I buy laser discs
3%
physical media is dying
13%

Total votes: 38

stayAwhile

do you buy dvds

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:25 pm

I still buy dvd's I prefer them to streaming and also I collect dvds but was wonder who does and doesn't buy dvds and why?
This guy are sick

Matt_B

Re: do you buy dvds

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Where's the Blu Ray option? :D

I still buy the occasional one, but only really for the keeper films. I don't really see the point of having them on the shelf if they're unlikely to get watched more than once; for that sort of stuff, streaming is enough.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:26 am

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 pm
Where's the Blu Ray option? :D

I still buy the occasional one, but only really for the keeper films. I don't really see the point of having them on the shelf if they're unlikely to get watched more than once; for that sort of stuff, streaming is enough.
I sort of class blu ray as a form of dvd to be fair. see whilst I understand this I prefer a shelf full A it's easier to look through B I have plenty to watch if Broadband is down C you get a stable decent bitrate that isnt afftect in ways streaming is and D I think it looks good as does a shelf of books that may or may not be re read sometimes you see a physical item and it's look,feel or scent can hold memories i.e the green case of hulk has a great smell that reminds me of the year 2004.

but that's just me as a collector the problem with this is you have to part with dvds for space reasons so in that respect buying few and far between can be best.

plus as well some stuff isnt on streaming and rarely comes on tv so requires a dvd or sometimes vhs purchase(strange how some vhs stuff never got a dvd)
This guy are sick

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 am

Yes I do, how do I vote?
I tend to buy stuff in box set format or off amazon when super cheap, still buy quite a few at boot fairs, as most of the time they are 50p.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:32 am

No, I buy Blu Rays and would only consider DVD if there was no Blu Ray.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:43 am

I buy DVD's, but mainly for the kids, or if there's a nice box set available of something I like I could be tempted.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:56 am

Yes blu rays all the way. High def audio is a massive plus point for me seeing as tv and Internet streaming has a lot way to catch up with the quality you get from a disc.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:31 am

I still pick up DVD and Blu Ray discs, but usually copy them to a home media server - I set one up for a disabled relative so that they would have easier access to their films, and found that it was just really convenient to have.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:43 am

Occasionally buy a DVD if its cheap, but tend to go for Blu Ray for keeper films now. DVD looks garbage on a 50" screen in comparison. More often I'll just stream/download a movie, especially if its some random unknown thing. Between Amazon Prime and Wuaki, there's little reason to buy physically for those.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Yeah - I do get them occasionally. If somewhere like HMV is doing a deal - they were selling some Hitchcock films for about £3 each at one time. Also, if I am in Cex, then if there's something there that I like or have not seen - then I get it.

I've sort skipped Blu Ray. I plan on getting a player soon - but at the moment - I'm in no rush to upgrade my collection.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:48 pm

Also I forgot to mention I like the making of's and other extras you get. Arrow films does some excellent special editions that also include soundtracks cd's etc...

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Some people are into steelbooks as well. So, they might collect them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:13 pm

censored please, I still buy VHS tapes

But with a cut off point, nothing released in the 2000s and nothing widescreen, DVD or streaming for the rest

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm

bensonrad wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 am
Yes I do, how do I vote?
I tend to buy stuff in box set format or off amazon when super cheap, still buy quite a few at boot fairs, as most of the time they are 50p.
I'm using amazon alot but it's a pain when you find a rare item and it fails to arrive
This guy are sick

ALK Temp

Post by ALK Temp » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:09 pm
Some people are into steelbooks as well. So, they might collect them.
Used to myself, but the hobby got too out of hand with the number of releases that would come every month and not being sure how much the price would go up after it became OOP (Usually the first lot of Marvel Steelbooks.). May return to it and rebuy some of the collection someday, but more at a 1 at a time pace.

Yeah, still buy DVDs/Blu Rays. Just that preference over having a physical collection that won't disappear because a streaming license expires or whatever and just having it there to look at while I pick something to put on.