streaming
32%
Other
9%

Total votes: 22

Antiriad2097

Re: How do you watch tv?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:47 am

Its very rare for me to watch a show live, almost all my shows are downloaded. The odd episode of Doctor Who or Poldark are about it, due to them more or less fitting my schedule. Most shows I watch just don't fit that bill. Who wants to watch TV when someone else says so instead of making your own schedule?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:44 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:47 am
Its very rare for me to watch a show live, almost all my shows are downloaded. The odd episode of Doctor Who or Poldark are about it, due to them more or less fitting my schedule. Most shows I watch just don't fit that bill. Who wants to watch TV when someone else says so instead of making your own schedule?
I prefer it but i'm not the kind to binge watch i prefer ancipating weekly installments plus there fully live shows that won't be live on demand
This guy are sick

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm not generally a binge watcher either, I just like to watch a whole episode on my own time. Even live shows (which I can only think of X-Factor) we often watch after the event.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Mainly watch recorded / series link stuff via a Freeview recorder. Like Sky Plus without the constant fee paying, but less channels. Cheap as chips!
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm

If you watch a show over several seasons, you can be talking about a 4 or 5 year period . Its easy to forget some subplots or minor characters, and when they resurface several seasons later it can be dificult to recall them.

Watching boxsets of GOT I understand the storylines so much better, and some of the less notable things that are said or done can be seen as a foreshadowing of events to come.

In fact I enjoyed GOT even more second time around (via boxset) than I did watching it first time in serial format.
Of course I remembered the major plotlines, but some of them made more sense; some things I'd forgotten and was pleasantly surprised to remember.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:14 pm
I'm not generally a binge watcher either, I just like to watch a whole episode on my own time. Even live shows (which I can only think of X-Factor) we often watch after the event.
I guess it comes down to weather you like planned watching or semiplanned really i guess with over the air tv you can plan to watch dr who but after wards channel surf to discover whats on but if you know you want to watch several shows and not random stuff streaming is more suited.

either way the choice of ways to watch tv are good for all
This guy are sick

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:41 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm
If you watch a show over several seasons, you can be talking about a 4 or 5 year period . Its easy to forget some subplots or minor characters, and when they resurface several seasons later it can be dificult to recall them.

Watching boxsets of GOT I understand the storylines so much better, and some of the less notable things that are said or done can be seen as a foreshadowing of events to come.

In fact I enjoyed GOT even more second time around (via boxset) than I did watching it first time in serial format.
Of course I remembered the major plotlines, but some of them made more sense; some things I'd forgotten and was pleasantly surprised to remember.
I find this happens a lot. I watched GOT religiously every week, then months passed for the second half of a season. When it started to get hip to watch it, all my mates binged the box sets and started talking about stuff which i couldnt remember seeing ,which made me out to be the noob. ANother guy that read the books before binging on the boxsets explained all the differences between the book and tv, saying that so and so doesnt die in the red wedding or that daughter doesnt get sacrificed...and i couldnt remember half of what he was comparing.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:41 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm

I find this happens a lot. I watched GOT religiously every week, then months passed for the second half of a season. When it started to get hip to watch it, all my mates binged the box sets and started talking about stuff which i couldnt remember seeing ,which made me out to be the noob. ANother guy that read the books before binging on the boxsets explained all the differences between the book and tv, saying that so and so doesnt die in the red wedding or that daughter doesnt get sacrificed...and i couldnt remember half of what he was comparing.
I hate mid season breaks they started as a neccessity during the writers strike in the us and stayed dr who used them for series 6 and 7 (it worked well in 7 though as it ended with amy and rories last episode there was anothe sort of clara ep before her debut in 7.5 ready for the 50th year but other wise theyre useless)
This guy are sick

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:07 am

Ah, mid season breaks - yeah, they are a real nuisance. Hence, why I tend to binge watch seasons of shows.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:22 pm

Freeview and Netflix here. But I dont use a lot of either. They tend to be on in the background most of the time.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:07 am
Ah, mid season breaks - yeah, they are a real nuisance. Hence, why I tend to binge watch seasons of shows.
Only a major problem with American TV

Show a few episodes BREAK
Then show 5 episodes a week BREAK!

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 am

Never live now.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:28 pm

I have Sky and Amazon Prime but i download everything. The only thing I watched at the time it was aired was 'The Grand Tour'
The other 20+ TV shows i watch i just download. I put them on my USB stick then watch them at work.