I still buy VHS
3%
I buy laser discs
3%
physical media is dying
13%

Total votes: 38

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: do you buy dvds

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:29 pm

There's also Disney, which have released the Laserdisc sized sleeves for certain films like : Guardians of the Galaxy, Rogue One, Star Wars : The Force Awakens and Rogue One(there's more I know). So, collectors might want to get them. They contain the digital copy, DVD and Blu Ray.

I think back in the Laserdisc days, it was more interesting for collectors, I viewed a couple of YouTube videos from collectors; it seems interesting with all the extras that you got back then(e.g. the script in book form and collections of art for Disney and Pixar releases).

I think the recent steelbook release of Interstellar that you got a strip of 70 mm film from the movie.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Funnily enough out of nowhere I've pretty much stopped buying them.

Used to buy loads, especially when cheap, but after getting Netflix just kind of stopped. Last one I received was X-Men: First Class last July and the last one I bought was probably 21 Jump Street around the same time, was only 50p in Grainger Games.

Recently had a clear out of DVDs and only kept the stuff that I know I will definitely watch again. I'll most likely buy The Detectorists complete box set when it's released and maybe one day the Marvel stuff but at the moment there is nothing that makes me go wow, I must own that.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:22 pm

I also still buy Video tapes as I like the covers "scene from cover doesn't appear anywhere in film" buying DVDs just seems a filthy obscene misuse of my money.. I bought Poochy Special video in the chazza today

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:09 am

I Still buy DVDs/Blu-Rays, but nowhere as much I used to.
Slowly I am replacing my favourite films from DVD to Blu-Ray, but I tend not to bother with comedies etc. Only films which I think would benefit from the upgrade - My last purchase was the new Blu-Ray version of Heat.

I love collecting (as most of us do on here) and physical copies of films are no different. I have multiple versions of Blade Runner on four different formats! But I have considerably slowed down in the purchasing, partly down to not having the money I previously had (Family, Weddings, other things to collect!) and the introduction of Netflix and the like. Also I love the special features on the formats, but since Blu-Ray was introduced the quantity of special features have reduced significantly.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:57 am

I used to have over 1000 dvds before realising how pointless it was since I'd never watch most of them again. Now I'm down to about 200 and don't regret it at all. I do buy blu rays but generally only for films I know I'll watch more than once

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:56 am

Ever since my Playstation 4 had the 4.50 update & got the PSVR I have been collecting 3D Blu Ray films!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:37 pm

I done a recent clear out of the DVD which I'm not going to watch again. It's sort of strange how the took off in our culture : first being these shiny new things that you saw with their own unique section in retail places like HMV, then slowing coming down in price and gaining popularity, then the free giveaways of films by the newspapers in the early 2000s, competing alongside Blu Ray and now down to pennies at places like Cex and even HMV do some of special offers of about £3 each or 3 for £15.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:37 pm
I done a recent clear out of the DVD which I'm not going to watch again. It's sort of strange how the took off in our culture : first being these shiny new things that you saw with their own unique section in retail places like HMV, then slowing coming down in price and gaining popularity, then the free giveaways of films by the newspapers in the early 2000s, competing alongside Blu Ray and now down to pennies at places like Cex and even HMV do some of special offers of about £3 each or 3 for £15.
I think hmv still sell alot of dvds at full price dvds but theres less hmv stores now same as how game stores halved i guess. as for cex they price on rarity and release date
This guy are sick

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:57 am
I used to have over 1000 dvds before realising how pointless it was since I'd never watch most of them again. Now I'm down to about 200 and don't regret it at all. I do buy blu rays but generally only for films I know I'll watch more than once
it's more about collecting really for me and assoitiating memories with a movie and reading the booklets ect
This guy are sick

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:29 pm

I have about 250 dvds but only started collecting 2 years ago. I collect mostly tv boxsets like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. My favourite dvd has to be The Conjuring as it is the only movie to have disturbed my sleep for a whole month. Yes, for one month I had to sleep with the lights on!! I have only ever seen it the one time. I don't think I have the balls to watch it again....

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:24 pm

The one advantage with physical media is that you have it. The one thing you cannot allow for is a licence running out and a film or series disappearing for years never to be seen again.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:10 pm

That isn't much of an advantage when its so easy to download a copy of said show/movie without any DRM, playable on any just about any device. I have no qualms whatsoever about downloading rips of things I've paid for, since they usually give me a better experience without all the enforced menus, ads and trailers so common on retail purchases. With that on my media server, I can stream to any TV in the house, tablet, phone, or install for offline viewing e.g. at the gym.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:10 pm
That isn't much of an advantage when its so easy to download a copy of said show/movie without any DRM, playable on any just about any device. I have no qualms whatsoever about downloading rips of things I've paid for, since they usually give me a better experience without all the enforced menus, ads and trailers so common on retail purchases. With that on my media server, I can stream to any TV in the house, tablet, phone, or install for offline viewing e.g. at the gym.
the advantage for me as a huge film buff you get the poster art ect on the case and your dvd shelf feels like an archive of films some of which will never be on netflix
This guy are sick

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:10 pm
True, its rare for something to not be online

Ok that Ross Abbot fishing madness isnt and I cant seem to find "Duck soup" in full on Youtube

Most films these days have adds in them
Chirspy cream anyone?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:40 pm

I mainly buy blu rays these days, I recently chucked the majority of my dvd cases, kept a few of the special edition ones though, to get some shelf space back.
Splink!