue ray and dvd and other grubbins

Evil Toons, Countess Bathory and some other garbage I was given
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Considering streaming is only as good as your internet connection I still regularly buy physical stuff.
Watching you sleep since 1990

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:52 am

I buy DVDS all the time , new and second hand, although most of mine come from Music Magpie via Amazon and the cost is literally pennies , the postage is always £1,26 regardless.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 pm

oldtimer wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:52 am
I buy DVDS all the time , new and second hand, although most of mine come from Music Magpie via Amazon and the cost is literally pennies , the postage is always £1,26 regardless.
I did use music magpie till i ordered spiderman superbit and got the standard version long story short two weeks later refunded turns out they never had the superbit dvd at all.

but dvds can be cheap new on amazon it's where i get dr who dvds from including sealed silver disc dr who dvd which were stoped in 2004 i think and all classic dw now have picture lables
This guy are sick

muRte

Post by muRte » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Yep, I still buy DVDs, preferentially those special editions.

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Any offline media is infinitely better than online media simply for the fact you can do what you want with it and there isn't a fee to use it like Netflix. :)
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Can you add 'Sorry but the board is temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.' as an option in all of these polls? It seems very popular at the mo!

miqrojamie

Post by miqrojamie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:28 pm
Can you add 'Sorry but the board is temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.' as an option in all of these polls? It seems very popular at the mo!
I was going to reply to that when it appeared , just after reading it last night! :D

I think changing the "expiry of online users being online" might actually fix the issue as at the moment it is only set to 2 minutes, as well blocking bad crawlers like Ahrefs and majestic12 might help tone it down...
Jamie Dignam | miqrojamie
My Blog

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:02 pm

yea, I usually browse the dvd section of charity shops and see what's there. sometimes I find the odd thing which I am not expecting to find and if it's a film I thought was memorable, rewatchable or had a soundtrack I enjoyed I might pick it up.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 pm

I once had a collection of over 1500 VHS tapes, I sold all those to collect DVD's, i then sold my 1000+ DVD's to get Blu-Ray....Well....Last year I sold most of my Blu-Ray collection, I only have about 20 left to start collecting 4K UHD Blu-Rays, this time I am only buying the titles i will watch a lot. Luckily I have backed up all my DVD's and Blu-Rays to my 16tb NAS, so I still have all the films and TV shows to watch whenever I want.